Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 04:27 AM

261 posts, read 156,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
I know Christianity is having trouble staying relevant. One thing that would help is getting rid of the book of Revelations. Nothing wrong with saying, "Hey, I know we originally included this book after a lot of debate over whether it belonged in the Bible, but we've rethought this issue and decided that the book is bogus. No way is any of the stuff in that book going to happen. There aren't going to be 144,000 Christian males saved in the end. That would be ridiculous."

That silly book is a load of fanciful nonsense, the Bible would be much better without it! Mind you, extreme Christians would be up the creek without a paddle if they hadn't got it so they could use the book to back up their own crazy doomsday predictions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 05:48 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,049,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What tribe do you descend from?...
I believe that Americans and Canadians are from one of the Tribes of Joseph.
I believe that Central and South Americans are from the Tribe of Zabulon.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:51 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,049,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Revelation 7:2-3 ...'And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.' ... So, the servants of God receive a 'seal' in their foreheads.
So those servants of God who receive a seal in their forehead, won't be able to buy or sell.
More nonsense.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:00 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,932,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I believe that Americans and Canadians are from one of the Tribes of Joseph.
I believe that Central and South Americans are from the Tribe of Zabulon.
One of these days I'm going to find that rock and plug the exit.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:34 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,537,709 times
Keep the "Golden Rule".

Toss everything else.

Done.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:19 AM

88,634 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Actually there are only words attributed to Christ. Christ didn't author a single article, short story or poem, much less an autobiography.

So in reality it's all SGO (Some Guy's Opinion). Or at least someone's assertion.
Good point and true. However, if someone is following Christ, he or she is at a minimum taking on faith that the words were his.

Your post reminded me that last year we had a woman in our theology class who had a Jewish mother and a Methodist father. She was raised culturally Jewish but not with instruction in either religion beyond what's needed to celebrate Jewish holidays. She was astonished to learn that none of the NT is claimed to have been actually written by Jesus because she assumed the Christian scriptures contained his writings , and she seemed to think that there were a significant number of people who thought as she did. I in turn was astonished to hear that perspective; of course, having grown up in a church with a bible-intensive Sunday School, it was a good reminder that what we might assume "everyone knows" is not always what everyone knows.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-01-2016 at 08:28 AM..

Old 03-01-2016, 09:28 AM

23,182 posts, read 10,474,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
As I said - Nonsense.
I am thinking that you don't know the 7 feast days of God or what is said and done by the priests on feast days.

The feasts days are a science and that'S what Revelation is.

You say you are an Israelite,so yo u don't believe what I am saying. If you are a Jew, I could easily prove what I say from the Talmud, but somehow, I don't think you are a Jew.

CHRISTIAN who doesn't know the feast days of Jesus? If you haven't a clue about feast days, why say ,'' nonsense?''

I don't believe you know the feast days, so you wouldn't know if what I am saying is true or not.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 03-01-2016 at 09:40 AM..

Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So. "no, I have no idea what you are talking about" would be a more open-minded answer. Try a different approach, you just might learn something.

I have never had any use for the book, but it contains one of my favorite quotations, and I'd be willing to try a new approach to it, though the imagery is seriously off-putting. I gotta say.
What quote would that be?

Old 03-01-2016, 09:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,932,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
What quote would that be?
"Behold I stand at the door and knock, if anyone opens to me I will sup with him and he with me." Now I gotta go check the wording.....close enough.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:00 AM

Yeah that is a seriously cool saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality