Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2022, 04:24 PM

52,246 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I have been on a swimmming kick at the gym. In the past I had problems with swimmer's ear and someone recommended, getting silicon ear putty. It works really well for keeping water out of my ears, but it also works really well for blocking out noise. It is surprisingly comfortable and has the consistency of silly putty. You roll it up in a ball and then stick it in your ears. You should be able to find it in a sporting goods store. I bought my silicon putty at Big 5 for less than 4 dollars.
Yeah, I usually sleep with earplugs in my ears, I suppose I could use those. One side of our small street is our condo's and the other side is several duplexes.

Between both sides of the street we're just inundated with leaf blowers and other lawn care devices, noisy devices I might say.

First world problems I suppose. I do a lot of Zoom meetings and have to keep myself muted all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 08:17 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
Yesterday, it was a barking dog in my neighborhood. I don’t understand people who can’t bring their dog in when it starts barking. Had a co-worker who told me once that dogs are meant to bark, that’s it their way of communicating. Yep, well it’s telling YOU it wants to go back in.

And today I’m concerned about how many times a day I come across folks that can’t seem to think things through or don’t have common sense anymore. WHERE did that go? It won't be long and I'm going to get out my grandson’s crayons to start drawing pictures for people.

I sure hope that when I'm in a nursing home, they give me a nurse that can follow directions. Or one that can't so that it ends quickly. LMAO

Old 06-21-2022, 10:51 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
I am the same with barking dogs, although I get mad when dogs are left outside in bad weather! Why get a pet if you are just going to keep it outside ALL day long?

My pets are spoiled though, I will admit that.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:14 AM

Some strange weather, "woke up to the sounds of thunder, how far off I thought and wondered." Stealing some of those Seger lyrics.

Been hot the last few days but this early morning the thunder was so loud it felt like it shook the house. Car alarms all over the place were going off. The room was filled with lighting flashes.

Right now another loud as hell clap of thunder.

Strange, I don't ever really recall this kind of weather this late in June.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:17 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Some strange weather, "woke up to the sounds of thunder, how far off I thought and wondered." Stealing some of those Seger lyrics.

Been hot the last few days but this early morning the thunder was so loud it felt like it shook the house. Car alarms all over the place were going off. The room was filled with lighting flashes.

Right now another loud as hell clap of thunder.

Strange, I don't ever really recall this kind of weather this late in June.
We are supposed to get thunderstorms in a few days, but that is normal for this time of year. I always feel conflicted, love me some thunderstorms, do not love them when the state is flammable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-22-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We are supposed to get thunderstorms in a few days, but that is normal for this time of year. I always feel conflicted, love me some thunderstorms, do not love them when the state is flammable.
Yeah, if you're in AZ it's normal, Monsoon season I believe is what they call it.

I remember being a kid visiting in the Phoenix area and right in the middle of the day in summer a storm would come in rain like hell and then be gone about as fast as it came in.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:24 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Yeah I'm still trying to get used to Phoenix weather and this will be my first full summer here. We had hot, hot, hot (though probably not as hot as it actually gets) and what was bugging me was that I expected the most heat when the sun was up. Yet oddly I would go out on my patio after dark, expecting it to be maybe a little cooler, but NO, it actually felt worse! What? How is it hotter with the sun fully down? Ugh.

Then the other day we had an afternoon that was cloudy for a change and boy what a difference that made! I guess we got a few raindrops, I only know because my car had spots on it...but when I went outside it was humid but cooler. It felt nice. And there is that smell here, I guess it's the creosote bushes, when the humidity is up or when it rains.

Actually one of my first observations in initial visits and upon moving here is that it smells odd. Like if I spend some time away, and I am driving back, I'll be on AZ 87 coming down in elevation from where it's all evergreen trees up higher, and at the point where it transitions to lower elevation and desert and I start to see the saguaros, I can smell this particular scent. It's like a lemony-peppery-herbal smell. It's not bad, but I've never been anywhere that smelled like that. And I try to describe it to other people and they have no idea what I'm talking about! lol

Old 06-22-2022, 10:27 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Yeah, if you're in AZ it's normal, Monsoon season I believe is what they call it.

I remember being a kid visiting in the Phoenix area and right in the middle of the day in summer a storm would come in rain like hell and then be gone about as fast as it came in.
Going to Phoenix FOR monsoons is on my travel list. I think it would be a great photographic opportunity.

My dog would hate it though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-22-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Going to Phoenix FOR monsoons is on my travel list. I think it would be a great photographic opportunity.

My dog would hate it though.
There is a nice resort in Phoenix area we were going to try and visit before the weather got too hot. We're right in the middle of selling Mrs. Chow's moms house so we just figured we'd put off that trip till later. Escrow closes in late July and I don't know if I want to go there in July or August.

I keep want to move there in a few years to try and get away from the crowding here in So Cal, but I don't know, the older I'm getting the heat and penetrating sun feels like it might be too much.

I know the Phoenix metro is 4 or 5 million I think, and it's sizeable, but if you spend anytime here in So Cal, which has about twice as many and them some people, those 5 million might feel more manageable, to me at least.

Crowds are really getting to me as I get older. I guess I'll have to take the neurosis along with the wisdom as I age.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:03 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
There is a nice resort in Phoenix area we were going to try and visit before the weather got too hot. We're right in the middle of selling Mrs. Chow's moms house so we just figured we'd put off that trip till later. Escrow closes in late July and I don't know if I want to go there in July or August.

I keep want to move there in a few years to try and get away from the crowding here in So Cal, but I don't know, the older I'm getting the heat and penetrating sun feels like it might be too much.

I know the Phoenix metro is 4 or 5 million I think, and it's sizeable, but if you spend anytime here in So Cal, which has about twice as many and them some people, those 5 million might feel more manageable, to me at least.

Crowds are really getting to me as I get older. I guess I'll have to take the neurosis along with the wisdom as I age.
Are you trying to avoid places where it snows?

It's really pretty in some of the higher elevation smaller cities in AZ. Flagstaff and such. And then in the other direction, there's Tuscon, and I hear they actually have slightly cooler temps than Phoenix does.

I dunno. I don't hate it here. Don't quite love it, either. It's OK. I just limit how much I'm outside when it's hot.

Another thing that surprised me is the bugs. Apparently this is one of the most "buggy" places in the country. I didn't realize that. Colorado has far less bug-life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships