Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,818,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

Christians are sinners too though. We're not perfect; we're just forgiven.
You don't have to be perfect but you should try. As for sinning, yes everyone does it, but it should be unintentional I think there's a difference. And you're only forgiven if you ask and then repent or turn away from sin. So no I don't think you can just keep doing the same sin over and over again and still be forgiven for it. If you die in a state of sin even if you believe in Jesus you are damned, God can not look upon sin. Maybe this is a Catholic only teaching? I just figured everybody believed this way, last rights and all. So it's not that easy to explain to a 5 year old, especially since I teach him all good people go to heaven...I'm working on it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
No doubt cute ...(Like I said, Readers Digest material)but being bad does not cause one to go to hell...rejecting God's one and only Son does. We are all too sin filled to go to Heaven. Only by the Blood of Christ do we enter Heaven. Christ covers all sin in those who believe on His Name.
That is all I am saying.
MBG
MBG....I just knew we would find something to agree upon...

I have told me kids when they've asked about hell that hell is a choice....God doesn't send people to hell....they choose to go there....ex: by an intentional rejection to know, love and serve God. In order to reject something, a person has to give "informed consent", so to speak. If people dont' want or need God in this life, they probably don't want or need him in the next, is what I figure.

I told my kids a cute little story...when someone's body dies their soul still lives, so....someone dies and they're standing before the gates of Heaven, w/ St. Peter there (I know this may be more of a catholic illustration) and he asks if they would like to come in. They look at him, see the celestial heavens, see God in all His Glory....then, say "no, I don't really know anyone here"......then, as he looks "downward".....he sees all the proud, self-absorbed souls who "would not serve" and says......."oh...there's all my friends...that's where I belong".

I also have taken my kids to church since they were newborns. They have been to Mass every Sun of their lives (and Holy Days, too) and also Friday Mass in their catholic school....but, does my 11 yo hyper son know how to behave?.....H*ll no...LOL

Old 06-01-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
I also have taken my kids to church since they were newborns. They have been to Mass every Sun of their lives (and Holy Days, too) and also Friday Mass in their catholic school....but, does my 11 yo hyper son know how to behave?.....H*ll no...LOL
I don't know if I should feel better or worse right now...on the one hand an 11 year old being hyper in church makes me feel less bad about my 5 year old...but on the other hand I have visions of his behavior not improving that much in 6 years!...LOL OY VEY!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,646 times
I would have told your child the truth, no this behaviour alone will not cause you to go to hell. I would have told him, believing and trusting in Jesus is the way to heaven.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:51 PM

My kids have actually asked if people who aren't catholic will go to hell? Which I definitively, undeniable, irrefutable and emphatically say "NO....Only God knows what are on other people's hearts and souls."

"There are many paths to the top of the mountain," I tell them, "but catholics are on the express train"...

I am sooooo just kidding.. Really...LOL, LOL.... please take this w/ a sense of humor.....I thought sometimes it gets a little heavy in here and we could all use a few laughs....it's even fun to sometimes laugh at ourselves....

Old 06-01-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
My kids have actually asked if people who aren't catholic will go to hell? Which I definitively, undeniable, irrefutable and emphatically say "NO....Only God knows what are on other people's hearts and souls."

"There are many paths to the top of the mountain," I tell them, "but catholics are on the express train"...

I am sooooo just kidding.. Really...LOL, LOL.... please take this w/ a sense of humor.....I thought sometimes it gets a little heavy in here and we could all use a few laughs....it's even fun to sometimes laugh at ourselves....
I love this!!! I am going to steal it for use...that is exactly the best way to put the are non Christians going to hell answer...thanks so much! I also like the express train...too funny!

Old 06-02-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I don't know if I should feel better or worse right now...on the one hand an 11 year old being hyper in church makes me feel less bad about my 5 year old...but on the other hand I have visions of his behavior not improving that much in 6 years!...LOL OY VEY!
Yeah....hate to ask you this.......does playing w/the kneeler, making paper airplanes out of the children's bulletin, doing a 360 circle while counting all the stained glass windows, and making finger "army guys" where the right hand attacks the left sounds familiar? If so.....welcome to my world

Old 06-02-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah....hate to ask you this.......does playing w/the kneeler, making paper airplanes out of the children's bulletin, doing a 360 circle while counting all the stained glass windows, and making finger "army guys" where the right hand attacks the left sounds familiar? If so.....welcome to my world
Except for the paper airplanes...he just rips up the bulletins...I'm doomed...

Old 06-02-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Except for the paper airplanes...he just rips up the bulletins...I'm doomed...
Maybe I could start a parish commitee that would distribute Ritalin that would wear off within an hour to all boys between 5-15 before Mass....LOL.....

Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Maybe I could start a parish commitee that would distribute Ritalin that would wear off within an hour to all boys between 5-15 before Mass....LOL.....
Oh that would be way better than duct tape...much less noticable...you could pass it out inside a confessional so no one would see you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality