Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2022, 02:22 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Agree with you on this! It's an excellent show. Tough subject matter, but handled really well.
I got a bit choked up a couple of times.

Loss is hard, but universal, unfortunately. He did the subject well in my opinion.

Plus he throws in the random humor here and there.

Just like this comedy called life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 04:07 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I can't stand Ricky Gervais, so I always scroll on by when After Life pops up on Netflix.

For Downton Abbey-adjacent, if you don't mind subtitles (or dubs) Velvet on Netflix is pretty good. It's set in the 50s in a Madrid department store, and it's a typical country girl comes to the big city and tries to make it. The clothes are great, and everyone is very symmetrical and attractive.

Old 01-22-2022, 04:39 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I can't stand Ricky Gervais, so I always scroll on by when After Life pops up on Netflix.

For Downton Abbey-adjacent, if you don't mind subtitles (or dubs) Velvet on Netflix is pretty good. It's set in the 50s in a Madrid department store, and it's a typical country girl comes to the big city and tries to make it. The clothes are great, and everyone is very symmetrical and attractive.
Just curious, what part of Gervais do you not like. I'm always intrigued by how people process things.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:23 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I got a bit choked up a couple of times.

Loss is hard, but universal, unfortunately. He did the subject well in my opinion.

Plus he throws in the random humor here and there.

Just like this comedy called life.
Chow, if you haven't already, you and Sea should definitely check out An Idiot Abroad. It was one of my favorite Ricky Gervais series. He sends Karl Pilkington all over the world. I absolutely loved the series and Ricky lets Karl be the star of that show. At least, that's the way I perceived it - and Karl is actually quite endearing in the series.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:07 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Just curious, what part of Gervais do you not like. I'm always intrigued by how people process things.
His public persona, especially of late, is smug and arrogant, and he does the thing where he baits (social) media with controversial statements, and then acts surprised and victimized that people call him on it. Maybe his work is different, but I can't separate the two.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:22 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
His public persona, especially of late, is smug and arrogant, and he does the thing where he baits (social) media with controversial statements, and then acts surprised and victimized that people call him on it. Maybe his work is different, but I can't separate the two.
I was never really a fan either, though sometimes I find his troll act entertaining. But while some of that persona comes out in After Life, I think it's used for effect and not what the show is about. It's really kind of touching.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:41 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I actually have a spreadsheet list of shows that we have enjoyed, noted as to whether they are over with or ongoing and if there's any word on when more is coming out. This would surprise no one who knows me because I live and plan and plot most of my life in spreadsheets. I hope I never have to do without them, it's the single most useful thing I've ever found to do with a computer.

British (BBC/Britbox)
Downton Abbey
Red Dwarf
The Watch
Sherlock
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

HBO:
Raised by Wolves (back 2/3)
WestWorld
GoT (which as we all know was great until it wasn't.)
Succession
Gentleman Jack
Lovecraft Country
David Byrne's American Utopia
Hannah Gadsby's stand up special, "Douglas"

STARZ: (We're probably going to cancel STARZ after I watch the next season of Outlander.)
Outlander (though there is an element I sure wish they could tone down...I know it was like that in the books but it's just so damned rapey. Back on 3/6.)
American Gods (I loved it and was so mad it got cancelled.)

Amazon Prime:
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (back 2/18)
Carnival Row
The Boys
Good Omens
Fleabag
Father Ted

Hulu (and FX on Hulu):
The Orville (back 3/10)
Rick & Morty
The Great
What We Do In The Shadows
Harlots

Netflix:
Sex Education
Stranger Things
The Witcher
The Nevers
Sweet Tooth
The Magicians (warning, it starts out cute but gets very dark and graphic by the end of S1. You will love and hate everybody by the time it's over.)
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (I was very mad they cancelled it right when it was getting interesting...they'd put so much work into building all of those sets and puppets ffs...)
The Queen's Gambit (WE LOVED THIS.)
Lucifer

Disney+
The Mandalorian
Book of Boba Fett
LOKI
Soul (movie)
Encanto (movie)

We have Paramount+, Apple TV+ and AMC+ because they had promos and I got a year of it pretty cheap, but so far we've watched Picard on Paramount+ but have not felt motivated to deep dive into all the Trek stuff there, Apple TV+ was a huge disappointment because I wanted to watch Jon Stewart's new show and it barely got off the ground and vanished into thin air with no explanation (there are 4 episodes and no word on a 5th anywhere I can see.) And AMC+ has the BBC stuff like The Watch and The Graham Norton Show, but I'm not sure if we'll renew it for that.

I tend to try and get year long promotional pricing on my TV channels. We don't do cable, we've got Rokus so it's all streaming subscriptions. It's cut our costs on TV entertainment a lot....and I don't pay for bundles that include channels I don't want or even flatly refuse to support with money.

Tiger King is a weird one. Watching Season One in the middle of 2020 felt completely appropriate. The world had gone mad, so...fine. Now I'm tired, like everyone else I'm just burned out on pandemic times and I want to get on with life. Doesn't mean I'm jumping into big crowds or anything, but the moment has passed for that show. I watched the first episode of Season Two and then I was like "Nope. I just can't. Don't wanna."

Old 01-23-2022, 09:47 AM

Oh. And then there are DVD sets we've watched...that may or may not be available streaming somewhere.
Battlestar Galactica
Farscape
The Riches
Northern Exposure
Flambards

(My husband arrived in my life with a massive DVD collection. So this is his doing.)

Old 01-23-2022, 09:48 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
You left out WandaVision.

Try Brockmire on Hulu if you have it. Never thought I would like the subject matter, but it has brilliant dialogue. Not for the easily offended or politically correct.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-23-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You left out WandaVision.

Try Brockmire on Hulu if you have it. Never thought I would like the subject matter, but it has brilliant dialogue. Not for the easily offended or politically correct.
I have not yet seen WandaVision. I had friends who were raving about it, but I'm honestly not that into Marvel stuff. I gave Loki a chance and ended up liking it, though, so maybe... I'm just personally very "meh" on the Marvel Universe/Multiverse in general.

At this point, if I'm watching a Superheroes themed thing, I'd rather be watching The Boys. Though I'll warn anyone it's the most gratuitous "I feel like a horrible person for how hard I laughed at that" thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

I'll check out Brockmire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships