Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2022, 11:23 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times

Advertisements

SO glad that the news was good regarding your husband SS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 02:10 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
I wish city-data or other forums had an official "singles" forum....and not even for singles looking to date or get out there. Just a forum for people who are single for "unconventional/atypical" reasons. Idk I think creating some separation between this forum and that forum would make it easier to stay on topic about certain things and to find like minded people. Idk I'm just thinking out loud...maybe I'll start one....hmmm

Old 01-04-2022, 02:17 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I wish city-data or other forums had an official "singles" forum....and not even for singles looking to date or get out there. Just a forum for people who are single for "unconventional/atypical" reasons. Idk I think creating some separation between this forum and that forum would make it easier to stay on topic about certain things and to find like minded people. Idk I'm just thinking out loud...maybe I'll start one....hmmm
I'd vote for that...

Old 01-04-2022, 02:30 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post

Then that would have nothing to do with romantic relationships, if I am reading that right?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-04-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then that would have nothing to do with romantic relationships, if I am reading that right?
Yeah sort of??? A place for people who are celibate, taking an indefinite break from dating, widowers/divorcees who don't want to be in anymore relationships again, on the aromantic/asexual spectrum, people who just don't prioritize romance in life because they just aren't interested, etc. I think some separation would be good for a few reasons:

There wouldn't be any weird overlap in the threads.
Hopefully less derailment
Opens up the door for new conversations/discussions
People who want relationships could come to forums like this one for support, advice, insight, relationship discussion etc.
People who want to stay single could go to their forum for the same thing.
Etc.

There are just certain things singles can't really talk about here without being seen as weird or just out of place in the relationship forum. The Non-romantic relationship forum is nice but that's more about friendships and family relationships.

Last edited by Auraliea; 01-04-2022 at 04:03 PM..

Old 01-04-2022, 03:27 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
I think creating an aromatic/asexual singles-by-choice subforum would be a great idea!

Old 01-05-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
I'd vote for that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think creating an aromatic/asexual singles-by-choice subforum would be a great idea!
Wooooo! Thanks for the support!

Old 01-07-2022, 07:12 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
At long last, we have our first real snowfall here in Pittsburgh! *does happy dance*

Sonic: in terms of folks knowing when it's time to go, it sounds as if your father-in-law is in that place. There's a sense of peace that comes with that knowledge even if the end is not nigh. I'm so glad that you and your husband made the decision to move near him as having family who loves him relatively close at hand has to be one of the pleasures of your FIL's life. As daughters-in-law go, you're definitely a "keeper."

If he is ill with something terminal or even if he's not, I agree with you in that for people who are ready to go shouldn't be forced to go through a barrage of tests and treatments and should just be made as comfortable as possible to ensure a decent quality of life.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 01-07-2022 at 07:20 AM..

Old 01-07-2022, 09:27 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
At long last, we have our first real snowfall here in Pittsburgh! *does happy dance*

Sonic: in terms of folks knowing when it's time to go, it sounds as if your father-in-law is in that place. There's a sense of peace that comes with that knowledge even if the end is not nigh. I'm so glad that you and your husband made the decision to move near him as having family who loves him relatively close at hand has to be one of the pleasures of your FIL's life. As daughters-in-law go, you're definitely a "keeper."

If he is ill with something terminal or even if he's not, I agree with you in that for people who are ready to go shouldn't be forced to go through a barrage of tests and treatments and should just be made as comfortable as possible to ensure a decent quality of life.
Thank you.

It was very important to me, to build trust with him after we got here. I have, to use language that might be a little too woke-speak, "held space" for his dignity and respect with others at times. My husband would get frustrated about some things, and I would remind him how challenging and frustrating life must be for his Dad, and encourage him to be patient. I wanted him to understand that we only want to help as much as he truly needs and/or wants us to do, to improve his quality of life....we are not swooping in to take over, or shove him into a home and sell all his stuff or steal his money or worse, his autonomy or his dignity.

When I hear some people, like a relative of mine who has cared for a number of elders in the family in their end-of-life years, say that you need to treat them like children...it really makes me angry. I mean, sure, their minds are not what they once were. And fair, I do mitigate my use of profanity around him! But I refuse to act like an overbearing dictator or a parent to a person who has lived a long, full life and accomplished much and deserves respect.

But you know what I'm realizing he might just appreciate the most? Hugs. I make sure to give him a long hug at the end of every visit now. He's a stoic sort of man, but I think that life since his wife died has been very lonely for him. I'm glad we made it down here, too.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:12 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Thank you.

It was very important to me, to build trust with him after we got here. I have, to use language that might be a little too woke-speak, "held space" for his dignity and respect with others at times. My husband would get frustrated about some things, and I would remind him how challenging and frustrating life must be for his Dad, and encourage him to be patient. I wanted him to understand that we only want to help as much as he truly needs and/or wants us to do, to improve his quality of life....we are not swooping in to take over, or shove him into a home and sell all his stuff or steal his money or worse, his autonomy or his dignity.

When I hear some people, like a relative of mine who has cared for a number of elders in the family in their end-of-life years, say that you need to treat them like children...it really makes me angry. I mean, sure, their minds are not what they once were. And fair, I do mitigate my use of profanity around him! But I refuse to act like an overbearing dictator or a parent to a person who has lived a long, full life and accomplished much and deserves respect.

But you know what I'm realizing he might just appreciate the most? Hugs. I make sure to give him a long hug at the end of every visit now. He's a stoic sort of man, but I think that life since his wife died has been very lonely for him. I'm glad we made it down here, too.
It's hard to understand why some people insist on treating the senior members of our society like small children. Like you, I was partially raised by active, engaged (and engaging) older folks albeit under much different circumstances than yours. I also worked in a nursing home when I was in my teens and very early twenties. Both of those experiences shaped much of my thoughts, feelings, and actions towards not just older people, but towards humanity in general. Whether I'm on a job site (I'm in people's homes for work) or just out and about, I always am sure to smile and engage with older people with whom I'm crossing paths (if they're open to it and they usually are). Being treated as though one is not only a child, but at the same time relatively invisible has to be utter misery at times.

Regarding hugs: you're right. With few exceptions, it's been my experience that touch, while important to people in general, is especially important to people as they age. I remember the residents at the nursing home just wanting to hold my hands and loving it when I'd gently touch their back or give them a hug, my late maternal grandfather wanting to hug often when we'd see each other, and even older people in my current multigenerational neighborhood wanting to touch your hands (pre-COVID anyway )

Something interesting that my mother says often is that the thing that she misses most about my late father is simple, everyday touch. A hug, a back scratch, snuggling on the couch while they rubbed one another's feet. Sometimes, she says that she feels starved for touch, so whenever we see one another, I try to "bank" as much touch as I can with her. It's not a replacement for my dad, but it helps, I think. No doubt, your father-in-law feels much the same way about missing his late wife and how your hugs help to fill his emotional cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships