Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
No, my friends don't attend the same college as me. However, I've never really been welcomed into any of the cliques or social groups on campus.

Honestly, when I did hang out with my so-called friend I always had a bad experience that left me crying afterwards. She would always tell me something negative somebody said about me. I don't know if it was true or if the person really said it. But I always leave feeling really awful and not really accepted. so I have major anxiety wehn it comes to going to parties, bars, clubs and social gatherings as a result. I didn't used to feel that way but because of my experiences it changed me
That's why we keep telling you that you have to find new friends. They are not your friends if they're going to talk to you like that. If what they said was true, they wouldn't be your friends by telling you what the other person said but rather they should be sticking up for you. Some people are jealous and will throw jabs when they can. Trust me. I know one just like that.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:13 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
That's why we keep telling you that you have to find new friends. They are not your friends if they're going to talk to you like that. If what they said was true, they wouldn't be your friends by telling you what the other person said but rather they should be sticking up for you. Some people are jealous and will throw jabs when they can. Trust me. I know one just like that.
I don't know how to find new friends honestly. I don't even have anything interesting to talk about cause nothing eventful has happened to me lately

Old 05-10-2012, 01:13 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
Quote:
Okay, makes sense now. As a pre-teen and teenager, boys did not find me attractive at all so I would have never been included in any of those activities. I remember in middle school when guys would go around smacking girls that they thought were cute on the butt and no one ever smacked mine I never got invited to any house parties or anything in middle or high school. I was invisible to guys. I vicariously lived through other people's experiences. I remember getting teased for being 'too dark', and boys just not finding me attractive. I did have one guy who was supposed to be my boyfriend in my junior year but he didn't want anyone to know that he even knew me. So I missed out on the social/dating development during my pre teen and teenage years.

I have to admit, that sucks. I feel for you. You obviously have "self-esteem" issues and "rightfully" so. I am sorry that you have had a tough life. I really am. I forget sometimes, that what sometimes might come easy for some, may be very difficult for others. I am sorry you had such a tough time. I don't know what more to say. If it makes you feel any better, If I were single, I'd smack that a s just to cheer you up! lol. Seriously though. Maybe (like you said) you just have "anxiety" issues. I'm not a doctor, but I know this can be treated. Maybe that is a big part of your problem. I wish you well. I hope your life gets better. Take care.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I have to admit, that sucks. I feel for you. You obviously have "self-esteem" issues and "rightfully" so. I am sorry that you have had a tough life. I really am. I forget sometimes, that what sometimes might come easy for some, may be very difficult for others. I am sorry you had such a tough time. I don't know what more to say. If it makes you feel any better, If I were single, I'd smack that a s just to cheer you up! lol. Seriously though. Maybe (like you said) you just have "anxiety" issues. I'm not a doctor, but I know this can be treated. Maybe that is a big part of your problem. I wish you well. I hope your life gets better. Take care.
It's okay. It's too late to do anything about it. That's just how life is when you don't look a certain way you are kinda denied certain opportunities that come so easily to other people

Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Quote:
No, I'm not into sports. I don't even feel comfortable going to something like that by myself
Striking out (no pun intended) what do you like to do that you could find a group of people that would like the same thing?

**The league is meant to join with a couple people you know then make the rest of your team randomly so you can meet new people.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It's okay. It's too late to do anything about it. That's just how life is when you don't look a certain way you are kinda denied certain opportunities that come so easily to other people

You might be a late bloomer. Plus, we are all gonna fade some day. Take solace in that. Looks don't last forever for any of us. While you might "think" you look bad, I'm pretty sure there is someone out there that thinks of you as a "QUEEN"..Stop beating yourself up. I know, easier said than done. But I bet you have a ton of other qualities that many people (if they only knew better) wish they had.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Striking out (no pun intended) what do you like to do that you could find a group of people that would like the same thing?

**The league is meant to join with a couple people you know then make the rest of your team randomly so you can meet new people.
I like hair and makeup. Those are not interests that men have, well straight men. I like some art, and history. However you aren't going to find guys looking to meet women at a museum

Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Quote:
I like hair and makeup. Those are not interests that men have, well straight men. I like some art, and history. However you aren't going to find guys looking to meet women at a museum
I'm a lit major who always wanted to meet a guy who was into medieval/Renascence literature... didn't and likely wont happen in undergrad. Not that I am going to grad school to meet guys, but there are a lot more like-minded men narrowed down and weeded out that I have met in my grad school classes.

They are super intelligent (which I love) and can hold a conversation about Chaucer (which is amazing). Study groups and stuff will meet at coffee shops after class or on Sat mornings. It's a great way to meet people with common interests.

It might be an option. If not there are plenty of groups to join that discuss literature, art etc.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
I don't know how to find new friends honestly. I don't even have anything interesting to talk about cause nothing eventful has happened to me lately
Are there any clubs in your school that you might be interested in? Arts, theater, stuff like that? Also, how about volunteering? How do you feel about animals? Shelters always need volunteers and it's a good way to meet people. If you don't like animals then you can pass on that

There's lots of people who don't have anything eventful going on but I'm sure you have similar interests as other people.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Sure you will. It's all timing. I've known plenty of nice guys who were into those things. What's wrong with museums. Most of those type of guys are the nicest for relationship material too. You just have to have the right timing. If you see one of them, go for it. Remember-nothing ventured-nothing gained..It will come. Keep your head up and just be patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.