Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 12:33 PM

9,083 posts, read 20,507,951 times

Advertisements

When it comes to kidney's, here is my story: Last year in March, what was originally suppose to be two root canals done, turned into both molars being extracted...........at the same time! Dentist didn't give me any antibiotics at all. Couldn't eat anything but soft foods, like apple sauce. After a week, I pretty much lost my appetite for food, which meant that my kidneys stopped functioning. I was just sitting around most of the day.

My wife took me back to the dentist for a checkup and he told me, "the two extracted areas are doing fine, but if you continue to feel this way, you'd better go to the ER. My VA doctor told me the same thing. The following Saturday, my wife took me to the ER and I was told, thru a blood lab, that my kidney's had pretty much quite functioning. My eGFR (kidney function number) was very low. I was admitted into the hospital and given an IV. A couple of tests wore done, but they were ok. The IV's I was given, brought my eGFR back up to a "functioning" number and I was released the following Monday. Unfortunately, my appetite didn't come back much. A week later, my VA doctor order blood labs done for me. The afternoon (Thursday) after my labs were done, my VA doctor called me and told me I needed to get to the ER or Urgent Care right away. Why? My sodium level/number was way down. Wife took me to the ER again and I was given a small Sodium IV. After that IV, I was told by the ER doctor that I could either stay overnight and get another Sodium IV or leave. He said, "if you do decide to leave, I'll guarantee that you'll be back for another Sodium IV. So, I stayed.

I was put into Short-Term Care room that was very small and had a lot of light coming in from the Nurses Station area. The next morning, a doctor told me that he was going to keep me another day (Friday) to be monitored. A lab was done in the AM and it showed my sodium level went up to where it should be. I was transferred to a bigger room. My wife had to work, so I spent the day watching tv/movies. Because I was able to move around on my own, it was entered into the computer that my hospital bed could be unlocked/not monitored. I could use the restroom by myself. When I had breakfast, I noticed that my appetite completely came back! I was released from the hospital the next AM/Saturday.

Both my kidney function and sodium level are fine now and, thank God, my appetite is still going strong.

For awhile, wife and I really thought I'd have to go on dialysis, but my VA doctor said "no way" after seeing a lab done after my sodium problem.

Old 06-06-2024, 03:02 PM

9,083 posts, read 20,507,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I’m interested in what your experience and impressions will be of both Reno and Carson City. Have a safe and fun trip! If you like down home good cooking try the Gold and Silver restaurant that’s near downtown. It’s never been remodeled so funky inside but the food is excellent and the portions huge. For instance when I get the turkey dinner it’s 3 meals for me so you have leftovers or can split a dinner. It’s definitely not healthy food but so very good).
Well, hopefully (of course) the area will be much, much more suitable for us than down here is. It seemed like we were looking for a total rodeo-cowboy/ranch cowboy type area, but we weren't. We aren't always in western attire, but when we do wear it, we are both happy and proud to wear the attire. During winter time, we are always in Wrangler jeans and long-sleeves, whereas during summer we are in both shorts, walking shoes and short-sleeves as well as western attire/long-sleeves.

I know how stunning, and may even sound sort of stupid, that a former rodeo cowboy and his wife would live in an apartment, but, there are both pluses and minuses to buying a house or renting an apartment. We done both and have seen both pluses and minuses.

Old 06-06-2024, 05:04 PM

272 posts, read 221,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It has great reviews! I've been using it for a year. Also, an oil that has great reviews. Also, a 40% urea cream. Also, Amlactin lotion. Plus I lotion my hands an additional 3 times a day minimum.

I still shattered a stub of a nail today... doing essentially nothing.

It's redonkulous.
I also use a 40% urea cream for my cracked feet and hands, works well as long as I use it regularly. I walk around barefoot most of the year and swim daily (chlorinated pool unfortunately) so that can cause dry / cracked feet. For strong nails and great skin and hair I take the following supplements:

hydrolyzed (or fast dissolve) collagen peptides or bone broth powder;
hyaluronic acid with vitamin c;
B complex (methylated form);
mineral complex

My nails had always been brittle and would break or split really easily / also doing nothing, got worse after I moved out here but after a couple months of the above regimen my nails are now strong and I can't remember the last time one split or broke.

My external skin and hair care routine is too extensive and variable to list out but a skin oil at night is a must for me.

Old 06-06-2024, 05:35 PM

48,721 posts, read 35,287,589 times
My nails had always been super thick and fast growing, so this is all new for me.

I WAS taking a collagen supplement, I stopped because it's hard to gauge if something like that is doing anything, and the science and studies were non-conclusive.

My nails weren't this bad then, I'll start taking it again and see what happens. I try not to do too much at one time because then I don't know which thing is working.

For my body what works the absolute best is vegetable glycerin with lotion over the top. It is messy. So I'll do the bottom half one day and wear long pajamas, and do the upper part a different day.

Squalane oil is currently my favorite face oil.

But I digress.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-06-2024, 05:50 PM

8,442 posts, read 7,746,721 times
What the heck is squalane oil? That's a new one for me!

Old 06-06-2024, 05:55 PM

48,721 posts, read 35,287,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
What the heck is squalane oil? That's a new one for me!
It is extracted from squalls.

/runs to go look up what squalane actually is

Squalane oil is a naturally-occurring, saturated form of squalene, a lipid found in skin, plants, and animals. It's a key component of sebum, the skin's natural oils, and is often used in skincare products as a moisturizing agent.

Not pricey. I got some from Amazon, I'm sure it was under $20. The Ordinary also carries it (my favorite skin care brand).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-06-2024, 06:50 PM

272 posts, read 221,096 times
Squalane is my favorite oil too! A little goes a long way. No scent / fragrance and won't clog pores.

Old 06-06-2024, 08:37 PM

7,467 posts, read 4,809,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Well, hopefully (of course) the area will be much, much more suitable for us than down here is. It seemed like we were looking for a total rodeo-cowboy/ranch cowboy type area, but we weren't. We aren't always in western attire, but when we do wear it, we are both happy and proud to wear the attire. During winter time, we are always in Wrangler jeans and long-sleeves, whereas during summer we are in both shorts, walking shoes and short-sleeves as well as western attire/long-sleeves.

I know how stunning, and may even sound sort of stupid, that a former rodeo cowboy and his wife would live in an apartment, but, there are both pluses and minuses to buying a house or renting an apartment. We done both and have seen both pluses and minuses.
I totally understand why you want to live in an apartment. I bought a condo 3 years ago when I sold my house because I wanted to be able to hit the easy button). No more yard work for me. I sit on the balcony and watch the landscapers. I don’t have much to go wrong because the water, heat and air conditioning are on a central system for the buildings. It sounds like you had a bad health scare. I had one too at the age of 50. You never know what life holds.

Old 06-07-2024, 02:55 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,900,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Seriously, someone has to give me help on my nails. I think this is a better, and more researched problem, than where LovesBoats needs to move. Or whatever his name is now.

Priorities people!!!
Burts Bees Coconut Foot Creme. I massage it into my cuticles and nails (and elbows) and it has really helped. It's very thick and oily but it sinks in quickly.

Old 06-08-2024, 06:30 PM

798 posts, read 868,976 times
Jojoba Oil. Use it for everything can put in bathwater or dab on lips, face...wherever..... Cold-pressed, organic. Even reverses keratosis!

I also take multi-B everyday and some other natural supplements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area