Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
99.9% of guys who run the one-liners on you at a bar or night club only want to have sex with you. If your a women who frequents either establishment in pursuit of meeting someone "special", lets be honest, you all know the odds by now. If you want to meet Mr. Right join a book club or something
Hmm, I dunno about that because I met my husband in a bar (he's the last person you'll see in a book club lol). I know married couples who actually met at clubs. I don't think it matters where but rather the vibe or the person and the actual agenda they have planned. I don't think it's fair to say 99.9% of them have that sole intention.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:30 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Hmm, I dunno about that because I met my husband in a bar (he's the last person you'll see in a book club lol). I know married couples who actually met at clubs. I don't think it matters where but rather the vibe or the person and the actual agenda they have planned. I don't think it's fair to say 99.9% of them have that sole intention.
I was exaggerating to prove a point. If you think your going to find prince charming at a bar or a club the possibility is slim (to none).

Old 05-10-2012, 12:38 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbOfMemphisTN View Post
Wishing sex, marriage and commitment still had the value as it did 30-40 years ago. People had more values and morals back then!! UGH!!!!
Because the 1970's and 1980's was the height of the Moral Era? Really? I don't know, 25 years ago I was in college, and it seemed that we were just coming to the end of the era of free love. AIDS/HIV was coming in, and the era of Reagan-induced instant gratification was running it's course and reaching an end. Thank God we aren't back in those days of moral currency!

But to the OP, I think that the quoted response (the entire response) is actually indicative of the truth. The truth is that different people have different values. And if your value is nothing more than "getting laid", it's probably not that difficult. I (and I assume a large majority of people) place more value in other people, and in the relationships they create. Seems like the OP falls into this catagory too. If sex is more than just getting laid, then it takes time and investment of deeper things, like emotions, and there is not time for multiple partners.

I guess that's my take anyway. As someone recently on the single-market, I'm finding that I'm not as interested in "just getting laid" as I would have thought. My last experience with being a free and single guy was 25 years ago, so I guess a lot has changed (in me).

Old 05-10-2012, 12:42 PM

155 posts, read 252,577 times
Thing is, its a LOT easier for women to have more partners than men, because as a famous comedian once said, women get propositioned for sex pretty much every day. The only ones who may have a difficult time are the really dark skinned, wide nosed, kinky or no hair having, afrocentric, yo yo yo, type women. Things are bit more challenging for them because unfortunately, they are not as universally considered beautiful by most men.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:42 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
How do you meet so many people to have sex with? Do you go to a bar, club? Have a lot of friends? I'm reading posts about how someone's s/o cheated on them with 8 or 10 people. I don't even meet that many guys a year.

I don't even know anymore. Possibly now for the youngsters it's the internet. When I was younger, my friends and I were always having parties either at someones house. Or we were at bars/clubs. It wasn't hard to hook up. You just had to be careful. Of course I grew up in two era's. I grew up in the eighties as well as the very early nineties. At that time it was the Playa' era. We did more f'ing than talking. It really was differnt then. I was talking to my barber the other day who is just eight years older than I, and we were like where are all the kids anymore? It seems like no kids are outside anymore. There all inside on their computers or playing video games. When I was younger, there was no internet, cell phones, etc. If you wanted to meet someone you had to get out there. It forced you to becom "social". I don't think alot of people today have these same characteristics. We see it with all the moaning and groaning on how to meet someone/ hook up etc. Kids can be social on the "computer". But you put those same kids/people in a room together and it is hush hush..Just not alot of social interaction today.

I can say that I am glad that I grew up when I did. I think it would be "tougher" for kids to meet others today as in the past. Even with all this "technology". I just think it takes aways "something" that I can't quite explain. I am no big shot. Most of my friends had sex with alot of women too. It was just what everyone was doing. Atleast from where I came from. Anyone can get laid. You just have to put in the effort. The key is to start the conversation process. Go up and talk to someone. I hate the fact that you'll be trying to have a conversation with someone today and their damn phone get's in the way. Their listening to you and at the same time looking at their phone..I think if I had to deal with this behavior when I was younger, this would lead to a lot of getting knowwhere. There's not enough attention and attentitiveness towards the opposite sex anymore. Atleast enough to were the women wants to have sex with you. Why would she give it up, if you are somewhat into the conversation. Ex, you're talking to her and looking at your phone at the same time. Or not seeing her in person, just texting her. There's just something missing. You can't look a girl in the eye and make her feel "special" while at the same time texting some random person something stupid..

Old 05-10-2012, 12:43 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well if you get picked up at a nightclub and have sex that night, how interested do you think he is?
Nah. I mean a girl goes out with a guy and after a couple of dates or few weeks he starts pressuring her for sex. it becomes clear that he had no intentions of getting to know her. Some guys will wait around for months, get what they want and then disappear.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I was exaggerating to prove a point. If you think your going to find prince charming at a bar or a club the possibility is slim (to none).
That might be the case for the places you go to. I know a lot of people that met their spouses/ SO's in bars and clubs, including myself and the intentions weren't to have a hook-up. Not saying they don't exist at all but i wouldn't tell someone not to bother going to a bar or club if they're looking for a potential SO. I was away in Florida on a business trip. Since I had to be there for 2 weeks, I stayed through the weekend rather than going home. One day I was sitting by the pool with a book and 2 men approached me (separately). During those 2 weeks I had random men approach me while I was sitting in the lobby enjoying the sound of the waterfall while reading my book. I wasn't in a club or a bar. If they're looking for just sex, it doesn't matter where you are, trust me.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient View Post
Thing is, its a LOT easier for women to have more partners than men, because as a famous comedian once said, women get propositioned for sex pretty much every day. The only ones who may have a difficult time are the really dark skinned, wide nosed, kinky or no hair having, afrocentric, yo yo yo, type women. Things are bit more challenging for them because unfortunately, they are not as universally considered beautiful by most men.
thank you for reminding me how undesirable I am

Old 05-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient View Post

WHAT?!?!?! I don't even know what to say to that. What famous comedian said that nonsense?

Old 05-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I don't even know anymore. Possibly now for the youngsters it's the internet. When I was younger, my friends and I were always having parties either at someones house. Or we were at bars/clubs. It wasn't hard to hook up. You just had to be careful. Of course I grew up in two era's. I grew up in the eighties as well as the very early nineties. At that time it was the Playa' era. We did more f'ing than talking. It really was differnt then. I was talking to my barber the other day who is just eight years older than I, and we were like where are all the kids anymore? It seems like no kids are outside anymore. There all inside on their computers or playing video games. When I was younger, there was no internet, cell phones, etc. If you wanted to meet someone you had to get out there. It forced you to becom "social". I don't think alot of people today have these same characteristics. We see it with all the moaning and groaning on how to meet someone/ hook up etc. Kids can be social on the "computer". But you put those same kids/people in a room together and it is hush hush..Just not alot of social interaction today.

I can say that I am glad that I grew up when I did. I think it would be "tougher" for kids to meet others today as in the past. Even with all this "technology". I just think it takes aways "something" that I can't quite explain. I am no big shot. Most of my friends had sex with alot of women too. It was just what everyone was doing. Atleast from where I came from. Anyone can get laid. You just have to put in the effort. The key is to start the conversation process. Go up and talk to someone. I hate the fact that you'll be trying to have a conversation with someone today and their damn phone get's in the way. Their listening to you and at the same time looking at their phone..I think if I had to deal with this behavior when I was younger, this would lead to a lot of getting knowwhere. There's not enough attention and attentitiveness towards the opposite sex anymore. Atleast enough to were the women wants to have sex with you. Why would she give it up, if you are somewhat into the conversation. Ex, you're talking to her and looking at your phone at the same time. Or not seeing her in person, just texting her. There's just something missing. You can't look a girl in the eye and make her feel "special" while at the same time texting some random person something stupid..
Where did you go to meet people?? Was there a local lounge that you met up at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships