Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 12:19 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
If it keeps raining pretty soon I’ll be able to cast a line into our creek…. From my back porch. ( we don’t have any fish in our creek). Lol
Bring in some equipment, dig out an area on your land, for a pond (a low area if you have one).
When i go fishing, i sometimes keep some of the fish i catch alive in 5 gallon buckets, using a battery operated air pump/s, to keep them alive until i get home & put them in my bass pond.

I like to go out & catch frogs & crawdads (especially at night), to keep a good population going in my bass pond. I use air pumps for the crawdads, in 5 gallon plastic buckets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 12:42 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah, I'm actually really OK with it being a house and not much else. My concern is that we don't know what kind of care he will need between now and the end of his life. There could still be big expenses, like medical stuff, and if he drains his resources to cover those kinds of things... We don't have it. If he had to go into a home, if his needs became more than what we could actually help him with, it could necessitate the sale of his home to cover those expenses. That's what really worries me.

Well. That and the fact that I worry about whether he signed himself and his wife (years ago before she passed) for this one Arizona long term care scheme...which promises basically that they will pay costs for long term care, in or out of your home, in exchange for a right to recompense from your estate...basically the "premiums" are several thousand a month, accruing from sign-up, payable when both spouses have passed. I don't know if he has this, and I would like to find out.

My Mom suggested that we get the deed on the house modified to have my husband's name on it with rights of survivorship, so that when he passes, the house goes directly to my husband. I think we need to look into that.

It's just tricky because I don't want to be all nosy into his business, and I've really been trying to create an atmosphere of trust and respect here. But I'm not sure that we should really take it all on faith, that he structured everything in the best way or it will all work out alright.
I think many states have something set up for long term nursing care, but you have to spend every drop of the assets first and or pay them back.

We're in that situation with her mom. The house sales are going toward her long term care. I made sure to tell her brothers to not expect anything. If she passes on at some point and if there's anything left then everyone will get a piece.

Long term nursing care cost 8k to 9k a month, at least here, might be a bit cheaper in AZ.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:43 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Bring in some equipment, dig out an area on your land, for a pond (a low area if you have one).
When i go fishing, i sometimes keep some of the fish i catch alive in 5 gallon buckets, using a battery operated air pump/s, to keep them alive until i get home & put them in my bass pond.

I like to go out & catch frogs & crawdads (especially at night), to keep a good population going in my bass pond. I use air pumps for the crawdads, in 5 gallon plastic buckets.
We have a full sized backhoe and a little dozer. I am already pushing my luck with honey-do’s. Lol
Right now Andre is only here on the weekends so by the time he comes home for the weekend… he’s got a a lot to “catching” up to do. In my present condition I’ve been warned to stay off my horse and not to go bouncing around on the quad. This year we planted a couple acres of wheat and alfalfa. I do have some help, but Andre is in charge of bigger projects. A pond is in our future… just don’t know when.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:52 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
We have a full sized backhoe and a little dozer. I am already pushing my luck with honey-do’s. Lol
Right now Andre is only here on the weekends so by the time he comes home for the weekend… he’s got a a lot to “catching” up to do. In my present condition I’ve been warned to stay off my horse and not to go bouncing around on the quad. This year we planted a couple acres of wheat and alfalfa. I do have some help, but Andre is in charge of bigger projects. A pond is in our future… just don’t know when.
No Problema, my friend. You have plenty of time later on.....

Old 06-24-2022, 06:40 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think many states have something set up for long term nursing care, but you have to spend every drop of the assets first and or pay them back.

We're in that situation with her mom. The house sales are going toward her long term care. I made sure to tell her brothers to not expect anything. If she passes on at some point and if there's anything left then everyone will get a piece.

Long term nursing care cost 8k to 9k a month, at least here, might be a bit cheaper in AZ.
One of the scariest parts of getting old.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
One of the scariest parts of getting old.
We're going to visit her at the nursing home today. She's late stage Alzheimer's and I think she recognizes us. I think she knows us, but not in the same way as before.

It's an awful disease and I hope that they find a cure. It steals your humanity and your dignity.

You lose your family member before they die. I feel bad for Mrs. Chow. Your mom is generally really close to you. Her and her mom were especially so.

The last couple of years between all of the stuff we've had to deal with her mom and the whole stress and uncertainty with the pandemic, it's been a real crappy time in our lives. I could go on with a dozen examples of things related to this subject, but I've been a downer enough for now.

Old 06-26-2022, 01:18 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
Well, Chow, your posts serve several purposes. They get some of the stress off your chest (hopefully). There is an old saying, “A problem shared is a problem halved.” They give others the opportunity to help by giving suggestions or support. And (again, hopefully) others will learn to appreciate the people in their lives (though I wonder about some folks online lol). Besides, many of us would wonder what happened to Chow and Mrs Chow if you didn’t show up!

My mom’s health was the other way around. Her mind was sharp, but her body (bones/joints/back, mostly) failed her. I often wonder which is worse: Having a body that works but not know what’s going on. Or having mind that works and knowing that you can’t get up and do the things your mind tells you that you should still be doing.

HUGS to you & Mrs C

Old 06-26-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Well, Chow, your posts serve several purposes. They get some of the stress off your chest (hopefully). There is an old saying, “A problem shared is a problem halved.” They give others the opportunity to help by giving suggestions or support. And (again, hopefully) others will learn to appreciate the people in their lives (though I wonder about some folks online lol). Besides, many of us would wonder what happened to Chow and Mrs Chow if you didn’t show up!

My mom’s health was the other way around. Her mind was sharp, but her body (bones/joints/back, mostly) failed her. I often wonder which is worse: Having a body that works but not know what’s going on. Or having mind that works and knowing that you can’t get up and do the things your mind tells you that you should still be doing.

HUGS to you & Mrs C
I'll take the failing bones. Thank you for the hugs.

I went to the store today and rescued a batch of pink/purple carnations.

I asked a female employee , "Will she like these."

She answers back, "yes, yes she will"

Sun's out, sky is blue, I don't have any health issues....

What more is there?

Old 06-26-2022, 04:15 PM

Hey meta, my post sounded more curt and short than I meant.

Old 06-26-2022, 04:19 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:

HUGS to you & Mrs C
Thanks, meta. We think about you when you're not posting, too.

And I'm sorry about your mom. Things just don't seem fair sometimes.

Have a nice Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships