Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 09:52 AM

6,039 posts, read 3,758,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Sugarloaf "Mountain", the highest point in Lake County is actually an ancient sand dune. Really barely even hills in Fl - the highest point in Florida is at 345 Ft - Britton Hill (pic below) - there are buildings in Miami that have floors above that.

Britton hill "summit"
See post number 13 in this thread below for a view of some hills in Florida.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/orla...ot-flat-2.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 12:15 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,766,189 times
I will take heat and humidity a few months a year over cold and snow a few months a year.

Old 03-25-2023, 11:19 AM

140 posts, read 142,940 times
Hi All,

Sorry that I haven't been online much. I appreciate all of your responses and information.

We have hit a couple of bumps in the road since the first of the year. Replacing all leech lines due to roots at a cost of $17k.
My husband had a couple of syncope episodes on March 6th and was in the hospital for 3 days. Referred to a cardiologist, although the hospital tests ruled out many problems. Took us a month to get him an appointment and now waiting to get a Holter monitor for 14 day event test and a stress test.

We had planned to pack a POD and drive with our dogs across to Florida. Now we don't know if we will be able to do that. If we fly, we still have items that will have to be driven by car;e.g., guns, antiques, jewelry. We have to wait for results of his tests mid-April. We had hoped to be on the road by end of March. He still has much work to do in the garage and conex. I am all packed.

Thank you for keeping this post going.

Best,
Reddog53

Old 03-25-2023, 11:27 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,832,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm both familiar with Florida and Tehachapi. They couldn't be more polar opposites. If you enjoy the mountain views, dry air, 4 mild seasons that are very different, you or especially your husband will hate Florida.

Tehachapi is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places in So Cal. Count your blessings.
Apparently they have, but those blessing are too expensive now.

Old 03-25-2023, 12:05 PM

846 posts, read 685,396 times
Living in FL may be somewhat cheaper because of lower taxes and living in CA sets the baseline so high that almost anywhere you move is probably going to be more affordable. That being said, FL's cost of living is very high too, so you might not save as much money as you expect.

I think proximity to family is the most important priority on which place to live; especially in your age group, you don't know how much time you'll have with them. Though I understand it's a tough dillemma that your family is split into 2 places; I'm in the same dilemma myself.

Quote:
my husband is balking due to risk of hurricanes, humidity, and close neighbors.
To me, the humidity is only a minor annoyance. The real issue is the illogical design of the roads, the heavy traffic and many drivers going way over the speed limit.

It's not just the close neighbors you have to worry about, but the HOA's too. Much of the land in FL is ran by HOA's, and they feel emboldened to do whatever they want because there's a housing shortage. It's hard to find true freedom and privacy over here.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:11 PM

140 posts, read 142,940 times
Default Retiring in Florida

Hi,

At my son's CA house last week, he and my dtr-in-law told us that they will be moving to either Huntsville, AL, or Nashville, TN., in about 3 years. My granddaughter is 9 and they want to be out of California and settled in either place before my granddaughter starts junior high school. So that would put my 3 kids out of CA and more in Eastern US. Now I don't feel like I am leaving him.

In comparison to car registration, gasoline, food, electricity, property insurance, etc., we feel that we may be saving some on costs. Many here in Tehachapi have had their homes reassessed as being in a fire area and their property insurance canceled. The city council is meeting this week to discuss a potential 200% increase in water costs. Our electric bill has gone up by 68% this year and 5 maintenance power outages since last summer. These are for maintenance and the last one was 28 hours. SCE reminds us that they will sell us a generator for power outages. So they raised our rates based on their maintenance costs and sell generators on the back end.

We hope that the Florida is the best decision for us. I can't wait to go shelling with my daughter. We are expecting more rain, cold temps, and snow this week.

Best,
Reddog53

Old 03-25-2023, 06:33 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,941,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
Good evening,

I retired in April 2020 at FRA of 66. My husband will be able to retire at FRA in 2 years. We have talked about moving to Florida from our current home in Tehachapi, CA. We love Tehachapi for the peaceful atmosphere and four seasons, but are tired of the taxes and crazy rules in CA. My daughters and families live in Fl, one in Indialantic and one in West Melborne, and my son and family in CA.

We have talked about moving for FL for two years and now my husband is balking due to risk of hurricanes, humidity, and close neighbors. We live on 1.4 acres and do not have neighbors. I would like to be close to my kids and grandkids and start pulling out of my 401k in a state with no state taxes.

This has become quite a bone of contention. Your thoughts on resolving a conflict in retirement plans and on retiring in FL are very much appreciated.

Best,

Reddog53

All things considered, stay in Tehachapi. Florida is miserable--humidity, gigantic cockroaches, hurricanes every year. At least earthquakes come only once every 30 years or so in Cali.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:03 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,007,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
All things considered, stay in Tehachapi. Florida is miserable--humidity, gigantic cockroaches, hurricanes every year. At least earthquakes come only once every 30 years or so in Cali.
Sure, Florida has humidity, cockroaches, and hurricanes. And yet millions of us live here anyway. My reason is that being close to my granddaughter far outweighs the disadvantages of living here. OP, if being near your daughters is strong enough motivation for you, go for it.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:36 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,832,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
That's kind of of presumptuous... when the choice is family or geography. I'd pick family always in all ways.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:21 PM

4,858 posts, read 457,111 times
Kids moving to either Hunstville or Nashville? Culture wars, maybe? You mention shelling with your daughter. But you realize that both Nashville and Hunstville are hundreds of miles from the ocean, yes?

Huntsville to Mobile = 291 miles.
Mobile to Nashville = 447 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement