Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 02:16 PM

37,722 posts, read 46,165,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I've used an electric under cabinet mounted can opener for a long time, it finally died. I went to replace it a while back and I just want to know why they are so expensive now? It's beyond ridiculous! I have trouble with my hands so I don't want a regular one. I have tried just about everything else and hate them all. IMO the new ones they offer are junk. I think today I'll get one that sits on the counter, I've been fighting that because I don't have a lot of counter space. I was talking to a group of people at our clubhouse Friday evening and they all agreed they the like space saver. One person said they thought they were going to stop making them and that's why the increase but it makes no sense....at least not to me.
Oh my. I haven't had one of those since I was 30!!

I use a hand-held - they work great, very little effort required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 02:27 PM

4,622 posts, read 3,327,930 times
You have to watch out for those models that say they don't give you a sharp lid edge to worry about. It's true, they don't, but most of them cut along the side of the can instead of the lid, and so your sharp edge is on the can, not the lid. Just as sharp. There's gotta be a sharp edge somewhere if they're cutting the can, right? Now maybe there are some models that somehow fold the edge of the can down so you don't get a sharp edge there, either, I don't know. But I know I bought one like that once and thought the sharp edge of the can was actually more dangerous than the sharp edge of the lid.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:38 PM

705 posts, read 563,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
We have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It removes the lid without leaving a sharp edge.

I tried that one but it was leaving fine hair like metal shavings on my counter and I saw them on top of some beans so we returned it

Old 10-20-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

I use a hand-held - they work great, very little effort required.

Maybe for someone with healthy hands, mine are always swollen and painful.

I must have electric.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

Or, if you need a "space saver" variety (cabinet undermount, freeing up the counter space)

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-...C4X/ref=sr_1_4

I couldn't sleep at night if I paid 195.00 for a can opener!

I have NO idea why they are asking these prices when not long ago you could buy one for about 40.00.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:00 PM

178 posts, read 124,714 times
Funny this topic appears today.

I watch German tv to practice the language. Just yesterday I watched a show where 4 celebrity chefs were given a variety of can openers to try out. They were unanimous on their favorite - a German brand name I didn’t recognize but it looked like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Okay senior's, let's talk can openers....-79378d24-1a6e-468e-b920-599d745a4088.jpeg  

Old 10-20-2019, 04:18 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,570,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
I've been using a similar one (does the same thing - removes the lid without leaving a sharp edge) for at least the past 25 years; one side effect I like is that the removed lid can be used as a cover for the can (in case, for instance, you don't use up the entire contents - just put the "cover" back on and stash it in the fridge until the next meal, or next day).
Exactly. It's great when one wants only a half can of something - built-in lid. No sharp edges, no metal shavings. Back in the day, bought everything from QVC which is how I first learned of the Kuhn-Rikon. I've given these to away, and always have one or two spares around. Almost the next best thing to sliced bread.

My current model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KUHN-RIKON-...kAAOSwnHZYdxga

Other variations:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...pener&_sacat=0

Old 10-20-2019, 04:26 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,382,976 times
This what I own
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Co...AAAOSwjINdjLYL

Old 10-20-2019, 04:28 PM

16,148 posts, read 10,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I switched to hand turned can openers that fit in the drawer when not in use. 1. counter space and 2. power outage during hurricanes etc made it just practical to use them all the time.

but i do understand the hand hurting thing
I gave up on powered can openers years ago. The hand crank opener works fine for me and it goes all over the kitchen where I might need it and stows away in a drawer.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:55 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,570,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I gave up on powered can openers years ago. The hand crank opener works fine for me and it goes all over the kitchen where I might need it and stows away in a drawer.
Yup - I don't want anything battery or electric powered. Costs of ownership, just one more thing to go wrong. Mine store in the drawer - and since I have no hand pain, no problem using. I try to keep things as simple as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement