Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2022, 02:37 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Worst day ever.
I'm sorry, Chow. I hope everything is all right with family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 01:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
/hugs Chow, I hope that it was just one very bad day and that things get better, whatever you are dealing with.

EDIT to the below, they caught the guy and everyone is safe and OK.

I just saw a post by a friend on Facebook that his daughter's school is in lockdown in Tacoma, WA because there is a shooter on the grounds. He was on the way to take her to school when they got the alert, turned around and went home. This school has multiple buildings in a forested setting, and while they notified parents to keep kids away and are locking other kids in classrooms, most students were on their way to class. Many are now hiding in bushes, hoping not to be hit, the daughter is texting back and forth with a few who are presently doing this.

I cannot even imagine being a parent going through this kind of anxiety. I mean, my kids finished school just a few years ago, technically within the realm of America's "school shooting crisis" yet we got lucky and were not impacted by any incident. It is difficult and scary enough to be a parent, for so many reasons, without this kind of thing on top of it.
On the same day the Uvalde shooting happened, there was a massive fight right across the street from my old HS in Northern Virginia (SS I’m sure you are familiar with the particular one from memory). 30-50 kids involved, one got stabbed to death. At the school itself, there are no less than 4 uniformed city cops there on any school day. Just scary to think that someone could be in danger trying to handle their business in the classroom. Even as a reformed degenerate myself, we had a code of honor that forbade harming others that didn’t engage with us. Now there is no honor, just a race to harm people for the hell of it.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:28 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
On the same day the Uvalde shooting happened, there was a massive fight right across the street from my old HS in Northern Virginia (SS I’m sure you are familiar with the particular one from memory). 30-50 kids involved, one got stabbed to death. At the school itself, there are no less than 4 uniformed city cops there on any school day. Just scary to think that someone could be in danger trying to handle their business in the classroom. Even as a reformed degenerate myself, we had a code of honor that forbade harming others that didn’t engage with us. Now there is no honor, just a race to harm people for the hell of it.
There was an incident over the weekend where a baby was killed in a drive-by in broad daylight in downtown Pittsburgh. People are getting really aggressive for no reason.

Old 06-01-2022, 02:57 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Quote:
Now that I’m 61, I can say, “Back in my day (lol)” . . . if someone wanted to commit suicide, they just did it. They didn’t take innocent people with them.

I thought that I was a bit of a tough ol’ girl, but I can’t even watch the news. The kids in Uvalde are my grandson’s age. I can’t even fathom life without him.

And if I felt the least bit responsible for what happened In Uvalde (or wouldn’t take responsibility like the staff in Oxford), I wouldn’t/couldn’t live with myself. I would end it right there.

Very little gray in my life.

Old 06-01-2022, 04:00 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Now you got me wondering which school it was. But I can tell you that I can imagine this happening at one of the high schools I went to (and the one I was enrolled in the longest of the 4 different high schools I went to)... Gar-Field. And yeah we were some degenerates for sure back then, but the worst anybody worried about back then was getting "jumped", but most of those incidents still did not end in hospitalization. Not something anyone wanted to endure, certainly, but NOTHING like how things go down now. And it was pretty rare, still.

Like I would have been the last to consider home schooling my kids, that used to be something the religious nuts did, but not anymore man. I'm just glad every day that mine are grown.

I've got friends who are having babies right now, too and I just can't even imagine. At least in the US. Be a little different in the French countryside probably!

I'm uh...starting to get worried over here, Chow. You ok?

Old 06-01-2022, 04:18 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
LOL, it's funny, my post was meant to be sarcastic.

I tried to attach a pic and messed up somehow and CD has been down for us off and on. I was going to go back and edit my post when it was online.

This weekend we were have a nice lunch over looking the marina and there happened to be a big seal swimming in the marina.

Here was the view from our table.
Attached Thumbnails
CDR Chat Thread #31-20220529_154622.jpg  

Old 06-01-2022, 04:27 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:

I tried to attach a pic and messed up somehow and CD has been down for us off and on. I was going to go back and edit my post when it was online.

This weekend we were have a nice lunch over looking the marina and there happened to be a big seal swimming in the marina.

Glad to hear that it wasn’t serious… especially with all the insanity going on that seems to be everywhere, every day. Looks like a nice day in LB.

Old 06-01-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Thank goodness. Thanks for the update, that is a cool picture!

Old 06-01-2022, 07:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Now you got me wondering which school it was. But I can tell you that I can imagine this happening at one of the high schools I went to (and the one I was enrolled in the longest of the 4 different high schools I went to)... Gar-Field. And yeah we were some degenerates for sure back then, but the worst anybody worried about back then was getting "jumped", but most of those incidents still did not end in hospitalization. Not something anyone wanted to endure, certainly, but NOTHING like how things go down now. And it was pretty rare, still.

Like I would have been the last to consider home schooling my kids, that used to be something the religious nuts did, but not anymore man. I'm just glad every day that mine are grown.

I've got friends who are having babies right now, too and I just can't even imagine. At least in the US. Be a little different in the French countryside probably!

I'm uh...starting to get worried over here, Chow. You ok?
If you want to think of that HS just Remember the Titans.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
If you want to think of that HS just Remember the Titans.
Aaaah, ok. You were a little further up than I was.

Speaking of which, is life treating you any better now you've gotten away from DC? I always thought it was a stressful place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships