Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:53 PM

30,429 posts, read 52,064,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Ok, since I am obviously the 1% that is not willing to tell Giz, or JerZ, or even Art R that they are going to burn in hell, I thought that I should defend myself a little. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who can put a limit on the Grace of God?
Thanks for saying that, lol... and I'd like to believe that God loves ALL His children, even ones who don't believe in the Bible, or who follow different faiths. After all, don't you believe He created them too? But I guess that's just my Jewish upbringing speaking, since we teach of an all-loving God, rather than a vengeful or punishing one.

Also wanted to add, the other thing that bothers me is how many (all?) Christians think ONLY their beliefs are correct... so what about Muslims, Buddhists, Taoists, etc., who have a different path to salvation? Even though I believe in Judaism, I'd never suggest everyone else was wrong - at least not without asking God first. And since we can't do that until we die, I don't pass judgments while here on earth.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-02-2007 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 06:19 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,554,560 times
Gizmo, Its me again, blue I really enjoy most of your posts and just never responded to them, because I am not into arguing. I would just like to say that not all christians (believer as I prefer to be called) are alike, we differ a LOT on some things, some are major differences and some are small differences. I do not believe that Jews are going to hell, or baptists, methodists, muslim, it is not my decision, therefore I won't judge anyone. Really I usually just try to get along with everyone and accept and respect them just for believing in God Also I think my percentage post was misunderstood, I didn't mean to make it sound like 99% of us were telling you to go to hell, I meant that it seemed that 99% of us agreed about not lying about the existance of hell to a six year old if we believe there is a hell.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-02-2007 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: add content

Old 06-02-2007, 07:00 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,085,387 times
Gizmo, don't worry. As a non-believer that Jesus was the messiah, I'm goin' down with you, and I'm older, so I'll save you a seat. I hope they don't put us near the Bushes.

Anyway, Ghandi will be there too, so it won't be all bad. I'll bet he has some excellent stories during our long stay burning and thirsting and all that.

To blue: I wish everyone thought the way you do.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,298,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

No one knows for sure except God who will spend eternity in Heaven. A person may proclaim to be a Christian but may not have really ever been saved. God is the final Judge and Jury.

We are not saying anything except what is stated in the Bible. We believe it, threads come up that ask certain questions, and we state what we believe. I don't think Christians should have a bad rap because of this. Obviously, not everyone believes the Bible, but that is his or her choice.
Just to clarify, I agree wholeheartedly with what KewGee says right here. I can only state, as KewGee said, what is in the Bible. As for specific individuals, I am NOT willing to judge the state of their souls. That's not something I can say. All I'm saying here is that Jesus did teach the concept of hell and as a Christian, if Jesus taught it, I am compelled to believe it. I THOUGHT we were just discussing the general concept of hell here on this thread, not any individual's salvation or lack thereof???

Old 06-02-2007, 08:08 PM

646 posts, read 1,612,091 times
That ok. Go ahead and tell me/gizmo/whoever that we are going to hell.

The thought bothers me about as much as it would if I told you that the Flying Spaghetti Monster was going to strip all the the flesh off of your bones with hot alfredo sauce.

You think the one is silly and groundless, I think the other is silly and groundless.

The only time the hell thing really bothers me is when christians self-righteously and smugly smile when they say that I am going to go to hell because I deserve it. In my opinion, this wishing ill on a person is the height of bad manners and taste.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:12 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,298,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post

The thought bothers me about as much as it would if I told you that the Flying Spaghetti Monster was going to strip all the the flesh off of your bones with hot alfredo sauce.

You think the one is silly and groundless, I think the other is silly and groundless.

The only time the hell thing really bothers me is when christians self-righteously and smugly smile when they say that I am going to go to hell because I deserve it. In my opinion, this wishing ill on a person is the height of bad manners and taste.
Well, Stretch, you and I do agree on SOMETHING! That WOULD be the height of bad manners and taste!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel... it doesn't BOTHER me, because I don't believe there is such a thing as hell. But to say "you're going to hell" is just plain rude - no matter how you rationalize it.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Gizmo, don't worry. As a non-believer that Jesus was the messiah, I'm goin' down with you, and I'm older, so I'll save you a seat. I hope they don't put us near the Bushes.

Anyway, Ghandi will be there too, so it won't be all bad. I'll bet he has some excellent stories during our long stay burning and thirsting and all that.
LOL... if Ghandi and Golda Meir are there, I'll be happy to join y'all. But I agree, sitting next to the Bushes really would be hell!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:11 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,828,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I came back to this thread because we were having a little fun discussing children and the innocent cute questions they ask about hell and what their parents response is
Um, obviously I've been gone all day and came back here to see what happened to my cute post about my son....wow!

I'm with Blue...what happened?!?

As for all the chaos, I agree with Weather (waving to Weather now!) no one knows what God will do until he does it. He may surprise us all. Instead of arguing about it, let's just all have fun here and hopefully when we meet up in heaven later also.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:12 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,828,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... if Ghandi and Golda Meir are there, I'll be happy to join y'all. But I agree, sitting next to the Bushes really would be hell!
Yeah but Bush's hell will be to sit with the Clintons which could be real fun to watch, even for eternity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality