Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:43 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,489,509 times

Advertisements

How many people feel they have a relative or friend currently residing in hell or some place like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 11:51 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,271,436 times
I don't believe in a mythical hell, but I do believe that war is hell.
Or living in absolute poverty is hell.
Or having no hope to a better future is hell.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:24 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,587,583 times
At this moment , most of my relatives seem to be living pretty good..I have been through "hell and high water" a few times in this life and somehow managed to survive and learn lessons from it to keep myself out of going there again

Old 07-20-2008, 06:52 AM

8,002 posts, read 12,327,238 times
Let's just say that June has a deceased, former in-law who (on her less than better, "gentle June" days) she still likes to wonder about...

Old 07-20-2008, 07:36 AM

I'm actually very interested in this topic because I can't say I've ever met someone who has talked about a relative or friend that died and said "He/She is in hell now."

So, I'm interested... Who knows someone that is close to them who is more than likely rotting and burning in hell?

Surely someone has to be rotting in hell. Not all of us go to heaven, right? Or do we...

Old 07-20-2008, 07:57 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,199,904 times
None, as i don't believe in H&H
But i wish i did, as some of the people i've met would find a great deal of "pleasure" being in either H or H.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm actually very interested in this topic because I can't say I've ever met someone who has talked about a relative or friend that died and said "He/She is in hell...
Troop, I don't believe in hellfire for anyone either..I can tell some stories though about some of my h and his family and other members of their nondenominational church who have no problem at all announcing where the person in that casket is at now....WOW some of the families have hellfire and damnation sermons preached at the funeral services in hopes of "saving" others while they are mourning their dead loved one..Talk about a "window of opportunity"

Old 07-20-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Troop, I don't believe in hellfire for anyone either..I can tell some stories though about some of my h and his family and other members of their nondenominational church who have no problem at all announcing where the person in that casket is at now....WOW some of the families have hellfire and damnation sermons preached at the funeral services in hopes of "saving" others while they are mourning their dead loved one..Talk about a "window of opportunity"
So they actually look at dead members of their family and say "He/She is rotting in hell right now." Wow?!

You know, the thing about it is that people flaunt around this notion of hell to others. This alleged fear of burning forever, of being tortured for eternity, that kind of thing. But very rarely, if ever, have I heard people direct those sentiments towards members of their own family. It's often a remark made in passing about someone... like George Carlin... who you know but don't know. What's even stranger about this phenomenon is that the necessary requirements for getting into heaven often seem to be changed after the death of an individual. I've heard "Well, he was saved so he's in heaven." Yet, I can't count the times I've heard that you have to be saved and act Christlike to get to heaven... Interesting...

On top of that, it often seems like no one is willing to condemn their grandparents to hell. Why not? Surely there must be a grandmother or grandfather that's going to rot away in hell, right? I've heard of grandmothers and grandfathers that raised children and abused them only to hear after they've died that the abusee says "I'm glad they're rotting in hell". But, no one ever thinks of their sweet old grandmother as burning and rotting in hell. Why not? What if she's not saved or a complete "Christian"? Doesn't that mean granny is going to be baking apple pies without the need for an oven forever more?

Why don't people take this into account?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 AM

8,419 posts, read 16,271,436 times
Originally Posted by GCSTroop
Quote:
Why don't people take this into account?
For the exact same reason that people do not notice signs of abuse in their immediate vicinity?
Most people believe it only happens to others and not to people they know or are familiar with.

Knowing usually needs to action by taking responsibility (read: make a decision to interfere or not).
And most people subconsciously choose to ignore the problem, because people usually take the road of least resistance.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 AM

Troop, it was common for 40 some years for me to hear not so much "he/she is rotting in hell". but more to the tune of "He/she may be sorry now he/she wasn't baptized before he/she died, they were warned the consequence is hellfire"."Hmp, he/she knows the truth now, but wouldn't listen to us"(US?) "I just hope and pray that his baptism over there in the baptist church will be enough.", "I doubt that I will meet him/her in heaven"..They ALL don't have this selfrighteous, holier than thou attitude, but many do in this area and even in the areas outside here where I live..

And I often say about the child rapist, abusers and murders that I hope they rot in hell, simply because that seems to be the worst punishment I can IMAGINE..Besides turning them loose in the yard of the worst prison in this country..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality