Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2016, 05:50 PM

560 posts, read 541,034 times

Advertisements

i have a bag of russet potatoes i need to use up and figured to make potato salad for the upcoming 4th BBQ/cookout. i don't make/buy potato salad often, and prefer ones with little mayo instead of drenched in it!

hit me up your favorite/best recipe and please give/link the recipe too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 05:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times
Potatoes
Boiled egg
yellow onion
miracle whip

Boil potatoes, boil eggs, dice onion
add all ingrdients together
add as much miracle whip as you want
add a squirt of mustard.

Simple is best.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:56 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,825,346 times
I've never used russets in potato salad. Waxier potatoes like red seem to work better.

Maybe someone can chime in. I've heard of a mashed potato salad?

Old 07-02-2016, 06:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,210,349 times
Russet potatoes boiled gently intact in their skins for 40 minutes. When still warm, remove the skins, and trim any eyes etc. out. Cut into 1.0 to 1.5 inch chunks. Chill. Dice onions (both white and green onions), and green pepper (the magic ingredient in my book); you can add some red pepper if you like, too. Hard boiled eggs (save the yolks). The more "fragrant" and tasty the pepper, the better your salad will taste. The rest of the ingredients are "measured" strictly by taste. Salt, ground pepper, Mrs Dash, paprika. Add a tablespoon or 2 of vinegar + Mazola and toss well. Finally, toss with a mixture of mayo, a tish of mustard (yellow works fine), and smashed yolks from the eggs making a creamy dressing; season this too, separetly. Gently toss this with the potatoes, etc. Cover and place in the fridge at least 8 hours - overnight is best (this allows the flavors to permeate the potatoes).

I agree with CSD610 - Keep it simple! Adding weird stuff to potato salad ruins it. Pickle juice is a classic example.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 07-02-2016 at 06:29 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I've never used russets in potato salad. Waxier potatoes like red seem to work better.

Maybe someone can chime in. I've heard of a mashed potato salad?
Russets work fine for me. I just make sure I don't overboil them (40 - 45 minutes on just a low boil works best and I don't use real large ones.) The yellow potatoes they are selling lately (unless very expensive "gourmet type") are too hard gritty and flavorless; they lack the buttery consistency of quality yellow potatoes. I'm avoiding them these days. "Yukon Golds" (which were great) have mysteriously disappeared from the stores for a couple years now. The yellow spuds in their place are no comparison.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 07-02-2016 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 08:08 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,527,530 times
Add vinegar to the warm russets after boiling. It will flavor the potatoes and you won't need so much mayo.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:10 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,685,451 times
Our last batch of potato salad was made with small reds skin on cut larger than normal, dill relish, equal parts mustard and mayo, diced Vidalia onion, & celery seed. I think the next batch might be a bit different with a little grated mild cheddar cheese in it. When it is just for my self I add jalapeno slices.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:37 AM

392 posts, read 991,927 times
Default Potato Salad

I like the Yukon Golds for potato salad. Never tried the dressing with sour cream but after reading all the posts next time I'm going to try some sour cream with the mayo.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Recently saw a Cooks Country where they talked about how potatoes absorb too much water when you boil them and they cut potatoes in quarters and steamed them in veggie steamer. I think they were talking about making good mashed potatoes.

So I steamed some potatoes the same way for potato salad and it turned out great. My steamer basket did not have long legs so I wadded up tin foil to put under each leg so the potatoes did not sit in water.
It's not necessary. Just use uniform sized potatoes (that's really the important part) so they boil up consistently done. Establishing how long to boil them is important. IMO, the best potato salad has potatoes cooked just right. Cooks Country sometimes takes a simple method, turns it complex, and the results are only more labor intensive.

I've tried cutting up spuds that were too large and they turned mooshy.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:51 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,895,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
I like the Yukon Golds for potato salad...
Yep, and they make excellent baking potatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes