Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 11:50 AM

705 posts, read 564,100 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm going to just buy a countertop electric can opener because I need electric. I wish I was able to use a regular can opener but I can't, it is what it is. Thank you all for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 02:25 PM

4,242 posts, read 952,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have lost almost 100 pounds due to shift in my diet and...most importantly... cutting down how much of anything I eat.
Wow -- that's fantastic, galaxy, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That's no easy feat - inspiring!

Old 10-22-2019, 04:28 PM

6,791 posts, read 5,520,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Wow -- that's fantastic, galaxy, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That's no easy feat - inspiring!
Aw shucks.
Thanks.

It IS hard work, especially with a bad back, bad hips and bad knees, and exercise at a gym is pretty much out.

Diet mostly.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:35 PM

37,744 posts, read 46,213,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Reconsider your diet. If you need a can opener more than once a week, you are too heavily reliant on processed foods. For years, I've opened no more than 2-3 cans a year. Acouple exceptions, tomato paste for pasta sauce, and I like to snack on tortille chips with refried beans. But they would be the first to go if can-opening were an issue.
That's absurd.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:11 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,232,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That's absurd.
Cans were a godsend when fresh fruit and vegs were not available the year round. But now they are, cheap and abundant. It is very easy to eat well-balanced nutritious meals without ever opening a can, if can openers present an insoluble challenge.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:17 PM

37,744 posts, read 46,213,517 times
Quote:
Cans were a godsend when fresh fruit and vegs were not available the year round. But now they are, cheap and abundant. It is very easy to eat well-balanced nutritious meals without ever opening a can, if can openers present an insoluble challenge.
It is also very easy to eat well-balanced nutritious meals using canned foods.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:42 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,325,201 times
I bought a Cuisinart electric can opener quite a few years ago and a couple of years ago decided to replace it just because it was oldish. I wish I hadn’t. I bought a Hamilton Beach can opener and it seems so cheap and chintzy compared to the Cuisinart. It’s plastic and lightweight and I’m always worried the weight of the can will pull it over. The Cuisinart was heavy and made of metal. But apparently the Cuisinarts they make now aren’t comparable to the one I used to have.

I also wish I’d kept my old Maytag washer and dryer and my old dishwasher. You would think things would get better as time goes on and technology advances, but that’s not the case. They just try to make things cheaper and products are not what they used to be.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:13 PM

705 posts, read 564,100 times
Quote:
Reconsider your diet. If you need a can opener more than once a week, you are too heavily reliant on processed foods.

Seriously? I use a can opener so you assume I eat unhealthy?

I'm sorry but we eat very healthy and we do used some canned foods.

I don't owe you any explanations but I'll tell you a few things we use weekly.

Wild Planet Boneless skinless salmon
Lentils
Artichokes
Spinach
Black Beans
Tomatoes
Tuna- American Brand
Black Olives

Old 10-22-2019, 08:57 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,232,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It is also very easy to eat well-balanced nutritious meals using canned foods.
No, it isn't if you can't drive a can opener. Both are very easy, but one requires a can opener, whose challenge is the topic of this thread, and can be avoided by the other easy choice..

It's up to the reader to face the hardship of using a can opener, or the hardship of using non-canned foods.

I remember flat hook can openers, that had no moving parts. They were no harder to use than a paring knife, but took longer to work all around the can lid. Versions of it are common blades in Swiss-type knives.

Last edited by cebuan; 10-22-2019 at 09:11 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 09:35 PM

35,190 posts, read 31,503,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Seriously? I use a can opener so you assume I eat unhealthy?

I'm sorry but we eat very healthy and we do used some canned foods.

I don't owe you any explanations but I'll tell you a few things we use weekly.

Wild Planet Boneless skinless salmon
Lentils
Artichokes
Spinach
Black Beans
Tomatoes
Tuna- American Brand
Black Olives
The point is that a lot of canned foods are high in sodium. I grew up on canned veggies. Personally, I think commercially canned veggies don't taste very fresh. I eat frozen if I can't get fresh. If I'm down to a can of corn, I'll find something else to eat.

There are a few exceptions. There is some sort of Southern style tomatoes, okra, and corn that's canned that I absolutely love. I won't eat baked beans right out of a can, but I will eat canned beans if prepared well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement