Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 PM

10,214 posts, read 7,722,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I switched to hand turned can openers that fit in the drawer when not in use. 1. counter space and 2. power outage during hurricanes etc made it just practical to use them all the time.

but i do understand the hand hurting thing
Ditto.

I have a heavy duty KitchenAid hand opener. It's easier on the hands and works so much better than the garden variety I had before. It has a big, easy to turn handle encased in plastic.

I don't like a bunch of stuff on the counter, plus I don't buy many things in cans, and some of those have pull tabs. My hand can opener is actually easier for me than the pull tabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 07:53 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,276,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

I don't like a bunch of stuff on the counter, plus I don't buy many things in cans, and some of those have pull tabs. My hand can opener is actually easier for me than the pull tabs.
I agree. I hate pull tabs, I'm worried about gashing myself, or spratyng sardine oil all over the kitchen. I pry the ring up with the handle of my wooden spoon.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 844,158 times
Have you tried an OXO hand held? Love mine. (so easy with arthritic hands & fingers)

Old 10-23-2019, 09:38 PM

555 posts, read 602,942 times
I use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Good-Cook-Min...42842073&psc=1

Old 10-24-2019, 06:00 AM

37,942 posts, read 46,648,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
No, it isn't if you can't drive a can opener.
THAT^^ is a far cry from this first statement you made:

Quote:
Reconsider your diet. If you need a can opener more than once a week, you are too heavily reliant on processed foods.
Your first statement was incorrect, and actually rather presumptuous. Hopefully you see that now.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:59 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,494,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Looks like an IUD for a robot.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:46 PM

17,273 posts, read 57,457,574 times
If you want a good deal on an electric can opener, probably any second-hand shop will have a few. You might find one like your old one. Usually things like this are sold very cheap.

Your current opener probably just needs brushes put into the motor to bring it back to life. A shop that rebuilds starters and alternators might take it on. No guarantee that they can fix it, if it needs more parts that would be problematic.

We use a simple hand-held manual can opener, although "we" means DW usually hands the can to me and asks me to open it. Canned milk I have always opened with my Swiss Army knife can opener.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:18 PM

6,800 posts, read 5,577,766 times
Quote:
Cans were a godsend when fresh fruit and vegs were not available the year round. But now they are, cheap and abundant. It is very easy to eat well-balanced nutritious meals without ever opening a can, if can openers present an insoluble challenge.
Hmmm I also keep canned goods on hand for when there's a disaster and there's little to no "fresh cheap food available".

I've been through a hurricane, where NO FOOD was available for a week and a half, cause of power outage s every where, and stores can't use their modern handy dandy electric gulping computer cash registers.

Cause after all, every one has forgotten how to do manual math.

The first food available that was hot....was....a Burger King Whopper...only Whoppers and only at the drive thru when they got power back on in the business district. I don't often eat that crap, buta hot whopper was better than the cold can of meat andcold can of beans I was going to have.

There was only ONE radio station that had a generator, and the DJ was blocked in by huge trees on the road to the station. He recorded 3 or 4 hours of music and announcements and the replay while sleeping. He was stuck for 4 days, no food not much for water, but he kept up his job and kept us as informed as he could.

Then he announced a Burger King a few miles away finally got power and the road was clear, just no traffic lights. He said ' it's hot and ready... whopper s only . I said I think I want one!!!
My roommate agreed, he said 'you fly, I'll buy'...so I drove us there fir 2 whopper s each!

Canned food was a nice saver for a week and a half. We were lucky no damage to our abode.

I've also lost power for 6-10 days in major flooding.

Canned food DOES have it's bonuses.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:40 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,276,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
THAT^^ is a far cry from this first statement you made:

Your first statement was incorrect, and actually rather presumptuous. Hopefully you see that now.
You're knocking me for not being rigidly knee-jerk.
Those two comments were responses to two different statements. Go through the thread and look harder, you will find I have made even more comments on still different issues. None are contradictory in context, they just offer different advice to people describing different circumstances.

"I suggest A"
"Well, I can't"
"Then try B"
--- Oh, no, A and B aren't the same, he's contradicting himself!

Old 10-24-2019, 07:45 PM

5,311 posts, read 3,692,196 times
I too am a happy user of the opener cited in post #2. You can take it off the counter when you are finished opening cans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement