Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 01:38 PM

4,242 posts, read 957,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
We have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It removes the lid without leaving a sharp edge.
This is ours as well. Works like a charm every time and only thirty bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 01:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,639,934 times
I think this is the best or one of the best. The can opener at post #51 looks great too.

OXO Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener - Price: $21.09 Amazon.com

Easily opens cans without creating sharp edges on can or lid
Oversized side-wind mechanism moves smoothly
Soft grip knob and non slip handles
Sharp stainless steel cutting wheel doesn't touch can contents
Built in pliers allow for contact free lid removal
Attached Thumbnails
Okay senior's, let's talk can openers....-610wo88n6sl._sl1500_.jpg  

Last edited by matisse12; 10-21-2019 at 01:56 PM..

Old 10-21-2019, 02:33 PM

43,977 posts, read 18,970,391 times
I just have a plain old can opener. Does the job.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:53 PM

25,608 posts, read 56,742,695 times
I never have to wash my Kuhn-Rikon (very similar to the Oxo shown above).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...pener&_sacat=0

Like I said upthread, no shavings, no sharp edges, never touches the food. Only part that needs washing is the handle if my hands aren't clean when I use it.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:41 PM

6,796 posts, read 5,556,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I prefer the ring pull tops as well; however, I've had several that the ring snapped off and ended up using the hand held opener.
Worse yet is the pull tab breaks off, and the lid is recessed so much that the hand held or electric openers won't work!!!

Argh!

I've thrown out a few of those cans , with content still inside, cause I can't get it out!!

Grrr.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I've never owned an electric opener, not sure I'd even want to with that little cutting wheel not able to be thoroughly washed. I guess you could clean it with alcohol after every can or something, but it seems like old nasty food would get stuck between the wheel and whatever sort of bearing or gears it has. I like being able to throw it in soapy water or the dishwasher. I get that it's hard for someone with arthritis to use a manual opener. My sister in law has RA and she has a can opener that stands 5'9" and answers to "John"
My electric model's cutting wheel (and the handle) comes off for cleaning.

Not everyone has a can opener that answers to "John".

Old 10-22-2019, 04:59 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,260,020 times
Reconsider your diet. If you need a can opener more than once a week, you are too heavily reliant on processed foods. For years, I've opened no more than 2-3 cans a year. Acouple exceptions, tomato paste for pasta sauce, and I like to snack on tortille chips with refried beans. But they would be the first to go if can-opening were an issue.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Reconsider your diet. If you need a can opener more than once a week, you are too heavily reliant on processed foods. For years, I've opened no more than 2-3 cans a year. Acouple exceptions, tomato paste for pasta sauce, and I like to snack on tortille chips with refried beans. But they would be the first to go if can-opening were an issue.
Thats Very Judgemental.

I DON'T need a can opener more than once a week....but I like it (the electric or hand crank ) there for the times I DO need to open a can!!!

I take a nutrition shake every other day at the least, and have totally changed my eating habits, But, the shakes DO come in cans and the pull tabs DO Break off. If I don't feel like trying to buzz one up, and not totally sure just what I get if I make it myself.

I also sometimes DONT feel like waiting and soaking beans, so I keep a few ready cans on hand, as I do diced tomatoes, and mushrooms and olives.
I also keep canned tuna and chicken for the tougher times.
If long grain rice came in a can, I'd keep some on hand instead of waiting for 45 minutes fir it to cook.

I have lost almost 100 pounds due to shift in my diet and...most importantly... cutting down how much of anything I eat.

Oh, and I could never be a total vegan, I like my redmeat Sundays, and I make a "quality" meatloaf every other week for my OH ( has a lot more than just meat eggs and bread in it...about 9 ingredients, including chopped onions, peppers and garlic, among other things).
Chicken is main meat of choice...roasted with herbs or rotisseried.

Once or twice a MONTH I allow myself to have a"guilty pleasure"...such as Spam, lol. Or a batch of sugared cookies or something, something I used to eat.

And now that the holidays are coming up, I will NOT punish myself for enjoying a good solid holiday meal, with all the trimmings.
I love butternut squash, cranberry/orange sauce, spaghetti squash, etc, usually cooked with out a lot of sugar.

When I turned diabetic, I changed things drastically, was 303 pounds, now down to just over 200 in a year and half.
By this time next year I hope to be down to a respectable 165-175 pounds.

A can opener CAN be a necessity!

Old 10-22-2019, 09:53 AM

15,290 posts, read 17,824,811 times
You might think of using a wall mount hand crank can opener.

https://www.katom.com/268-609WH.html...AaAsUnEALw_wcB

There are similar models that store in a drawer, but I think you have to squeeze most of them.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:26 AM

15,621 posts, read 10,643,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You might think of using a wall mount hand crank can opener.

https://www.katom.com/268-609WH.html...AaAsUnEALw_wcB

There are similar models that store in a drawer, but I think you have to squeeze most of them.
That looks like mine, it's fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement