Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2021, 10:32 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times

Advertisements

Good luck to everyone who needs it!

I feel very fortunate that my parents, who are in their 80s, are still in good health and of sound minds. They've also done the paperwork for their end of life care, so every time I talk to my mother she tells me where the key to the safety deposit box is and who to call if something happens. At their age, I know it won't last, but at least I know that for now, they're okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 11:03 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Thanks for the well wishes, just rereading my post I realize I stepped on Sonic, wasn't my intention, just reading what she said and it's just something that people sometimes have to go through.

For some more crappy news, got my 2nd shot yesterday and today I'm sitting in my office trying to get some work done but I'm just a complete zombie. We turn in out time for the week on Thursday so I'm putting down hours for today and I can hardly get anything done on those projects. I swear, it seems like the bean counters really run the world.

I've opened the wrong two or three word Docs and PDF files multiple times today as I'm so foggy and sick feeling. Thinking I'm working one project and I realized I open another project, like that's not normal. LOL. I've staggered into the kitchen three times this morning and each time I have forgotten what the hell I went in for. I've had to edit this post four or five times already.

The first shot kicked my ass and this second one was worse, way worse.

I asked the nurse about it and she jus said everyone's different.

Last edited by Chowhound; 10-08-2021 at 12:11 PM..

Old 10-08-2021, 11:14 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Thanks for the well wishes, just rereading my post I realize I stepped on Sonic, wasn't my intention, just reading what she said and it's just something that people sometimes have to go through.

For some more crappy news, got my 2nd shot yesterday and today I'm sitting in my office trying to get some work done but I'm just a complete zombie. We turn in out time for the week on Thursday so I'm putting down hours for today and I can hardly get anything done on those projects. I swear, it seems like the bean counters really run the world.

I've opened the wrong two or three word Docs and PDF files multiple times today as I'm so foggy and sick feeling. Thinking I'm working one project and I realized I open another, project, like that's not normal. LOL. I've staggered into the kitchen three times this morning and each time I have forgotten what the hell I went in for. I've had to edit this post four or five times already.

The first shot kicked my ass and this second one was worse, way worse.

I asked the nurse about it and she jus said everyone's different.
No you didn't step on me, you're good, Chow!

I love that this space is here for us to just...share whatever we've got goin' on. The good, the bad, the ugly. Life.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. I think I got really lucky in my lack of any kind of intense reaction to the shots. But man, when my back was hurting the other day I had that brain fog going. Sometimes whether illness or pain, it's awful hard to focus and function through it.

I hope you feel better soon!

Old 10-08-2021, 01:41 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,159 times
"Let beer be for those who are perishing, wine for those who are in anguish!â€

Proverbs 31:6

Old 10-08-2021, 05:01 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
"Let beer be for those who are perishing, wine for those who are in anguish!â€

Proverbs 31:6
Besides me, who are the raspberry margaritas for? LOL. Yes, yes, I’ll share (most anything but a man). Ha!

Sonic: I love the story of your FIL and MIL’s relationship. Imagine if there was more of that! And your FIL is very lucky to have the DIL that he does.

When I was shredding papers and watching “Hoardersâ€, one of the hoarders was a man whose wife had MS or some such debilitating illness. His hoarding got worse and, of course, he couldn’t begin to get his stuff under control, because he was taking care of her. My heart broke for him. I was crying and shredding at the same time. Absolutely selfless. What a gift he is and what a Godsend.

Chow: IT’s good that people share their stories. Some of us can learn from your experience, and some of us can make a better plan for our old age from the posts. For people going through similar challenges, they might not feel so alone.

BTW, I had two little episodes of vertigo, and it’s beyond dizziness. It’s freakin scary.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:34 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
I'm cooking a family dinner for the three of us (me, husband, husband's dad) on Sunday. A thing we're gonna start doing.

I have decided to try and make a bison roast. I already had one in the freezer anyways. I'm ALL about the bison, but usually I do steaks. Well, I've got a crock pot and I know how to do roast meats in it. But I want to add like... plants. And this is a tricky business, because I don't eat plants much and I don't really know what I'm doing. I know that I can do onions (though I tend to get shallots because my chef friend said they were fancy? LOL?) and big pieces of carrot and some smallish potatoes. Got that. Figured out spicing, seasoning, gonna brown the roast first, got some wine sauce going on, alllrighty, I can work this. I'll toss some parsley and basil in towards the end for flavor and color. But like, can I do something with tomatoes? Or peppers? The idea of the color appeals to me, but I don't know what tomatoes or sweet peppers would be like in a roast, if that's an OK idea, and if so, should I roast or sautee them and toss 'em in at the end or what? /sigh.

I do not want to use a recipe. I hate recipes. I just want to muck about and make some (hopefully) awesome food. Which is usually how it works for me, most of my cooking experiments are successful. Once in a while they are not.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:18 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Dinner sounds delicious! Because I’m alone, I don’t bother with cooking (unless I throw a hot dog in boiling water).

I’m not a fan of tomato-based “gravyâ€/stock for a roast. But, then, I’m not a fan of wine-based either. I guess it’s because I grew up with Mom making roasts with beef stock only. I would put the peppers in towards the end of cooking time so that they are still slightly firm. I’m sure Chow knows far more than I do. I’ve always cooked “Mom’s wayâ€, which is homestyle and hearty, rather than fancy.

I’m thinking of buying some steaks (before they are $80 a pound LOL), taking them to my daughter’s house and having my SIL grill them for us. He’s a chef, and I’ve told my daughter that if I could only get a man who is a farmer, she & I would have it made: Fresh off the farm and cooked for us. LOL

Now that I’m older, I work with three ingredients per meal.
Bread, peanut butter, jelly
Bun, hot dog, mustard
Tortilla, cheese, salsa
Popcorn, butter, salt. (Yes, for dinner. When you live alone, you can eat what you want.)
Yogurt, Grape Nuts, sweetener

It’s Saturday, so I get to spend the day with my grandson. (The only person who I can go on and on about. Should I tell you how much I love him??? LMAO)

I hope everyone finds a way to enjoy it.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:26 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Good luck on the pot roast, Sonic! I cook a lot, but I'm a recipe cook. Not that I never go off script, but I need guidelines and proportions; otherwise I can't get started.

I need some advice from the CD hive mind: My sister and BIL were going on a trip with my parents in December that's suddenly turned into a huge family (surprise) vacation. And it's not that I don't want to see my family, it's that they're going to the mouse-flavored theme park in central Florida. I cannot express how much I, as a single, childless woman, do not want to use my PTO and spend $$$ to go there in particular. An AirBNB in the mountains? Great! A beach house? Sure! A crowded theme park full of families and children (during a pandemic) that's hard to do on a budget? No, thank you, please. Am I a total grinch for standing firm in not wanting to do this?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-09-2021 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-09-2021, 10:35 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Good luck on the pot roast, Sonic! I cook a lot, but I'm a recipe cook. Not that I never go off script, but I need guidelines and proportions; otherwise I can't get started.

I need some advice from the CD hive mind: My sister and BIL were going on a trip with my parents in December that's suddenly turned into a huge family (surprise) vacation. And it's not that I don't want to see my family, it's that they're going to the mouse-flavored theme park in central Florida. I cannot express how much I, as a single, childless woman, do not want to use my PTO and spend $$$ to go there in particular. An AirBNB in the mountains? Great! A beach house? Sure! A theme park full of families and children? No, thank you, please. Am I a total grinch for standing firm in not wanting to do this?
Yes, kind of.

It would be a fun thing to do with family, and the family part is the most important.

DH and I went to Disneyland and Universal Studios about 5 years ago, by ourselves and had a BLAST. I'm not a huge disney fan or anything, but damn. Pay whatever you have to to get to the front of the line.... worth it. Review how to use the fast pass and stuff, it makes a HUGE difference.

Have fun.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-09-2021, 10:47 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

I need some advice from the CD hive mind: My sister and BIL were going on a trip with my parents in December that's suddenly turned into a huge family (surprise) vacation. And it's not that I don't want to see my family, it's that they're going to the mouse-flavored theme park in central Florida. I cannot express how much I, as a single, childless woman, do not want to use my PTO and spend $$$ to go there in particular. An AirBNB in the mountains? Great! A beach house? Sure! A crowded theme park full of families and children (during a pandemic)? No, thank you, please. Am I a total grinch for standing firm in not wanting to do this?
I think that since it was never stated up front as being a large family get together and there wasn't any kind of group buy in on the destination it gives you some wiggle room on this.

Besides, Disneyland sounds like a nightmare to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships