Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,943 times

Advertisements

I am not a fan of traditional potato salad, so I make a Bacon Ranch potato salad. I cut up and boil the potatoes, and after they have cooled, add Ranch w/Bacon dressing, about a tablespoon (full) of mayo, bacon bits, dill weed, and salt and pepper - all to taste. Sometimes I add egg. I have made it with red, or regular potatoes, both are good.

Actually, that is what I have been asked to bring for Easter dinner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I make a basic potatoe salad recipe and then I smash tomatoes in it and also add green pepper and some onion . that is fresh tomatoes and it is really good , even if I do say so myself . LOL !!!

Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,844 times
Default Here are a couple...

(Potato Salad 78 - Southern Potato Salad)

4 potatoes
4 eggs
½ stalk celery, chopped
¼ cup sweet relish
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
½ cup mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain and chop.
2. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water; peel and chop.
3. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, celery, sweet relish, garlic, mustard, mayonnaise and salt and pepper. Gently mix together and serve warm.

Yields 4 servings

Recipe from: Southern Potato Salad - All Recipes

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Salads and Salad Dressings 377 (Potato Salad 77 - Southern Living Best Potato Salad)

3 pounds red potatoes (with the skins left on)
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
3 green onions, chopped
½ red or green bell pepper, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
½ teaspoon black pepper
salt to taste

1. Combine potatoes and water to cover in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil, and cook 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
2. Stir together olive oil and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl, blending well. Add potatoes, onions, and remaining ingredients, gently tossing to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Yields 8 to 10 servings

Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 PM

24 posts, read 60,034 times
This is the one I use and it turns out great every time. I add black olives (chopped finely) and adjust the measurements to fit my needs. But you get the idea.

GMA Recipe: Patti's Potato Salad (http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/pattispotatosalad.shtml - broken link)

Enjoy!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:05 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,801 times
add garlic and onion powder as well as round onion, leave out mustard.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:51 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,654,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I make a basic potatoe salad recipe and then I smash tomatoes in it and also add green pepper and some onion . that is fresh tomatoes and it is really good , even if I do say so myself . LOL !!!
Once again, I'm amazed at all the different recipes there are! I am especially intrigued by yours, phonelady. It is like nothing I've ever seen. So, just to be sure, by "green pepper", do you mean "bell pepper"?

I can't wait to update my husband on all these various choices. Once the weather warms up, we'll be ready to start making potato salad again. Whoopee!

Thank you all!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:23 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,950,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Oh me oh my. I have to make potato salad for every family food gettogether. I fix it now from look & feel so I don't have exact measurements, but the ingredients I use are below. We like our potato salad moist, not too wet or dry.

Boiled red potatoes (I use most of a 5-lb bag or whatever fits well in a stock pot)
Boiled egg (4-6 I think, but I'm usually cooking for deviled eggs at the same time. I chop them in the food processor)
Chopped onion (1 large spanish type more or less to taste...some times they're too hot and I use less)
Sweet pickle relish (8oz jar...the middle sized one) Dump in the whole thing, don't drain.
Miracle Whip (several heaping tablespoons...maybe 4oz?)
Mayo (a couple of heaping tablespoons...maybe 2oz? because hubby likes mayo)
Mustard (one heaping tablespoon...just for color and a little zip)
Apple Cider Vinegar (one tablespoon more or less depends on whether you like tangy or sweet)
Salt (depends on the potato how much to add...I just sprinkle and taste test until I get it right)

This yields a large tupperware-type bowl full and feeds eight with enough for leftovers.

I hope this is close to correct. Next holiday, I'll try to remember to write down the ingredients...my daughter asks me for the recipe on a regular basis.
This sounds good. I prefer basic potato salad and this seems close to it. The only thing I like extra is bacon bits, that's it. My Mom put a bit of shredded carrots also. I've also mixed some FF sour cream with the vinegar and mayo to cut the fat.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
I boil red potatoes(about 5 Pounds), til fork tender. I then boil 12 eggs and let cool. I peel the eggs, add Hellman's Real Mayo(about a jar), chopped green onions, chopped celery, a Tablespoon of Breakstone's Sour Cream,2 or 3 Tablespoons of yellow mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Then add the dozen eggs. Peel the potatoes, and cube..add the wet ingredients and refrigerate.. I have used my Mom's recipe for years and people always ask me to make the Potato Salad.

That sounds just like my mother in laws recipe except she doesn't use green onions and celery. She uses very finely chopped Vidalia or sweet onions. She will ONLY use Hellman's REAL may (but not a whole jar). She makes sure she mixes the potatoes when they are hot - so her potato salad is not chunky but smooth, rich and delicious. Everyone raves over her salad, too.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 PM

59 posts, read 144,316 times
Default Potato Salad

4 - 5 large potatoes
1 med onion
2 - 3 Tbsp pickle juice or vinegar
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/2 - 1 tsp. hot peppers
1/2 - 1 tsp sugar (optional)
1 clove garlic (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 AM

11 posts, read 27,180 times
Default Potato Salad

Does anyone have a good potato salad recipe? I am looking for both a mustard recipe as well as a red royal one. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes