Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:22 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,452,289 times

Advertisements

My mother-in-law makes the best potato salad I have ever had in my life. Nothing fancy -- just the traditional potato salad, with boiled eggs, chopped onions, a variety of chopped sweet bell peppers, some celery, a little pickle relish, just enough mayo to hold it together, a touch of mustard, and some S&P. I have watched her make it. I have chopped items for her, and paid attention to quantities. I buy good, quality potatoes that I am careful not to overcook.

Does mine ever taste as good as what hers does? NO.

I must not be sticking my tongue out right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 07:18 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Another really good potato salad is the Double Mustard Potato Salad in Mark Bitman's book How to Cook Everything. It sounds like too much mustard in the recipe, but it's not, it's just wonderful.

Someone made it on this blog:

Eat / Blistered peppers and mustard potato salad

I follow the recipe except it really needs diced bell pepper, and I never use the grainy mustard, I just use regular yellow and dijon.

This is a great summer bbq dish, the fresh basil makes it really different and good.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:16 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times
Smile Potato Salad Recipes

It's the moment we've all been waiting for. The five semifinalists' potato salad recipes in Emeril's Potato Salad Challenge have been chosen and it's time to vote for your favorite.

ABC News: See the 5 Finalists' Potato Salad Recipes

Old 11-10-2008, 04:47 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,656,546 times
Question Potato Salad Recipe?

Hello, all!

My husband just loves to make potato salad but somewhere along the way, he must have lost or forgotten his recipe because he isn't enjoying it much, anymore.

I suggested he google it or go to food network for a recipe but he hasn't done that, so far. I think he's hoping I will do it for him. So, here I am. I know that there are different types of potato salads and everyone has their favorite style so I imagine it will be a great topic for our forum.

Actually, I don't think I've ever posted in this particular Recipe Forum so I'm excited to get to know some new people as well as hopefully see some old friends.

Before I finish this post, I should tell you about a couple of his preferences. He likes his potato salad with sweet pickles/relish as opposed to dill or whatever. He doesn't like too much mustard, either. His favorite at a local store deli is called Deviled Egg but they've had a change in management and that may be the reason that the flavor has changed...or maybe he's just tired of it. Who knows?

PLEASE DON'T LIMIT YOUR RECIPES to just the ones with his preferences in mind. I'd hate to see this topic go to waste. I'm sure there are others with the same question but different preferences so have at it, folks! Let's give this all-American dish the attention it deserves! I can hardly wait to see what you'll come up with!

Oh...and thanks in advance for your recipes!

MrsG

Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,919,536 times
* a handful of green beans, trimmed
* 6 or 7 small red potatoes, unpeeled, halved
* 2 tbls dry vermouth
* 2 tbls white or red wine vinegar
* 1 large shallot diced. Red onion would be OK, but not too much
* 1 tbls Dijon mustard
* Olive oil to taste
* chopped parsley

Boil the beans in large pan of salted water until crisp-tender,then blanche in a bowl of ice water and drain.

Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 12 minutes. Drain; transfer to large bowl. Sprinkle vermouth over hot potatoes; toss gently and let stand 5 minutes. Add green beans. Whisk vinegar, shallot, and mustard in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Pour over potatoes and beans. Toss to coat. Cool completely. Season to taste with salt, pepper and parsley. Serve cold.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Wow! Now, THAT'S a DIFFERENT potato salad! I bet it's yummy, too!

Thank you for sharing it. I'd love to know the story behind it. Care to share?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,020 times
I can only tell you how I make mine and get many compliments though it's very simple.

Hard-boiled eggs.
Boiled potatoes - cut up
onion
celery
Miracle Whip
secret ingredient: Poultry seasoning

Old 11-10-2008, 09:57 PM

We love simple, Aylalou! This looks great!

Care to go into any more detail as to approximate amounts?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,020 times
Hmm. You can taste it as you go - that's all I can say.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:34 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,919,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
Wow! Now, THAT'S a DIFFERENT potato salad! I bet it's yummy, too!

Thank you for sharing it. I'd love to know the story behind it. Care to share?
Nothing exciting - I found it on-line while looking for a dish that would combine 2 things I had a lot of at the time; green beans and red potatoes. It was attributed to Bon Appétit, August 2002.

I liked it a lot. I added some garlic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes