Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 10:36 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,897,837 times

Advertisements

You need mustard to "zip" it up! Add enough to make it yellow. Fresh dill, minced dill pickle or dill relish is a must!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 10:39 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,340,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
You need mustard to "zip" it up! Fresh dill, minced dill pickle or dill relish is a must!
What about Dill weed? That is all I have in my cabinet. It tastes okay I think I may have added too much mayo though. This is my first time making potato salad and I think I should have made practice batch first...my company will be here in 30 minutes!

Old 06-13-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
What about Dill weed? That is all I have in my cabinet. It tastes okay I think I may have added too much mayo though. This is my first time making potato salad and I think I should have made practice batch first...my company will be here in 30 minutes!
You don't want to make it soupy adding too much mayo and mustard. I'm really not familiar enough with dill weed to say anything. Don't overcook potatoes they'll be mush. Don't be afraid to add the mustard. It's quick and easy to boil a couple more quartered potatoes to make last minute repairs.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:43 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,461,996 times
I always add a couple of teaspoons of Bragg Vinegar and a couple of teaspoons of sugar.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:49 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,340,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
You don't want to make it soupy adding too much mayo and mustard. I'm really not familiar enough with dill weed to say anything. Don't overcook potatoes they'll be mush. Don't be afraid to add the mustard. It's quick and easy to boil a couple more quartered potatoes to make last minute repairs.
Thanks for the advice! ****runs to put on more potatoes****

Old 06-13-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
Thanks for the advice! ****runs to put on more potatoes****
You're welcome! Good luck!

Old 06-13-2015, 11:28 AM

14,967 posts, read 12,185,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie0202 View Post
Any ideas on new potato salad recipes? I use the small b size potatoes and usually just do the basic, potatoes, eggs, onion, celery, mayo, salt and pepper.
I can't put bacon in it since I have those who don't like bacon. Yes, can you believe anyone who doesn't like bacon? LOL

Anyway, I was thinking of zipping it up with maybe some fresh dill or whatever.

Any ideas for something new on this basic recipe

Thanks
My mother used to mix mayo and mustard into the bowl she was using fir the potato salad, and add the potatoes to that mixture while they were still hot, let them sit there for a while to sort of "marinate" while they cooled before she mixed them with the other ingredients (diced onions, green peppers, celery, and egg if I recall). The garnish was sliced eggs and paprika sprinkled on the top. Everyone loved it.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:45 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,763,373 times
Dill is a strong flavor that dominates and dish to which it's added. The best potato salad I ever had - and I don't have the recipe - was allegedly from a country club noted for its potato salad-and included LOTS of celery and celery seed. It was wonderful. Of course it's hard to make a bad potato salad.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:03 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
I tried a warm German potato salad recipe some years ago,it was so good i've been doing a version of it ever since=
Warm German Potato Salad Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network
I've never met anyone who cant do bacon so i suppose you could leave the bacon out or just tell em no warm German potato salad for you.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
My mother used to mix mayo and mustard into the bowl she was using fir the potato salad, and add the potatoes to that mixture while they were still hot, let them sit there for a while to sort of "marinate" while they cooled before she mixed them with the other ingredients (diced onions, green peppers, celery, and egg if I recall). The garnish was sliced eggs and paprika sprinkled on the top. Everyone loved it.
Oh yes! Dang, I forgot to mention the eggs. You don't have potato salad without eggs. Your Mother had it right. Can't have too much celery either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes