Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:46 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,755 times

Advertisements

I know many people who are living in "hell"

Hell on earth is much more likely than going to a dark firely pit when we die. We can choose to elevate ourselves to seek gratitude for the good, with more love in our hearts will can create a heaven on earth as well. We have the choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I don't presume to know if anybody is there.
I'm with Oakback on this one.

I believe in a literal, burning, eternal hell for the unsaved, but I can't make the judgement on if someone did or will or will not go there. I believe that there is alot that goes on behind the scenes that we humans don't know about.. God is a God of judgement, but He is also "bigger" than we sometimes think.

To illustrate this, I was at a funeral some time ago of someone who had once known the Christian way, but had rejected this and had been living an ungodly life, basically up to the day of their death (I'll spare you the details, but based on fruit and actions, God was not in their life). When I heard of the person's death, of course I was left without hope of their salvation. However, at the funeral, different things came out.. several people had been strongly impressed to pray for the individual that day, even up to the very hour of the person's death.. his friends said that something seemed to be troubling him that day - he was not himself (the death was a freak accident).. so what I gather from this was: God was speaking. He was unmistakeably calling... and extending grace enough for my friend to accept the final call. Did my friend answer?

Only God knows.. and in knowing His love and ability to free Himself on mankind, I can rest it with Him.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:20 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
I'm not asking for people to make the judgment, I'm asking if you suspect that you know anybody who is probably rotting away in hell. Like if I dropped dead right now most of you would probably say "Yeah, Troop's feeling the skin sear off his body right now as the devil is introducing him to his new home."

My point is that hell usually seems to be reserved for people who you've recently met, consider yourself a possible acquaintance with, but very rarely a family member or loved one. I find it amazing how easy it is for people to say "I hope he was saved" when talking about someone they read about in a newspaper but just as easy to say "He's in a better place now" when talking about a family member. It's as if the judgment is instantaneous.

I'm still waiting to hear someone say "He's probably burning, rotting, and festering in hell now" in regards to a loved one. Why don't we ever hear this?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
We as Christians all hope and pray that our deceased friends and family members reside in Heaven we don't wish to think of them in the Lake of Fire. It is our obligation as Christians to share the Gospel with others who don't know the Lord and hopefully they have a change of heart and turn to the Lord.

We don't know the heart of an individual including our friends and family members,but all we can do is share the Gospel and the choice is up to them,so whether one resides in Heaven or Hell is entirely up to the person.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by GCSTroop
Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear someone say "He's probably burning, rotting, and festering in hell now" in regards to a loved one.
In that case no.
Simply because I do not believe in an afterlife.
I mean I don't know where my deceased father is, I only know that he is dead. I have convinced myself that I'll never see him again, although I'm not sure if this is the case.
So I'm prepared for the fact that I'll never see my father again.
But if there is indeed an afterlife in which I'll see him again, that is great too.
I wouldn't mind being wrong on that account.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
We as Christians all hope and pray that our deceased friends and family members reside in Heaven we don't wish to think of them in the Lake of Fire. It is our obligation as Christians to share the Gospel with others who don't know the Lord and hopefully they have a change of heart and turn to the Lord.

We don't know the heart of an individual including our friends and family members,but all we can do is share the Gospel and the choice is up to them,so whether one resides in Heaven or Hell is entirely up to the person.
*Banging Head Against the Wall*

That's not what I'm asking!

Why is it so easy to condemn people to hell when you're preaching to them or when you hear about someone's death and yet not a single person on this forum has thought to themselves that perhaps they had a friend or family member who was not quite a Christian and may be burning and rotting and screaming in eternal torture in hell?

If it is so easy for people to make the determination of who is going to heaven or hell when they are preaching and proselytizing why can you not make the distinction when a family member dies? It seems to me that a heavy part of the way in which people preach the word of God is to include the fact that if you do not believe in him you will go to hell and burn and rot and fester and puss and scream in agonizing horror for all eternity. But why are you able to tell other people that this is all a reality and pass it off so nonchalantly when you may have family members having the skin eaten off their flesh right now?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:00 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm actually very interested in this topic because I can't say I've ever met someone who has talked about a relative or friend that died and said "He/She is in hell now."

So, I'm interested... Who knows someone that is close to them who is more than likely rotting and burning in hell?

Surely someone has to be rotting in hell. Not all of us go to heaven, right? Or do we...
Quote:
I'm not asking for people to make the judgment, I'm asking if you suspect that you know anybody who is probably rotting away in hell. Like if I dropped dead right now most of you would probably say "Yeah, Troop's feeling the skin sear off his body right now as the devil is introducing him to his new home."

My point is that hell usually seems to be reserved for people who you've recently met, consider yourself a possible acquaintance with, but very rarely a family member or loved one. I find it amazing how easy it is for people to say "I hope he was saved" when talking about someone they read about in a newspaper but just as easy to say "He's in a better place now" when talking about a family member. It's as if the judgment is instantaneous.

I'm still waiting to hear someone say "He's probably burning, rotting, and festering in hell now" in regards to a loved one. Why don't we ever hear this?
Quote:
*Banging Head Against the Wall*

That's not what I'm asking!

Why is it so easy to condemn people to hell when you're preaching to them or when you hear about someone's death and yet not a single person on this forum has thought to themselves that perhaps they had a friend or family member who was not quite a Christian and may be burning and rotting and screaming in eternal torture in hell?

If it is so easy for people to make the determination of who is going to heaven or hell when they are preaching and proselytizing why can you not make the distinction when a family member dies? It seems to me that a heavy part of the way in which people preach the word of God is to include the fact that if you do not believe in him you will go to hell and burn and rot and fester and puss and scream in agonizing horror for all eternity. But why are you able to tell other people that this is all a reality and pass it off so nonchalantly when you may have family members having the skin eaten off their flesh right now?
If you think this is how Christians view Hell and those that might be there, you haven't learned anything from posting here.

Not one thing.

I'm just so thankful for the posts by the Christians in this thread.

Great job.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
If you think this is how Christians view Hell and those that might be there, you haven't learned anything from posting here.

Not one thing.

I'm just so thankful for the posts by the Christians in this thread.

Great job.
Alpha,

According to your point of view do you believe that it is very likely that I will go to hell when I die?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
This point of view actually makes some sense to me because it was basically what I was taught -- that every person gets some kind of "final choice" upon death. I think that Christians like my parents believe this and that is how they deal with the fact that I should technically go to hell if I died right now. Personally, I can't buy into that idea, because it seems to nullify some big no-nos such as denying Jesus and all that. And I know that a lot of Christians feel that way.
I think the question in the OP could be adjusted a little bit to ask the question to those who feel that there are certain sins that are a guaranteed trip to hell. How do you deal with loved ones who willfully do not believe in Jesus? It's a good question, because I really don't know how it feels to go through life believing that loved ones are going to hell, and some people must have to live with that. So I, also, am just wondering...

Old 07-21-2008, 09:31 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
Quote:
Alpha,

According to your point of view do you believe that it is very likely that I will go to hell when I die?
Hey Troop ,Alpha and I as well as others hope that you do not perish in hell,but have everlasting life in Heaven,however this is not just a point of view,this is what is stated in the Bible(Revelations) and what the Bible states is true to me and to others who believe in the Father,Son and Holy Spirit.Unless one accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour,by having a true repentance,a change of heart,one will perish and reside in an eternal Hell,because it is a turning away from God,a hardening of the heart.

Last edited by noland123; 07-21-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality