Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings on God?
I reject him 4 5.13%
I do not believe he exists 52 66.67%
I believe in him and believe he is the one and only true God 22 28.21%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 02:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The fact that the voting results are public undoubtedly keeps a lot of people from voting at all. A lot of Americans have grown up with the idea that the ballot box is very private, and they like it that way.
Agreed. I rarely vote on CD polls for that reason. I think the last poll I participated in was about football and I was supporting my team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:13 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,006,245 times
Quote:
The fact that the voting results are public undoubtedly keeps a lot of people from voting at all. A lot of Americans have grown up with the idea that the ballot box is very private, and they like it that way.
Well people like yourself have no problem sharing your opinion on these topics so I don't see why this is any different than what you already post.

This is not a ballot, this is a poll on an anonymous forum. Please. As you are...

Old 04-08-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Agreed. I rarely vote on CD polls for that reason. I think the last poll I participated in was about football and I was supporting my team.
When are you going to actually post something relevant to the topic?

A/A privilege

Old 04-08-2015, 06:44 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,793,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
When are you going to actually post something relevant to the topic?
I don't know, I think that discussing the limitations of the poll is not off base. I didn't vote because I felt it was not well worded. I would need to vote for both options 1 and 2, so I just posted a comment...

Quote:
A/A privilege
DewDropInn is African American? In Alcoholics Anonymous?

Because much as I would like to claim her for the Atheists and Agnostics (She seems a good addition to any social gathering to me!), she isn't one... Not believing in your doctrine does not make one an Atheist...

-NoCapo

Old 04-08-2015, 06:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post

Because much as I would like to claim her for the Atheists and Agnostics (She seems a good addition to any social gathering to me!), she isn't one... Not believing in your doctrine does not make one an Atheist...

-NoCapo
Blushing modestly.... Absolutely Adorable.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I don't know, I think that discussing the limitations of the poll is not off base. I didn't vote because I felt it was not well worded. I would need to vote for both options 1 and 2, so I just posted a comment...

-NoCapo
Then don't respond. Oh but I guess you can respond to what ever you want what ever way you want when you believe in certain things ...

Old 04-08-2015, 07:23 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,793,915 times
Quote:
Then don't respond.
No.

If you post on a public forum, you don't get to control how people respond. Don't like it, get a blog.

but seriously, why would you ask a question and not be interested in peoples responses? Its almost like you want to ask loaded and misleading questions in order to mischaracterize people who disagree with you and create a fictional narrative that demonizes people who disagree with you...

Quote:
Oh but I guess you can respond to what ever you want what ever way you want when you believe in certain things ...
Oh, well what do you know? A fictional narrative...

I can respond however I want because I am a human being participating in a open discussion forum, same as you. It has nothing to do with what I believe or don't, what color my skin is, what gender I am attracted to, my age, my nationality, my profession or any other criteria you might care to use to label, other-ize, or demonize me.

But you are right, this discussion is not related to the original question, so in order to come back on topic, did you learn anything interesting from your poll? Did this question enlighten you in some way? Was there something about the distinction between rejecting a god-concept and disbelieving that concept that you feel is meaningful?

-NoCapo

Old 04-08-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
No.

If you post on a public forum, you don't get to control how people respond. Don't like it, get a blog.

but seriously, why would you ask a question and not be interested in peoples responses? Its almost like you want to ask loaded and misleading questions in order to mischaracterize people who disagree with you and create a fictional narrative that demonizes people who disagree with you...
No one is controlling how you respond, if you look I haven't even responded to this thread for a good portion of it. I just don't get why you would complain about how a thread is done. Just ignore it and move on. What purpose is your comment serving?

Who said I didn't care about people's responses?

Quote:
Oh, well what do you know? A fictional narrative...

I can respond however I want because I am a human being participating in a open discussion forum, same as you. It has nothing to do with what I believe or don't, what color my skin is, what gender I am attracted to, my age, my nationality, my profession or any other criteria you might care to use to label, other-ize, or demonize me.

But you are right, this discussion is not related to the original question, so in order to come back on topic, did you learn anything interesting from your poll? Did this question enlighten you in some way? Was there something about the distinction between rejecting a god-concept and disbelieving that concept that you feel is meaningful?

-NoCapo
I was interested in what certain posters believe and what their mindset was. I believe I have learned a lot about people's beliefs. I hope we all have. Thank you.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:46 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,731,369 times
Quote:
Quote:
Well people like yourself have no problem sharing your opinion on these topics so I don't see why this is any different than what you already post.

This is not a ballot, this is a poll on an anonymous forum. Please. As you are...
Your response makes no sense. What do you mean with "people like yourself?" I didn't express an opinion on the topic. I merely commented on one reason the results are skewed. Others have posted other reasons.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Your response makes no sense. What do you mean with "people like yourself?" I didn't express an opinion on the topic. I merely commented on one reason the results are skewed. Others have posted other reasons.
We clearly know what your views are, from your posts on other threads. No need for you to post in here for us to know what you believe. You have made that clear. Again it's no different than voting on a poll. If you don't want people know your views on religion, why would you post in the R & S section at all? Again you are comparing a political process to anonymous internet forum poll. There is no comparison. People don't vote because they either didn't like the question, didn't like the choices or because they are afraid of people knowing what they really feel. If that's the case then that's their choice. Everyone won't respond, I'm not expecting everyone to.

If you don't feel comfortable sharing your religious views. Don't vote! No one is holding a gun to your head. This isn't a census. Whether you respond to this or not is a choice so if you or anyone else do not feel comfortable, then there is nothing wrong with that.

It seems like you are critical of public polling, yet you represent the site and they have it as an option. If you don't think public polling is useful, then why don't you do something about it? I used it because it was offered and I believe it brings integrity to the results. It doesn't make sense for you of all people to question something that this website is offering as a tool for us to you. Again, as you are..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality