Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2022, 04:35 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times

Advertisements

Folks where I work don’t realize that cubicles aren’t soundproof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 04:39 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We are having a new employee join our team this week. My co-worker likes to drone on and on about politics, to the point of not getting the hint when I try to change the subject. I've ranted about him a few times on this forum. He happens to be a far far left type. I'm not, I'm left on some subjects and more right on others. I tend to be more center based in general.

So I'm hoping that this new person is a right winger that likes to talk politics. LOL. Give my co-worker a taste of him own medicine.

If I had my way, politics would never be discussed at work, but whatever.
During the 2016 election, we had a big meeting where we were all told, "no discussion of politics at work."

I really think that it was the right call.

Old 06-27-2022, 05:09 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times
Growing up, I was always told that religion, politics and finances were not “polite conversation”, because at some point someone’s feathers get ruffled.

Old 06-27-2022, 05:55 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Growing up, I was always told that religion, politics and finances were not “polite conversation”, because at some point someone’s feathers get ruffled.
Yep, way it was for me too. My coworker has a shocking lack of self-awareness in some matters.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:15 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
It's not. It's so weird, I've had strangers in line at the DMV start spouting politics to me , one of my neighbors is incapable of not bringing up politics, even with the "can you bring our can in, we'll be gone" moments, and flags abound, even when it's not an election cycle.

I find the whole thing so very odd.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2022, 10:18 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Thank you, mlj. Hope things are going a little better for you at this point.

That's so sad. I'm really sorry to hear that.

By the way, and we've already mentioned this a few times on the forum, if we're ever in a "conversation" with someone here and it seems like we might be ignoring you, we're having problems with our ISP and often can't sign in, sometimes for days in a row. We're doing a little "cheat" here right now so I can answer you, mlj. Then I'll be signed out again. Anyway, just so you know...
Thanks!

And all good, no explanation needed. You are always so kind and encouraging!

Old 06-27-2022, 10:21 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's not. It's so weird, I've had strangers in line at the DMV start spouting politics to me , one of my neighbors is incapable of not bringing up politics, even with the "can you bring our can in, we'll be gone" moments, and flags abound, even when it's not an election cycle.

I find the whole thing so very odd.

I got a 2nd job at a retail store and work a couple nights a week. I can't believe the customers that come in and start spouting off about politics, religion, telling awful jokes, and just being all around D-bags. It is just irritating.

I just smile, ring up their stuff, and tell them off in my head.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
I got a 2nd job at a retail store and work a couple nights a week. I can't believe the customers that come in and start spouting off about politics, religion, telling awful jokes, and just being all around D-bags. It is just irritating.

I just smile, ring up their stuff, and tell them off in my head.
Yeah, working with the general public is rough sometimes. You get weirdos of all sorts. Back when I was going to college I worked at a now defunct hardware store chain and man, lots of crazy people coming in. I remember one old guy used to come in every weekend, he was nice and polite and I often wondered if he was just coming into the store to be around people as he was a widower

I had a whole back story on this old guy's life, LOL. I may have been completely wrong and he had a wife at home and he was just coming in to get supplies to do work around the house.

Old 06-28-2022, 03:58 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We are having a new employee join our team this week. My co-worker likes to drone on and on about politics, to the point of not getting the hint when I try to change the subject. I've ranted about him a few times on this forum. He happens to be a far far left type. I'm not, I'm left on some subjects and more right on others. I tend to be more center based in general.

So I'm hoping that this new person is a right winger that likes to talk politics. LOL. Give my co-worker a taste of him own medicine.

If I had my way, politics would never be discussed at work, but whatever.
As someone who holds some pretty polarizing views, I’m very tight lipped about sharing them at work. When I was in DC, I let some of them slip out (not necessarily politics but some of my family planning views) in a couple of places where I actually didn’t receive so much backlash. However, out of three different places of work two were inside the Capital Beltway and one was outside the capital beltway. This is significant due to demographics.

1. Banking job, conservative industry but the employee pool was mostly inner beltway and working class. So I was more on the same general page politically. However, one of the best friends I ever made from that job was more moderate than anything so that was not bad at all.
2. Banking job. Conservative industry. Outside the beltway and employee pool draws from more red parts of Virginia. So I wasn’t that comfortable there. Once the day was over, I ran (well crawled back slowly on I-66) back to my inner beltway home. How I made it almost 4 years there is a mystery I’ll be buried wondering.
3. HR job. Inside the beltway. Working class industry so I felt mostly comfortable being from a military upbringing and mostly similar politically.

However, I have to be intentful in playing poker. Keep my political cards close to my eyes and don’t put them on the table.

Old 06-28-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As someone who holds some pretty polarizing views, I’m very tight lipped about sharing them at work. When I was in DC, I let some of them slip out (not necessarily politics but some of my family planning views) in a couple of places where I actually didn’t receive so much backlash. However, out of three different places of work two were inside the Capital Beltway and one was outside the capital beltway. This is significant due to demographics.

1. Banking job, conservative industry but the employee pool was mostly inner beltway and working class. So I was more on the same general page politically. However, one of the best friends I ever made from that job was more moderate than anything so that was not bad at all.
2. Banking job. Conservative industry. Outside the beltway and employee pool draws from more red parts of Virginia. So I wasn’t that comfortable there. Once the day was over, I ran (well crawled back slowly on I-66) back to my inner beltway home. How I made it almost 4 years there is a mystery I’ll be buried wondering.
3. HR job. Inside the beltway. Working class industry so I felt mostly comfortable being from a military upbringing and mostly similar politically.

However, I have to be intentful in playing poker. Keep my political cards close to my eyes and don’t put them on the table.
It's probably best to avoid politics and other sensitive subjects in general in the work place.

That's why it was so annoying with my coworker. It create tension, or at least the possibility of that. "Water Cooler" talk should be light and brief, talk about the picnic this weekend and other banal subjects.

My humble opinion anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships