Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 08:30 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,519,960 times

Advertisements

I love the double mustard potato salad from Mark Bitman's How to Cook Everything. Maybe you can find it on line.

I don't remember if he calls for it or not, but I like to add a lot of green and red bell pepper to that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Recipe?

I just toss together potatoes, celery, onions, mayo, eggs, mustard and pepper until it tastes good.

Another combo I like is potatoes, celery, onion, tarragon, garlic, and oil and vinegar.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 PM

299 posts, read 1,334,032 times
I've had potato salad where apples were added. Sounds strange but it is really good.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:25 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,808,296 times
Our Family Potato Salad

5 lb bag of potatoes
1 dozen eggs
1 medium jar of chopped olives
1 pint jar of "real" mayo
chopped celery (two or three stalks as desired)
1-2 teaspoons mustard
1-2 teaspoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Paprika
Feeds a crowd (10-15)

-- Boil potatoes and eggs in large pot until you can pierce potatoes easily with a fork.
-- Drain water from pot and remove potatoes onto a towel on the counter to cool.
-- Run cold water over the eggs to cool and then shell... then chop into a very large mixing bowl.
-- Chop celery and add to bowl.
-- Drain olives/pimentos and chop to even smaller pieces... add all to bowl.
-- Refrigerate until potatoes cool completely (about 1/2 to one hour).

-- When potatoes are completely cooled, peel and slice into bite-size pieces... add to bowl.

-- Add the mayo, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper to bowl... stir well to combine all the ingredients.

--
Once everything is combined well, you are then able to put it into a smaller serving bowl. Sprinkle the top with the paprika, cover and refrigerate for about an hour to allow the flavors to blend.

The olives are my family's preference; however, my mother always included sweet pickle relish and onions in hers instead, and everyone seemed to love it as well, so it's your call. That's the only part I've changed from her recipe... her "secret" ingredient definitely was the sugar... who would of thunk it?... also, she was a real stickler for her "an egg for each potato" per person philosophy... the 5 lb bag of potatoes and dozen eggs usually equal each other close enough for me!

Enjoy!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-28-2009 at 01:07 AM..

Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,096,368 times
I just saw a recipe on tv that I plan to try: coat hot peeled diced potatoes with a mix of a little yellow mustard and a couple spoons of pickle juice, let cool. Mix in fine chopped onion, celery, pickles and mayo. Shortly before serving mix in chopped hard boiled eggs. Looks good!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:48 PM

557 posts, read 2,611,881 times
Default Anyone have a great recipe for cold potato salad?

Anyone have a proven recipe for cold potato salad? --one that almost everybody loves?

Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,324,682 times
I love this recipe. I have always left out the tarragon as I don't like it. It is a basic light recipe and you change what you want. My kids love it!

Yukon Gold Potato Salad Recipe - MyRecipes.com

Old 07-17-2009, 04:40 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,364,086 times
My husband won't eat anything with mayo, so I make this potato salad:

French-Style Potato Salad

12 – 14 (apx. 1.5 lbs) small new potatoes, unpeeled
3 T dry white wine
¼ C Olive oil
2 T wine vinegar
2 T Dijon mustard
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp to 1 tsp dried tarragon
¼ tsp pepper
¼ c sliced green onions
¼ c minced fresh parsley

Slice potatoes in ¼ inch slices and boil in salted water until just barely tender. Drain and add wine, tossing to coat. Let stand for 10 min. Combine olive oil and next 5 ingredients. Pour over potatoes, add onions and parsley and toss gently. May be served chilled or a room temperature.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:02 PM

507 posts, read 2,298,576 times
I don't really go by a recipe, and my salad always gets rave reviews at social gatherings. I use:
diced potatoes
chopped onions
chopped celery
sweet gherkins
boiled eggs
chopped red bell pepper, for color
Add mayonaise, mustard, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper,

Old 07-20-2009, 01:34 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,299,353 times
Also do a search for potato salad - there a couple of threads already on here that have some good recipes. (Potato salad is one of the things I just don't think I make very well! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes