Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:36 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,331,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Good to know... guess I'll be having a party in hell, because there will be some better people there than in heaven.

And some of you wonder why Christians have a bad rap?? I think the reasons are clear, when we hear stuff like this on a regular basis.
Well, I don't like it either, Gizmo. But Jesus did say that the path is wide that leads to destruction and narrow that leads to life and few there would be that would find it. His words, not ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 04:50 PM

30,485 posts, read 52,190,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, I don't like it either, Gizmo. But Jesus did say that the path is wide that leads to destruction and narrow that leads to life and few there would be that would find it. His words, not ours.
And if Jesus said "you'll go to hell if you don't learn to fly", would you think that was fair too? I'm sorry, but just because "Jesus said it", that doesn't mean the rest of us find that logical, fair, or even true... so when you push those beliefs on us, it comes across as both condescending and cruel. Don't you get that?

Old 06-02-2007, 05:08 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,331,444 times
Quote:
And if Jesus said "you'll go to hell if you don't learn to fly", would you think that was fair too? I'm sorry, but just because "Jesus said it", that doesn't mean the rest of us find that logical, fair, or even true... so when you push those beliefs on us, it comes across as both condescending and cruel. Don't you get that?
Yeah, I do understand what you're saying, Gizmo. I do. But I guess my point is simply though, that as Christians, if we call Jesus "Lord," (and I realize that you DON'T) we can't bend our theology to be something other than what" He said" just because it would seem more "fair" or palatable or popular. Frankly, as I said, I don't like the concept of hell at all. I would prefer not to believe it existed. But the problem with that for me is I DO believe in Jesus and He apparently believed in it-so I must too. At least that's the way I see it.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:21 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,608,995 times
Quote:
Maybe to you... but not everybody agrees, obviously.
I am not good at math, so I am just guessing that at least 99 percent of the respondents to this thread agreeThat means they are in the majority. Thats just an uneducated guess and opinion. Old blue gets a little confused at times(they tell me that that is called having a senior moment) But something about blowin in the wind

Old 06-02-2007, 05:23 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,247,943 times
Quote:
Good to know... guess I'll be having a party in hell, because there will be some better people there than in heaven.

And some of you wonder why Christians have a bad rap?? I think the reasons are clear, when we hear stuff like this on a regular basis.

No one knows for sure except God who will spend eternity in Heaven. A person may proclaim to be a Christian but may not have really ever been saved. God is the final Judge and Jury.

We are not saying anything except what is stated in the Bible. We believe it, threads come up that ask certain questions, and we state what we believe. I don't think Christians should have a bad rap because of this. Obviously, not everyone believes the Bible, but that is his or her choice.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:26 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,247,943 times
Quote:
Maybe to you... but not everybody agrees, obviously.

Again, not everyone has to agree. No one is forcing anyone to feel one way or another. We're just discussing beliefs here. I don't condemn those that don't believe as I do as it is out of my control anyway just like my beliefs are not under anyone's control either.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:27 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,803,587 times
Default the minority

Ok, since I am obviously the 1% that is not willing to tell Giz, or JerZ, or even Art R that they are going to burn in hell, I thought that I should defend myself a little. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who can put a limit on the Grace of God?

Old 06-02-2007, 05:38 PM

124 posts, read 397,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Ok, since I am obviously the 1% that is not willing to tell Giz, or JerZ, or even Art R that they are going to burn in hell, I thought that I should defend myself a little. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who can put a limit on the Grace of God?
That's OK, you can tell me.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I am not good at math, so I am just guessing that at least 99 percent of the respondents to this thread agreeThat means they are in the majority. Thats just an uneducated guess and opinion. Old blue gets a little confused at times(they tell me that that is called having a senior moment) But something about blowin in the wind
And because you're the majority, does that make it any less judgmental or mean? Oh, and last time I checked, this is a RELIGION board, not a CHRISTIAN one... something I have to keep reminding people of here. But look, I'm not saying you all shouldn't believe in this stuff, I'm just trying to explain the non-Christian point of view. And it still amazes me how you can't see the cruelty in telling people they're going to hell - I'd like to think that about certain people, but would NEVER say it to their face (unless they were truly evil). And whether or not you'd like to admit it, evil people come from all religions, even Christianity. And I just think it's incredibly self-righteous to say "Only we're allowed to sin, as long as we've accepted Jesus." What about the Jews who atone on Yom Kippur? Are you trying to say God was wrong about that, and we aren't really forgiven?

Old 06-02-2007, 05:51 PM

P.S. I don't mean to be disrespectful, I'm just trying to figure out your reasoning on this topic... it's something that's always bugged me, and you're my first captive Christian audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality