Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:49 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times

Advertisements

I had some potato salad last night that was so good. It had some kind of dressing on it but I couldn't tell what it was. I usually just put Mayo and mustard on it and leave it at that but this wasn't so strong tasting and it allowed the flavors of the eggs and onions to come through.

I was thinking of mixing half Mayo and have sour cream with a little bit of mustard and see if that sounds good.

What do you guys put on your potato salad?

I don't use pre-made salad dressings unless they are organic and I don't think I would care for an all oil and vinegar type dressing. I guess that might be good if mixed with sour cream though.

I know what all you add in with the potatos is a personal thing, I personally like white mild onions, egg and pickles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 02:57 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,845,822 times
People rave about this one:

Drain potatoes and while hot
add chopped green pepper
chopped onion
couple of scallions
salt/pepper
chopped hard cooked eggs
Pour on French dressing-Mix all carefully so potatoes don't mash.

Let this sit refrigerated at least 4 hrs.

Mix mayo, dijon mustard, couple tsps lemon juice.

Sprinkle flat leaf parseley on top.

I've made it also with a mix of sour cream, mayo,horseradish, eggs, bacon, scallions-nice change.

Hope it helps.

Toss with potate mixture.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:58 PM

that "toss with potato mixture" somehow slipped-should be after "mix mayo, dijon,etc."

Old 03-22-2008, 03:00 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
that "toss with potato mixture" somehow slipped-should be after "mix mayo, dijon,etc."
I like the idea of bacon and bell peppers.

The one I had last night was new potatos with the skins on, it was very good that way.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:02 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,757 times
My Betty Crocker recipe for potato salad calls for a little vinegar along with the mayo and mustard; I think that makes a big difference. I love it!

Also, I had a potato salad made with pesto once which was divine. (Don't know what all was in there or how to make it though). Good luck!

Boy, do I want potato salad now.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:08 PM

16,660 posts, read 17,426,834 times
I'm reading from Nigella (Lawson) Express;

Warm Potato Salad.

Boil scrubbed new potatoes, drain and can be cut in half.

Put in large bowl and add finely sliced spring onions.

Heat garlic oil and crisp up bacon rashers- remove to a plate.

Take oil off the heat and add a slightly larger quantity of white wine vinegar, and wholegrain mustard. Stir and tip in potatoes with onoins. Toss together.

Can be left at this point for up to an hour or so.

When ready to serve, crumble in most of the bacon, toss and garnish with the rest of the bacon- again crumbled.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:08 PM

Lindsay-I leave skins on reds when I do the sour cream one.

the french dressing makes it a light orange but it's very good-I have to make it wherever we go (that's why I'm starting to hate it!) LOL

Old 03-22-2008, 03:23 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I'm reading from Nigella (Lawson) Express;

Warm Potato Salad.

Boil scrubbed new potatoes, drain and can be cut in half.

Put in large bowl and add finely sliced spring onions.

Heat garlic oil and crisp up bacon rashers- remove to a plate.

Take oil off the heat and add a slightly larger quantity of white wine vinegar, and wholegrain mustard. Stir and tip in potatoes with onoins. Toss together.

Can be left at this point for up to an hour or so.

When ready to serve, crumble in most of the bacon, toss and garnish with the rest of the bacon- again crumbled.
I have made some similar to that, it's really good! We don't care for eggs in our potato salads.

One other thing you might throw into a potato salad with mayo/sour cream/etc. is a dash of chopped dried dill. We always leave the skin on our potatoes too, I use the small baby potatoes, fingerlings, or cut up gold potatoes.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:12 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,122 times
I've made one once with wasabi mayo, red onion, green beens, and radishes that was really good....

Old 03-22-2008, 07:50 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
I HATE mayo. - I make mine w/potatoes, sliced onions and cucumbers - then I make a mix of Apple Cider vinegar, Italian seasoning, pepper, garlic powder and a little oil - yummy. Plus it has the Plus of not having mayo. so it can sit out longer.

Make it a day ahead if possible so the flavors can marinate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes