Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 05:50 PM

163 posts, read 87,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
This thread sound as if Florida is dangerous and a precarious disaster area waiting to happen. It isn't.

Humidity is not toxic--unless you mean air pollution?
If you would never live there---what if you suddenly was given a totally free cool home near the coast. I would go, wouldn't you?
Well you see, there's the problem. People stereotype states. Things like: Florida has terrible humidity all year long, hurricanes are a huge threat, alligators and snakes are everywhere, and the bugs are horrible.

It's the same thing as saying: I wouldn't move to California because of the earthquakes, wildfires, and landslides. Or: There's no way am I living in Kansas or Oklahoma because of all the tornadoes.

Do some of these things sometimes occur in these states? Yes. But as long time residents know, there isn't a constant threat of these things happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 05:55 PM

6,650 posts, read 4,360,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier1962 View Post
Well you see, there's the problem. People stereotype states. Things like: Florida has terrible humidity all year long, there's a huge threat from hurricanes, alligators and snakes are everywhere, and the bugs are horrible.

It's the same thing as saying: I wouldn't move to California because of the earthquakes, wildfires, and landslides. Or: There's no way am I living in Kansas or Oklahoma because of all the tornadoes.

Do some of these things sometimes occur in these states? Yes. But as long time residents know, there isn't a constant threat of these things happening.
I grew up very close to the AL/FL state line - I can tell you the following are NOT stereotypes, but reality: hurricanes, humidity, summer heat, snakes, bugs, including lots of mosquitoes. Didn't see too many alligators; they were mainly furthur south.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:11 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,014,180 times
Quote:
If you would never live there---what if you suddenly was given a totally free cool home near the coast. I would go, wouldn't you?
Here in LA, we don't trust the air we can not see.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:28 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,782,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
For whatever it's worth, I love your tree and you have a lovely house.
Thank you! I love that tree too, but I’m bit of a Lorax. I planted a mahogany this year and a gumbo limbo three years ago for larger trees. I wish I had room for more.

We are in SWFL and there are roads designated as canopy roads where live oaks meet over the road. This is one of the roads on the way to our closest beach. It is a burden to live here among all the stunted, non-thriving trees.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-02-2020 at 07:07 PM..

Old 09-02-2020, 06:41 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,076,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Here in LA, we don't trust the air we can not see.
As God intended.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:47 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,076,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The stunted trees in our yard has got to be the worse part of living in Florida. I don’t know why we stay.
Oh my! Does the humidity do that? I know when I visited a mall in FL there were all these small old people!
https://www.livescience.com/39461-se...ood-trees.html

Old 09-02-2020, 06:50 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,782,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The reality is that trees in many areas of FL appear stunted AND not vigorous. Certainly, there are some parts in the Panhandle and around Tallahassee where trees do better. The furthur south you go, the less hospitable the soil and climate is for most trees. Palms and crepe myrtles do well in hot weather, although the latter do begin to drop leaves with drought and too much heat. There are areas in FL that I like, but not so much for the trees.
Wrong. I live in SWFL. What you are describing are coastal environments, not the rest of FL. The climate and soil would be inhospitable to non-native trees from your area. This climate is good for many native trees and unfortunately many non-native invasive trees. You only need to use your browser to educate yourself, but if becoming educated isn’t your goal and disseminating false impressions are, carry on.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:02 PM

17,388 posts, read 11,373,810 times
Humid climates usually have environments that trees and shrubs thrive in depending on the species. You wouldn't plant a sugar maple in the tropics nor would you plant a macadamia tree in Canada. It's all relative.
The most humid areas in the world are the ones that have very diverse forests and wildlife. That's why there's a green belt of thick lush vegetation around the equator including the Amazon.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:22 PM

6,650 posts, read 4,360,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Humid climates usually have environments that trees and shrubs thrive in depending on the species. You wouldn't plant a sugar maple in the tropics nor would you plant a macadamia tree in Canada. It's all relative.
The most humid areas in the world are the ones that have very diverse forests and wildlife. That's why there's a green belt of thick lush vegetation around the equator including the Amazon.
Hawaii is hot and humid, but the volcanic soil plays a huge role in its lush vegetation by enriching it. To my knowledge, Florida has nothing that looks like the road to Hana.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:39 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 13 days ago)

16,118 posts, read 21,263,056 times
Quote:
This thread sound as if Florida is dangerous and a precarious disaster area waiting to happen. It isn't.

Nope, I would not. Saying that as someone who lived along Gulf Coast areas for nearly a decade. The humidity can be soul sucking, it sent me into depression. I grew up being outdoors in the forest and fields of Michigan and simply never was able to adapt to the brutal difference.

I think anyone who has actually been through the aftermath of a major hurricane or two might disagree with the sentiment that FL is not a precarious area or that hurricanes are no big deal. Especially if you walk outside and notice a small plane flipped upside down in the middle of the road, having been blown there from the airport ten miles away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement