Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 10:21 AM

8,813 posts, read 5,122,169 times

Advertisements

Wondering if any one has tried adding olive juice, to their potato salad. We love olives, and I have saved the juice from the olives. Looking to try something different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 10:49 AM

32,723 posts, read 48,321,659 times
No, but I added chopped black olives to my last potato salad and that worked well.

I would guess that adding the brine would be OK flavorwise, but it would make the dressing too thin.

My father would add the olives and all the juice from the can into his speghetti sauce and his speghetti sauce was delicious. With speghetti sauce, if it is too thin you can cook to reduce the liquid.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:51 AM

14,399 posts, read 11,823,790 times
I've used pickle juice, and we liked that. I don't see why olive juice wouldn't also be good. We love olives too!

Old 03-11-2021, 12:57 PM

12,116 posts, read 8,504,974 times
If I were going to do this what I'd do is peel the potatoes while they were still hot - as hot as you can stand to hold them. Then sprinkle the olive juice, salt and pepper on them and let them marinate like that for about a half hour at room temperature.

This is what someone taught me to do only with a little white vinegar and it's amazing what flavor the potatoes can absorb in that time.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:23 PM

1,371 posts, read 675,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
If I were going to do this what I'd do is peel the potatoes while they were still hot - as hot as you can stand to hold them. Then sprinkle the olive juice, salt and pepper on them and let them marinate like that for about a half hour at room temperature.

This is what someone taught me to do only with a little white vinegar and it's amazing what flavor the potatoes can absorb in that time.

This. I have a couple of potato salad recipes that have you sprinkle white or cider vinegar or white wine on them while still hot and it makes a definitie taste difference if you forget to do it.

I usually peel the potatoes before though and then steam them instead of boiling. That way, the vinegar or wine goes on while they are still piping hot.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:41 PM

7,499 posts, read 6,296,587 times
My potato salad has potatoes, hard boiled eggs, diced onions, diced celery, dill pickle relish,mayo, yellow mustard, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add dill pickle juice.

Old 03-12-2021, 05:36 AM

8,813 posts, read 5,122,169 times
So I did add the olive juice to the mayo, in my potato salad. Nice tangy flavor. Next time I will add abit more. No more putting olive juice down the drain. I even like some in my green salads.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:14 AM

50,443 posts, read 64,273,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
This. I have a couple of potato salad recipes that have you sprinkle white or cider vinegar or white wine on them while still hot and it makes a definitie taste difference if you forget to do it.

I usually peel the potatoes before though and then steam them instead of boiling. That way, the vinegar or wine goes on while they are still piping hot.
An ancient Southern Living recipe used rice vinegar and Kraft mayo. I still use only rice vinegar, but I’m more likely to use Hellman’s. The vinegar is definitely that special something that sets it apart.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:48 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,329,883 times
Yes, the vinegar! When I made potato salad for the first time using vinegar while the spuds were warm, I was transported back to my mom's amazing potato salad.

I love the idea of adding some olive juice to this step-- I'm gonna try that.

My favorite recipe, an attempt to recreate my mom's recipe, adds mayo (of course), egg, mustard, celery, onion, celery salt, sliced black olives, paprika, and maybe a couple of other things to the vinegared potatoes.

I've been using Hellmans mayo, but have heard that many people prefer Duke's for some reason. I've never had Duke's (that I'm aware of), but plan to try it out sometime this spring.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:15 AM

9,519 posts, read 5,315,901 times
My father claimed that the secret to magnificent Jewish deli potato salad was red wine vinegar drizzled on the cooked potatoes before you added all the other ingredients. I have no idea if this is true but that is what I do and I let that sit in the frig for a couple of hours so the vinegar sinks into the taters.
Then.....celery, a bit of onion, maybe teeny bits of carrot if I'm in the mood, bacon (crumbled small) hard boiled egg and mayo.
I added bacon after a co-worker told me it was great potato salad but needed bacon....and that makes a diff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes