Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 08:36 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times

Advertisements

The tranquility and peace of the sacred circle calls me tonight to sit among my friends and once more renew myself and rest in the fellowship a here..The fire and the quiet drumming sooth me and I am at rest..
Today was such a wonderful day for me..Most was spent outside planting things around the yard and doing maintenance that was neglected last year when I was unable to tend to it..I feel so alive, so refreshed as each day brings me back me closer to my old strength and activities...
I love reading the histories of the native Americans and think I will order that book GP was talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 03:19 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times

book ordered and read.

beltane last night. and too quiet --- for comfort ...?

understanding, at long last, radionics, and the likes we choose to acknowledge.

circle unbroken!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
This morning I was awakened by a Cardinal outside my window. After several wet and cloudy days, the sun was shining. It is only going to last till mid afternoon but it is feeling good now.....at least the birds are singing and happy.

For the past 5 years I have lived with a leaky roof. I had had several quotes in the $4500-$6000 range to replace the roof. Finally I broke down last week and ordered some steel, and yesterday my son and a couple of his friends came over and we installed it over the existing roof. As it turned out, we only had one layer of shingles on it so we were able to attach it to the decking. After paying each of the workers, the whole project cost under $2500. Now I can fix the ceiling in the bathroom where it leaked the worst. Tomorrow we are getting a 80% chance of rain. I am hoping we have no wet spots tomorrow.

Isn't it funny how such simple things as a roof that doesn't leak means so much?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
This morning I was awakened by a Cardinal outside my window. After several wet and cloudy days, the sun was shining. It is only going to last till mid afternoon but it is feeling good now.....at least the birds are singing and happy.

For the past 5 years I have lived with a leaky roof. I had had several quotes in the $4500-$6000 range to replace the roof. Finally I broke down last week and ordered some steel, and yesterday my son and a couple of his friends came over and we installed it over the existing roof. As it turned out, we only had one layer of shingles on it so we were able to attach it to the decking. After paying each of the workers, the whole project cost under $2500. Now I can fix the ceiling in the bathroom where it leaked the worst. Tomorrow we are getting a 80% chance of rain. I am hoping we have no wet spots tomorrow.

Isn't it funny how such simple things as a roof that doesn't leak means so much?

Ahhh, but now you may have to go outside to shower.....

Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,113 times
It is good to sit here among others of different beliefs,faith,and religions and realize that the Creator has created us as different individuals and different mindsets, we all have our different beliefs or non-beliefs and that is the way it should be, no two of us think exactly the same, even among those who have the same religion, each individual of that religion thinks about it differently and that is why we travel our own individual path to our Creator. The way one person thinks about his/her religion should not be forced upon another because we do not all think the same and that is the way the Creator has meant it to be, otherwise he would not have given us the ability to think for ourselves. It is good to sit here among all the different people and know that we can sit here in peace and harmony and respect.osay

Old 05-04-2009, 12:16 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
Exclamation tongue very guarded..!!

YouTube - Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode live

Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
It is good to sit here among others of different beliefs,faith,and religions and realize that the Creator has created us as different individuals and different mindsets, we all have our different beliefs or non-beliefs and that is the way it should be, no two of us think exactly the same, even among those who have the same religion, each individual of that religion thinks about it differently and that is why we travel our own individual path to our Creator. The way one person thinks about his/her religion should not be forced upon another because we do not all think the same and that is the way the Creator has meant it to be, otherwise he would not have given us the ability to think for ourselves. It is good to sit here among all the different people and know that we can sit here in peace and harmony and respect.osay
This is an interesting thing you talk about, ptsum.

Once upon a time, there was a great teacher who taught about how one should talk with the creator. He taught that one should go away to themselves and speak quietly. He said that one should not ask for things, that the creator has already provided the things you need for this life and that the creator knows before you ask what is troubling you. He taught that the one who makes a show of prayer or of charity does not pray nor are they charitable.

He spoke of taking care of the least among us. I recall stories of various Native American peoples who will make sure the children and women are fed, that widows and orphans were taken into families and cared for and fed and cherished. This caring for others was at the core of the teachings of that great teacher.

Where I found similarities with what you spoke about, was when the teacher talked about sharing with each other. He taught that a person should meet with others and share....even though we are to keep the relationship with the creator private, what we gain from that relationship we are to share with others.

When you bring words that are wise, they help me understand what is happening in my life. Your words of wisdom can make my life better, they can make my understanding of the creator greater.

The converse is often true as well. When a person speaks words that hurt or condemn, when the stranger is ignored or derided, when a hungry or thirsty person is not fed or given drink, yet that person claims great insight into the spirit of the creator, then that person is a fool and should not be listened to. His words are idle and are spoken to make himself large by making others small.

I prefer sitting here, listening and sharing to visiting a building where I am lectured by fools and self important people who speak idle and mean words.

As an aside, I find myself amused by those who proclaim foolish thoughts and words, and others, equally foolish, argue meaningless points of a law that does not exist.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:32 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
Greetings all. I read the first 10 or so pages here and then realized there were 100 more. Hope it's ok to step in from here. I'm not necessarily looking for a new way but I'd love to sit and hear this conversation.

As for my beliefs, I consider myself to be a secular Jew and am very open to other ways. I don't really pray to a great spirit but do believe that there is spirit/energy around us and that we can send out positive energy for people too.

Here's what I said at MontanaGuy's thread in this forum about what shaped your religious beliefs...

"Well isn't it just your dumb luck that you get the new Jewish girl as your first responder?

For me, I don't need proof and I don't need to be right or to disprove someone else's beliefs. As a child, I was exposed to lots of different religions and thought they all were about fables/allegories, rituals, and community - a group to identify with and find meaning together. I thought God was a symbol or totem and never realized we were supposed to believe in his existence any more than we were to believe in Santa. However, I don't deny the existence of God or the possibility of other entities, spirit, or whatever you wish to call it. Nor do I begrudge anyone their faith - quite the opposite, I see value in organized religion for some people. Unfortunately, much harm has been done in the world in the name of religion. Judaism doesn't teach about heaven and hell so that promise/fear wasn't an issue for me. I understand what I believe is "right" or "wrong" and try to live accordingly. So, I expect I will always identify myself as a Jew because of the cultural significance, but I don't participate in the religious rituals. Religious practices, art, history, storytelling - all are fascinating to me and do have value and positive teachings - it's just not something I care to subscribe to. Instead I choose to "take the best and leave the rest."

Interested to read other responses - I hope this thread stays kind xo

ps. you ask about powerful influences - for me it's probably watching and learning - seeing how my parents (mostly) and also family, and people in the world or in literature conduct themselves. "

end quote. Hope that helps and that you're cool with me being here sometimes. Either way, thanks for starting this thread Ptsum - I appreciate your style.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Hi Toosie, I love this thread too and a part of me is here all the time..I love the peace, the friendship and the tolerance for all of my friends who follow a different path from myself.. I believe that the creator awaits at the end of our many different paths and I believe that is all of our destinations..Welcome to the circle, my friend

Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM

You are more than welcome tootsie.........Of course I am speaking for myself........but we all come here with respect for others (not just acceptance, but respect) beliefs. What is fascinating is when people of different faiths, be it heathen or pagan or christian or a mix of them all, discuss their core faith we discover we are pretty much all on the same page.

We also share the joy to be found in this wonderful world around us. I hope you will come often and share your joy as well...........

BTW, where in OK are you planning to move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality