Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2022, 08:19 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times

Advertisements

This is the first morning back at my house this year. Not going to lie--waking up to the sound of my neighbor's rooster (and continuing to hear him crow intermittently throughout the day) is something that I've missed these past few days.

It just goes to show that you can take a country girl out of the country and make her a city girl, but the country part never totally washes out and is always to be found just beneath the city veneer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 09:16 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnitjanet View Post
I don't want society to collapse either, but I think the mgtow philiosophy isn't really about preventing social collapse as much as guys rationalizing their own lack of success with women.
I think so too but there could be a few reasons.

The misogyny was shocking to me, just reading some posts people make under MGTOW videos. Some seem to assume the very worst of women, that we are all dumb, vapid, golddigging narcissistic psychopaths, that just take and take from men and give nothing in return. And they think they are punishing us by refusing to commit or marry.

The only good women as they see it are Stepford wife types that cook, clean, have babies, submit to everything her husband wants, and has no opinions, thoughts, or feelings that inconvenience her husband. They pretty much want a relationship with a bot, not with an actual person.

It reminds me of my one ex. He pretty much wanted that too and had very strong entitlement issues, he thought his commitment was enough and thats all he had to give and in exchange he should have the perfrct wife. Rrality just doesn't operate that way.

Tit would be a deep psychological dive to analyze why he was lije that. Its both sad and shocking that a segment of society exists that thinks this way. It makes me more sad fpr the future of the younger generations no. But maybe this is a small bocal minority and doesn't represent a growing trend. I sure hope not.

Typos are because my phone.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:52 AM

415 posts, read 546,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Tit would be a deep psychological dive to analyze why he was lije that. Its both sad and shocking that a segment of society exists that thinks this way. It makes me more sad fpr the future of the younger generations no. But maybe this is a small bocal minority and doesn't represent a growing trend. I sure hope not.
I don't think this is a growing trend, what has changed is that internet allowed these guys to find each other online and create a subculture.

I see that as both good and bad. Its good in that a lot of these guys were feeling isolated and alone, but I think its bad in that these guys aren't actually addressing the underlying reasons they aren't having success finding relationships. I see the toxicity as more of a sign that what they are doing just isn't working.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnitjanet View Post
I don't think this is a growing trend, what has changed is that internet allowed these guys to find each other online and create a subculture.

I see that as both good and bad. Its good in that a lot of these guys were feeling isolated and alone, but I think its bad in that these guys aren't actually addressing the underlying reasons they aren't having success finding relationships. I see the toxicity as more of a sign that what they are doing just isn't working.
This is probably true for some but I think there is a segment that do have some success with women, but are greedy about it. Its not good enough for them if those women have had prior relationships, or challenge them in any way, or have delf agency. They want total control and feel that cant have it unless it with a 100% submissive Stepford wife. And that kind of woman probably doesn't exist in human form. Maybe robot form.

They are basically throwing a tantrum like a child who got a new toy but the toy isnt shiny enough or big enough or brtter. They have an unrealistic standard that can mever be met in reality. Maybe in pron or fantasy only.

Then there are probably some who just cant get a girlfriend so the MGTOW thing is more like dour grapes.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:16 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I think so too but there could be a few reasons.

The misogyny was shocking to me, just reading some posts people make under MGTOW videos. Some seem to assume the very worst of women, that we are all dumb, vapid, golddigging narcissistic psychopaths, that just take and take from men and give nothing in return. And they think they are punishing us by refusing to commit or marry.

The only good women as they see it are Stepford wife types that cook, clean, have babies, submit to everything her husband wants, and has no opinions, thoughts, or feelings that inconvenience her husband. They pretty much want a relationship with a bot, not with an actual person.

It reminds me of my one ex. He pretty much wanted that too and had very strong entitlement issues, he thought his commitment was enough and thats all he had to give and in exchange he should have the perfrct wife. Rrality just doesn't operate that way.

Typos are because my phone.
I think that people often don't understand properly that America freed its black slaves only 150ish years ago. And that even after that, getting them rights, getting it so that it was a social taboo to denigrate them openly or openly treat them as less than human? Yeah that's well within living memory. It is not ancient history.

Why do I bring up such a thing?

Black men got the right to vote earlier than women of any color did.

And although I think that a white woman is, today, less oppressed usually than a black man will often be, in terms of what systemic obstacles exist to prevent upward mobility and successful outcomes... We are talking about big social power systems where white men in America thought that they were the only PEOPLE...full people...for HUNDREDS OF YEARS. For far longer than it has been otherwise.

If you go and read things that were written in the 1800s you will find people who not only believed that freeing the slaves would unravel the very fabric of American society, but that the slaves were better off in servitude and were just too dumb to know how good they had it. That it would be doing THEM a grievous harm to subject them to the stresses and responsibilities that came with freedom. That they were not naturally equal and should not be unfairly put in that position. The Vice President of the Confederacy made a big ol' speech about it and called human enslavement the "cornerstone" of the whole secession movement. Don't let the "Lost Cause" folks lie to you. There was only one "State's right" that they cared about.

Freedom DOES come with responsibility, because the very nature of freedom means choices that you can and therefore must make, about your own life. No one forcing you to adhere to a specified role that you have no say in.

So we freed the slaves. Some want us to believe that was that, and everything that has happened since then only proves the inferiority of black people. That they are lazy, unintelligent, and inclined to criminal behavior, since they didn't take that freedom we so graciously gave them and get on equal outcome footing with white folks in general in the 158 years since. Oh, sure, we don't SAY these things openly. But let's be real, who was Reagan talking about when he said, "Welfare Queen?" Huh? There has been a very determined effort to seed drugs and violence into black communities, to destroy them if they prosper (Tulsa) to break up their families and to imprison and brutalize them. Has there been progress? Yes. Are we past racism as a nation? Hell no.

Now if we still have some kind of element in this country in this day and age in 2022 that finds white male rage and frustrated entitlement useful, that cups its hands around it and nurtures its flame...so that enough white voters will believe that prisons full of our black neighbors are just because hey...they are like that, so they are getting what they deserve...so that when black Americans and their allies exercise their Constitutional right to gather and address the government with a protest, every white person sitting at home will tut-tut about the burning Target without even asking who set it on fire.... But be fine with white people carrying rifles around in the streets as though stealing sneakers is a worse crime than killing a person....

OF COURSE we are going to have a similarly flavored kind of grievance when it comes to women. OF COURSE WE ARE. How would we not??? And it's backed up by the additional pressures of compartmentalizing society into nuclear households, training males that they cannot receive affection or emotional care from anybody but a wife, sexual repression (not so much from the "Puritans" as more recently the Victorian mindset)... Oh great, we get to shovel on accusations of sexual degeneracy to women wanting to be free to make choices with our lives and be seen as actual whole human beings. Fantastic, why not.

See the bottom line of this screed here...

Anyone who believes that their happiness would be greater if only a whole category of other people were LESS FREE and properly put in their place as less than full human beings, anyone who sits there and laments that the world does not revolve around what they feel they deserve and aren't getting...who has the sheer NERVE to see others being empowered and the loss of what they used to USE them for, as "the unraveling of society"... Who will act as though silly stupid child brained others should have been happy with their "place" as a commodity for the use and disposition of white men... Or for them, whoever they are...

Well they are telling you something. But it should be taken as something about them, more than something about you. I mean...are you for or against freedom? There are people using that word...but I do not think it means, what they think it means. Freedom of some to take it away from others, isn't freedom at all.

And what horrifies me? These are battles that I really grew up taking for granted that we'd already won and settled. To see this stuff blazing up in younger generations is shocking. To realize that not only did it never go away, but that there are people powerful enough to fan the flames and reignite these battles in the open? All while denying that this is EXACTLY what they are exploiting, these same divisions from the last couple of centuries...

You know, at this point all I can say is that if anyone is destroying "society"... Sure seems to me, it's those who want to re-fight a bunch of battles just because they lost the first time around.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:41 AM

@Sonic I agree with so much you said!

There is definitely a parallel between racism and sexism/misogyny.

I used to work in a largely black area as part of the government that went around checking up on families and saw first hand the racism institutionalized. I saw it play out before my eyes! Before that I also naively thought racism pretty much was over, bit no, no way, not even close!

I also heard about how drugs wete planted in minority neighborhoos and that welfare even helped destroy families because you dont qualify for it if you are in an intact family with both parents married. Why the heck not?

With sexism yes it also exists but I think when we grow up and live every day with something, we stop noticing it. Its just the way things are. It doesn't stand out as unusual.

But when I saw so much of it blasted in one place, it sunk in. I wonder how many people have these ideas but at a more subconscious level. People of both genders.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:22 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Happy New Year, all! I hope everyone had a great time NYE, I know I had a blast - even drank some fancy champagne, it tasted divine after what was pretty much an entirely "dry" year.

I hope everyone's making good progress on their resolutions (for those who have them). 2021 was about the shi**iest year I can remember, but one positive is that despite the pandemic, I was able to knock off a good chunk of my debt. My resolution is to be debt free by 2023. Yes, it rhymes.

Wishing everyone health and happiness for the new year

Old 01-03-2022, 01:17 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Happy New Year, all! I hope everyone had a great time NYE, I know I had a blast - even drank some fancy champagne, it tasted divine after what was pretty much an entirely "dry" year.

I hope everyone's making good progress on their resolutions (for those who have them). 2021 was about the shi**iest year I can remember, but one positive is that despite the pandemic, I was able to knock off a good chunk of my debt. My resolution is to be debt free by 2023. Yes, it rhymes.

Wishing everyone health and happiness for the new year
Good job on the debt thing. We've been basically debt free for a long time now, aside from the mortgage and a car payment. I have a small balance on one of my cards but I could pay it off with savings if I wanted to, just try to hit it each time I get paid.

The feeling of having a modest rainy day fund and no or little credit card debt far outweighs the pleasure of buying "stuff", at least to me anyway.

Watched a hoarded type of show and it showed a woman with dozens of dresses and clothes in her closets that still had on the price tags, never worn. Another guy racked up HUGE amount of debt buying various types of shoes.

Those are out there examples, but you get the drift.

I don't do resolutions anymore.

Anyways, wishing you good luck and success on the debt front.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:00 PM

I just have to fangirl over Matt Taibbi. Omfg Im crushing do dangggg hard. Soo dang hard.

My partner looks a lot like him. But I don't know yet if he's as smart or as cool as Matt. He's kind of handsome like him though. And yes I am kind of a lucky giri.

S though. Matt Taibbi......oh my goodness. I just want to praise god men like this exist!

Old 01-04-2022, 06:21 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Woke up this morning and saw the news that people in Virginia on I-95 have been stuck there since nightfall and counting due to the snow. I can co-sign the state has a long history of poorly handling snowfall in its Eastern half as far as the roads. I’ve been very clear with my mother I have no desire to move back to Virginia and situations like that are exactly why.

I had to spend yesterday morning working from a library in Charlotte because my power went out due to high winds. It looks like everyone got caught with their pants down with yesterday’s weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships