Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:49 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post

I would like to say that we cannot even IMAGINE the Grace of God. I hope that I would never be presumptious enough to tell someone that they will be going to hell. Until the day that we meet our Heavenly Father face to face, I don't think that we can know that answer.
Well, THAT'S good. And a surprise. Since I myself and others have asked this question probably twenty or thirty times on this forum in one way or another and have received the response, "If you do not accept 'Christ' as your personal savior, then you have rejected him and will be cast into the lake of fire."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

But, well, in that case, this IS good news. It means I've been lied to and threatened quite a few times even though nobody really knows for sure. Right? So...it was only threat...not fact. This is a bit of a relilef to me. Maybe I won't burn forever with "not a drop of water for my tongue" after all. I LIKE this new 180-degree turnaround on the forum...this is in my opinion the *real" "good news".

(Giz: There are threads directly about hell that you might want to track back and find; there are many many opinions there. Probably 80% of them revolve around accepting or not accepting Jesus "in a personal way". This would be way back...I don't know...in the early pages of this forum.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 11:34 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
A couple people are tippie-toe-ing around this issue, and one or two are writing lengthy and ill-fitting allegories about burglaries in the home, but yes, Giz, *Christians do in fact believe that you CAN NOT get into heaven UNLESS you are a Christian*--unless you believe in Jesus, believe in his death and resurrection, and accept him as your "personal" savior.

People, just answer giz's question. It's funny how, for non-Christian gentiles, you come down on us with the whole we're-going-to-hell thing, but in walks a Jewish woman and everybody tiptoes around and mumbles.

Yes, people, you DO believe giz is going to hell. Period. How many times have we heard that ANYone, ANYone PERIOD, who DOES NOT ACCEPT JESUS AS THE SAVIOR will be "cast into the fire"?

Such silliness, why so harsh on non-practicing ex-Christians but so worriedly tiptoeing around a Jewish person? Why is it so easy to say to an ex-Christian's face that she will burn forever, but so hard to say it to someone who was never a Christian? That would actually make an interesting thread all by itself.
LOL... yes, I was finding that kinda funny (in a sad way) too! I've often heard the old "well, Jews are exempt because they're God's Chosen People", which I admittedly don't mind hearing. But I'm getting the real picture, even through everyone's avoidance of my direct question! Thanks...

And for the record, if there really was a hell (which thankfully isn't a Jewish belief), I think it would have nothing to do with which Bible you read, or who you choose to worship... I'd like to believe that it's reserved only for truly evil people, who come in all faiths and non-faiths alike. Sorry, but I just can't accept that a murderer & child rapist who "accepted Jesus" afterward would go to heaven, while a kind-hearted Atheist would burn in hell. If that's how God works, I want no part of this belief system.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:41 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,558 times
arguy1973 was pretty specific. Just because you don't like the answer does not make it any less true.
MBG

Old 06-02-2007, 01:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
I came back to this thread because we were having a little fun discussing children and the innocent cute questions they ask about hell and what their parents response is

Old 06-02-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I came back to this thread because we were having a little fun discussing children and the innocent cute questions they ask about hell and what their parents response is
Sorry, but I personally don't think there's anything innocent or "cute" in telling your child about hell... call me crazy, but I don't think scare tactics are the best way to teach your child about good behavior & morals. But hey, whatever works for you, I'm not going to tell you how to parent!

Old 06-02-2007, 02:21 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
I understand your position Gizmo..I should have said that this child was asking her parent, who is a christian a perfectly innocent question, and the parent wants to answer it in a truthful way but avoid frightening the child. I believe that as far as religion is concerned that you feed a child milk before solid food.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:11 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,226,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
So will the other 4bn people in the world who don't believe in the Christian God go to hell?
I hope it won't be that many who know not Jesus but those who don't will spend eternity in Hell.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:17 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,226,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sorry, but I personally don't think there's anything innocent or "cute" in telling your child about hell... call me crazy, but I don't think scare tactics are the best way to teach your child about good behavior & morals. But hey, whatever works for you, I'm not going to tell you how to parent!

It sounds like this little boy is smart enough to know the truth if he asks the question. Kudos to his mom for "training up a child in the way he should go so when he is old, he will not depart from it." One of a parent's first priorities is teaching children many things with spiritual teaching at the top of the list. God commands it.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

It sounds like this little boy is smart enough to know the truth if he asks the question. Kudos to his mom for "training up a child in the way he should go so when he is old, he will not depart from it." One of a parent's first priorities is teaching children many things with spiritual teaching at the top of the list. God commands it.
Maybe to you... but not everybody agrees, obviously.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I hope it won't be that many who know not Jesus but those who don't will spend eternity in Hell.
Good to know... guess I'll be having a party in hell, because there will be some better people there than in heaven.

And some of you wonder why Christians have a bad rap?? I think the reasons are clear, when we hear stuff like this on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality