Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,660,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Hmm. You can taste it as you go - that's all I can say.
Funny...that's what my husband said. Thanks, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Nothing exciting - I found it on-line while looking for a dish that would combine 2 things I had a lot of at the time; green beans and red potatoes. It was attributed to Bon Appétit, August 2002.

I liked it a lot. I added some garlic.
Cool. It was just so different, I had to ask. You never know what you'll hear...it coulda been your grandmother's recipe from the homeland and she'd gotten it from her grandmother who got it from her mother-in-law who hailed from another country. Hahahaaa!

But Bon Appétit definitely works, too! Thanks, ars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 10:41 AM

50,407 posts, read 64,141,570 times
The usual...we are purists when it comes to potato salad- don't want it messed up with a bunch of exotic flavors
Red potatoes
Celery
Onion-not too much
Hard boiled eggs
Kraft Mayonnaise and Rice wine vinegar (just a few splashes)
Salt, pepper, and a little celery salt
Some fresh herbs are OK, like parsley, or dill, but not too much.
Never mustard (yuk)
There is something about the combination of kraft mayo and rice wine vinegar that is subtle, but good.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,614,653 times
Oh me oh my. I have to make potato salad for every family food gettogether. I fix it now from look & feel so I don't have exact measurements, but the ingredients I use are below. We like our potato salad moist, not too wet or dry.

Boiled red potatoes (I use most of a 5-lb bag or whatever fits well in a stock pot)
Boiled egg (4-6 I think, but I'm usually cooking for deviled eggs at the same time. I chop them in the food processor)
Chopped onion (1 large spanish type more or less to taste...some times they're too hot and I use less)
Sweet pickle relish (8oz jar...the middle sized one) Dump in the whole thing, don't drain.
Miracle Whip (several heaping tablespoons...maybe 4oz?)
Mayo (a couple of heaping tablespoons...maybe 2oz? because hubby likes mayo)
Mustard (one heaping tablespoon...just for color and a little zip)
Apple Cider Vinegar (one tablespoon more or less depends on whether you like tangy or sweet)
Salt (depends on the potato how much to add...I just sprinkle and taste test until I get it right)

This yields a large tupperware-type bowl full and feeds eight with enough for leftovers.

I hope this is close to correct. Next holiday, I'll try to remember to write down the ingredients...my daughter asks me for the recipe on a regular basis.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 11-11-2008 at 11:37 AM..

Old 11-11-2008, 06:12 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,334,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Oh me oh my. I have to make potato salad for every family food gettogether. I fix it now from look & feel so I don't have exact measurements, but the ingredients I use are below. We like our potato salad moist, not too wet or dry.

Boiled red potatoes (I use most of a 5-lb bag or whatever fits well in a stock pot)
Boiled egg (4-6 I think, but I'm usually cooking for deviled eggs at the same time. I chop them in the food processor)
Chopped onion (1 large spanish type more or less to taste...some times they're too hot and I use less)
Sweet pickle relish (8oz jar...the middle sized one) Dump in the whole thing, don't drain.
Apple Cider Vinegar (one tablespoon more or less depends on whether you like tangy or sweet)
Salt (depends on the potato how much to add...I just sprinkle and taste test until I get it right)

This yields a large tupperware-type bowl full and feeds eight with enough for leftovers.

I hope this is close to correct. Next holiday, I'll try to remember to write down the ingredients...my daughter asks me for the recipe on a regular basis.
That's pretty much the way I make it, including the measurements. I also add raw sunflower seeds if I have them, and finely chopped celery.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 AM

Cool These are great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The usual...we are purists when it comes to potato salad- don't want it messed up with a bunch of exotic flavors
Red potatoes
Celery
Onion-not too much
Hard boiled eggs
Kraft Mayonnaise and Rice wine vinegar (just a few splashes)
Salt, pepper, and a little celery salt
Some fresh herbs are OK, like parsley, or dill, but not too much.
Never mustard (yuk)
There is something about the combination of kraft mayo and rice wine vinegar that is subtle, but good.
Thanks, gentlearts! That's a good way to put it...purists...and you've just described the way we like it...without a bunch of exotic flavors. It's funny how my husband likes to experiment in the kitchen...but he likes some things more plain and if you "mess with them", he doesn't like it. Of course, this time I've come to the forum asking for potato salad recipes because he isn't satisfied with his anymore...but he will still turn his nose up at exotic stuff. I'm curious about the mayo and rice wine vinegar. I think he'll like that idea, too! Okay, now I have a question for you: Why do you specify red potatoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post

Thanks, Karen! This recipe looks BIG but it looks like one my husband would be willing to try. I have been thinking about trying Miracle Whip since I use it in my 7-Layer Salad recipe and used to use it all the time as a kid. Like your husband, mine likes mayo and over 29 years of marriage, I've grown to prefer it, too, but I still like Miracle Whip so this recipe really intrigues me. If he likes it, it will be a great dish to bring to church potlucks. For my sake, he'll have to leave out the onions, though. Maybe he can add some celery for some crunch, if he wants. I guess I should ask you the same question: Why do YOU specify red potatoes?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
That's pretty much the way I make it, including the measurements. I also add raw sunflower seeds if I have them, and finely chopped celery.
Sounds great, karibear! Thanks! It just so happens that I have sunflower seeds handy, too!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:45 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,340,390 times
I do basically what others here have mentioned but I do add some bacon I break up. I have even added a tablespoon or two of the hot bacon grease over the potatoes while they are still hot, I know, so unhealthy but tastes good! I also like some black sliced olives in it. I never seem to make my potatoe salad the same twice but the basics are the same.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:12 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,334,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I do basically what others here have mentioned but I do add some bacon I break up. I have even added a tablespoon or two of the hot bacon grease over the potatoes while they are still hot, I know, so unhealthy but tastes good! I also like some black sliced olives in it. I never seem to make my potatoe salad the same twice but the basics are the same.
My gran used to make a German style potato salad with bacon, bacon grease, vinegar and sugar. I have NEVER found a recipe that turns out like hers. I do know she always boiled the potatoes the day before so they were completely chilled, and the skins nearly slid off by themselves.

The potato part is easy, so is slicing onions, but no matter which way I try making the dressing, the smell of hot vinegar pretty much clears everyone out of the house. It didn't do that for her, but I was so young when she made it, I just don't remember how she did it.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,340,390 times
My DH has a real problem with vinegar so I don't use any vinegar. I've never use sugar either. I'm pretty basic....my MIL use to tell me that sometimes people just add to many things and it takes away from the flavor! I've always remembered that and use that for a rule with some of my cooking. To much doesn't always make things better!! I do think that a nice variety is a good way to change things up a bit sometimes!!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:08 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,356,013 times
This is what I put in mine:

Red potatoes, not peeled but yucky parts sliced off
Celery, diced fine
Red onion
Scallions, finely sliced, green and white
Hard boiled eggs.

Mix mayo, TINY squirt of mustard, tiny because it can easily overpower it, dash of vinegar, and if you will eat it right away, you can substitute some plain yogurt for a bit of the mayo (no more than 1/4 to 1/3 of the dressing should be yogurt) S & P, Add the rest. Mix.

Everyone loves this potato salad.

Which is a mixed blessing for me because now I have replaced my aunt as the potato salad person and that's what I am now stuck bringing to every family party that needs a potato salad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes