Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 10:23 PM

48,754 posts, read 35,522,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGi87 View Post
How is having plans for a career as a cop an ambition? Nothing wrong with cops, it's an incredibly important and stressful job, but he's definitely not on the same page as his girlfriend.
Also I don't think it's the fact he wants a career with normal salary in itself, rather he spends his whole free time chilling instead of improving himself. We can assume just from the little information we were given he's probably not going to be the greatest of cops either.
I know POs who make 6 figures.

Plus, lifetime medical for them and spouse, and 60% pension on high 3.

I'm sorry, where is the down side?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2016, 11:41 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,293,680 times
I'm surprised being a police officer is not considered ambitious. It takes a hell of a lot of guts to become a police officer, and training, as well as (I believe?) staying fit and capable (is that right? Don't they get routinely tested?). It also takes bravery, knowing people/human nature, and it takes long, long hours and a sharp eye. This isn't considered ambitious? Becoming and staying a cop is no walk in the park.

Even if it comes down to the money thing - some cops do make good money, but for those who don't (yet), how is ambition tied only to money?

Old 12-20-2016, 12:35 PM

26,727 posts, read 42,070,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know POs who make 6 figures.

Plus, lifetime medical for them and spouse, and 60% pension on high 3.

I'm sorry, where is the down side?
Let's see unionized job that pays overtime with a chance at a pension? Not too many of them jobs left.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:19 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,024,190 times
Quote:
I think some of OP concerns are real.

First off she is always careful not making him pay too much at restaurants, but he doesn't care and picks the expensive stuff without even asking if it's ok? Huge red flag. A person with good manners and courtesy doesn't act this way.

Then he is a man who has no ambition in life, while she constantly wants more. How can you be in a happy long term relationship with someone you consider a loser? It's not about gender. I actually feel the same about women. If they don't hold themselves to high standards to me they are immediately discarded.
This said I don't think everybody should be driven to want the best for themselves, but I would not hang around people with no ambition because they will have a bad influence on my life and my mindset. For what it's worth, I would advice OP to do the same.

Also lack of sexual intercourse from previous partners being mentioned is interesting. OP were you doing your best to be sexually attractive? Like not being overweight and not dressing plainly. Are you good and proactive at sex? Have you learned how to give mindblowing blowjobs? Are you good at teasing men? I am not saying the lack of sex with intellectually matching men was your fault, but perhaps you could do something better to improve the situation. Men with low libido aren't that common, you either got super unlucky or you could definitely improve the situation by changing your approach.
You should send her your promotional videos.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:53 PM

70 posts, read 46,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm surprised being a police officer is not considered ambitious. It takes a hell of a lot of guts to become a police officer, and training, as well as (I believe?) staying fit and capable (is that right? Don't they get routinely tested?). It also takes bravery, knowing people/human nature, and it takes long, long hours and a sharp eye. This isn't considered ambitious? Becoming and staying a cop is no walk in the park.

Even if it comes down to the money thing - some cops do make good money, but for those who don't (yet), how is ambition tied only to money?
It's a bad job. It's underpaid for risk taken and competence required and you are working as an employee. Ambitious people do not choose to be a cop. This, coupled with the fact the guy does nothing to improve himself in his free time leads to some serious differences between him and OP.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:20 PM

11,125 posts, read 5,687,038 times
Your guy served in the Military and was ambitious enough to contribute part of his pay, to set up a GI Bill fund for himself. Now, he's extending his ambition by getting college-educated. He could just go directly into law-enforcement, but again, he's ambitious enough to get a full education first. Maybe, with his military and educational background, he will be able to advance to a high position as a policeman. Since he's kind and considerate of you, what more do you want?

Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 PM

26,727 posts, read 42,070,956 times
Quote:
It's a bad job. It's underpaid for ris taken and competence required and you are working as an employee. Ambitious people do not choose to be a cop. This, coupled with the fact the guy does nothing to improve himself in his free time leads to some serious differences between him and OP.
Ambitious people do not choose to be a cop? You are kidding me. I know people who have chosen to be cops so they can help clean up their hometowns, a very ambitious endeavor IMO. Who are you to say it's a bad job? What do you do for a living that is so ambitious may I ask?

Old 12-21-2016, 11:42 PM

52,793 posts, read 53,374,324 times
Quote:
It's a bad job. It's underpaid for risk taken and competence required and you are working as an employee. Ambitious people do not choose to be a cop. This, coupled with the fact the guy does nothing to improve himself in his free time leads to some serious differences between him and OP.
What kind of foolishness are you babbling on about? I mean really, got get some money and come back and buy a clue, being a police officer is a very good and ambitious job. Hell, I wouldn't be a cop for the life of me due to how difficult it is and how little pay you get. You really need to educate yourself here, assuming you don't have nefarious intentions with a post like this. People who become police officers have a lot of ambition to help change the world around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Ambitious people do not choose to be a cop? You are kidding me. I know people who have chosen to be cops so they can help clean up their hometowns, a very ambitious endeavor IMO. Who are you to say it's a bad job? What do you do for a living that is so ambitious may I ask?
I agree.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:45 PM

70 posts, read 46,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As already stated it's an underpaid job for risk taken and competence required. If that's not bad, what is?
Also do we really believe most cops are there to serve? The amount of horror stories from USA policemen is staggering. These guys litteraly steal money from people stopped for car inspections and can intrude in your home and shoot your dog without giving a proper explaination and without any repercussion. Also it's a job where you could be rejected because you scored too high on the intelligence tests. It's almost a joke.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:47 PM

477 posts, read 280,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Your guy served in the Military and was ambitious enough to contribute part of his pay, to set up a GI Bill fund for himself. Now, he's extending his ambition by getting college-educated. He could just go directly into law-enforcement, but again, he's ambitious enough to get a full education first. Maybe, with his military and educational background, he will be able to advance to a high position as a policeman. Since he's kind and considerate of you, what more do you want?
There was a funny comment from a comedian, I forget whom, who said "a woman won't ever be satisfied until she has a man with a huge penis that tastes like chocolate and ejaculates money."

All kidding aside, the OP should not force a relationship that isn't working for her. Her discontent does not make her a bad person, it just means they're not ready for each other in the here and now. They both have free will, use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships