Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings on God?
I reject him 4 5.13%
I do not believe he exists 52 66.67%
I believe in him and believe he is the one and only true God 22 28.21%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:33 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,410,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Nice try. I say it is crap as a reliable record of what Jesus did and it is crap in a practical way. That there is a smidgeon of misplaced mercy to be detected if you look hard enough does not make it other than crap. <snipped>
If all you take away from it is a "smidgen of misplaced mercy", perhaps it is because you are jaded by preconceived notions. That's understandable. The fact that others of us see the main emphasis of the narrative to be mercy, forgiveness, love, kindness, caring, and a correction of notions of the divine which are the antithesis of those qualities, might give you pause to reconsider. Or not. Different strokes for different folks. But I do think your characterization of something as mainly crap, that others find to be in tune with the higher ideals of morality that you seem to share, at least to some degree, is ... confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:36 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If all you take away from it is a "smidgen of misplaced mercy", perhaps it is because you are jaded by preconceived notions. That's understandable. The fact that others of us see the main emphasis of the narrative to be mercy, forgiveness, love, kindness, caring, and a correction of notions of the divine which are the antithesis of those qualities, might give you pause to reconsider. Or not. Different strokes for different folks. But I do think your characterization of something as mainly crap, that others find to be in tune with the higher ideals of morality that you seem to share, at least to some degree, is ... confusing.
If the smidgeon of misplaced mercy is all you see, that is understandable. It is all you are taught to look for.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
If the smidgeon of misplaced mercy is all you see, that is understandable. It is all you are taught to look for.
If you believe that is true, then what is the problem? Why would you quibble with someone seeing it in such a light?

Old 04-07-2015, 12:20 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
First off I am amazed. I don't normally visit this specific forum. The question interested me though. I have a few questions. After reading the posts within this thread I was left with a few questions of my own.

1. Why, if you don't believe in a God would you spend time in this forum?

2. What proof is there that a God does not exist?

3. If there is a God, What is wrong with a God asking for us to live a certain way?

4. Some people mentioned that they were OK with some aspects of a God but didn't like other aspects. So is it OK to believe in a God as long as that God is not condeming me. Is that the idea I am reading?

5. Is it possible that the Bible was not translated correctly? People seem to say that it contradicts itself. So that we are on the same page, the Bible was put together from lots of works. Kind of a hodge podge of letters and books placed together to create what is known as the Bible.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:26 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
First off I am amazed. I don't normally visit this specific forum. The question interested me though. I have a few questions. After reading the posts within this thread I was left with a few questions of my own.

3. If there is a God, What is wrong with a God asking for us to live a certain way?

4. Some people mentioned that they were OK with some aspects of a God but didn't like other aspects. So is it OK to believe in a God as long as that God is not condeming me. Is that the idea I am reading?

5. Is it possible that the Bible was not translated correctly? People seem to say that it contradicts itself. So that we are on the same page, the Bible was put together from lots of works. Kind of a hodge podge of letters and books placed together to create what is known as the Bible.
One cannot prove a negative, I cannot prove that all the gods and goddesses that ever were do not all exist either.What proof that a God does is exist is a more appropiate question, one that I have not really asked believers to answer either.

Questions 3-5 are meaningless if you do not believe in any gods and for the first one perhaps religion and how it affects people's world view is of interest as most of the threads are not about god but about religions.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Though the poll doesn't specify, the op says the question pertains to the Abrahamic God (and since I know the op is Christian, I assume he was asking from that point of view), so my response to you is on that basis alone. The description of the Abrahamic God as put forth in ALL of the books compiled into the bible is SELF-contradictory; they do not add up to a cohesive whole and taken ALL together as an infallible description of God, it is nonsensical at best.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Though the poll doesn't specify, the op says the question pertains to the Abrahamic God (and since I know the op is Christian, I assume he was asking from that point of view), so my response to you is on that basis alone. The description of the Abrahamic God as put forth in ALL of the books compiled into the bible is SELF-contradictory; they do not add up to a cohesive whole and taken ALL together as an infallible description of God, it is nonsensical at best.
And that's putting it delicately.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And that's putting it delicately.
That's what I was shooting for.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:47 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,253,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
When it comes to the God of Abraham it seems that many people on here reject him, but it seems to be for different reasons. Some honestly do not believe that a god exists and that there is no reason to believe in one, but then you have another set of people who see God as being evil, contradictory or whatever other adjectives you can think of. So my question is, if you are not a believer, then where do you fit in? Do you reject God or do you just not believe he exist?
No choice for "I believe in the God of the New Testament?"

Old 04-07-2015, 08:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
No choice for "I believe in the God of the New Testament?"
Nope.

The OP is a "his way or the highway" kind of a guy. Which skews how the poll was written... and that skews the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality