Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 02:39 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Thank you-I have a 3 ribber.

Friend of our's who owned a restaurant swore by that method-I remember him saying 180 deg for hours.
Yeah, the low temp is wonderful. All you need is a meat thermometer. And when it gets to your desired temp, it's done. Make sure you let it rest for at least 10 minutes before you cut it. That's hugely important. I waited 15 minutes and very little juice was left on the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 02:57 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Yes that and letting it get to room temp prior to cooking. New Yrs Day here I come!

Old 12-27-2009, 02:58 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,116 times
Thanks for all your tips. I cooked the 5 and a half pound roast.. 500 degrees for 10 minutes and turned it down to 350 for the next 2 hours..OMG..Turned out medium rare and was the best!!!!

Old 12-27-2009, 03:58 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Side note to this thread:

Food TV network host Alton Brown has a long episode about ovens and so forth. Point was infra-red heat from the walls of the oven are an important part of cooking large hunks of meat.

Oven needs to be cleaned before cooking the roast.

Grease, burned on food, and the like absorb infra-red heat rays.

Aside: In the Alton Brown TV episode, he covered the roasting Prime Rib with a very huge clay plant pot (new and clean of course) instead of cleaning a very old electric oven. The clay pot provided the reflected infra-red heat rays. This would work also on gas grills where cleaning the top (lid) of the gas grill may not be practical.

Phil

Old 12-27-2009, 07:21 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
I usually make a 4 rib roast, low and slow and comes out perfect!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
Default Rib Roast

I'm thinking about making a rib roast for Christmas Dinner.
I have been looking at different ways for cooking a restaurant quality peice of meat..

There seems to be different schools of thought on correct ways of cooking.
Some say to start at a high temp in the oven to sear and then lower the oven untill desired doneness is reached..Oven at 500 degrees to 300 degrees..
Still some say to pan sear then put in a low oven then a higher temp.. oven at 300 degrees to 450 degrees..

Then there is packing in coarse salt, rubbing with various herb pastes and so on..
I'm just looking for something simple like salt and pepper, maybe onion and garlic..
I want to get the taste of the meat without any other overpowering flavors..
I want a nice dark outside and a pink but not rare inside. Any suggestions will be appreciated..

I have cooked rib roasts in the past and they were good.. but i'm looking for over the top..

I have an electric oven and a proper meat thermometer..

Old 11-28-2010, 06:12 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
You are talking about a standing rib roast, right?
This is the site I've used and mine looked as beautiful as the pictures posted & was juicy and cut "like butta".
There's alot of info here, but basic instructions are further down on the left. Sounds like a terrific idea, Cal1.

Chart for Roasting Prime Rib (Standing Rib Roast)

How to cook a perfect prime rib, Prime Rib Roast whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ClassicPrimeRib.htm

Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
DH's aunt makes a standing rib roast every Christmas. She cooks it at a high temperature for an hour or so and then turns off the oven for several hours to let it cook. I don't have specifics, but that is the gist. Oh and she just salt with pepper and some herbs.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
I've never done a bone-in rib roast, always a boneless rib roast and I'd suggest choice cut, select is sub par on this cut, imho.

I've also always done them on the smoker, so take this all for what it's worth to ya.

I've never done a salt crust, friend has and said the first he messed up and was way too salty and the other was not any different than regular.(His also was on a smoker).

I've tried fresh herbs(thyme/rosemary/etc) and I've tried dried. Tried garlic studded, evoo, dales steak seasoning, worchest, marinades, etc. Only thing I haven't tried is dry aged, but I hope will happen this winter.
I've done many this time of yr for people for Christmas and everyone likes the basic. The fancy stuff just coats the outside and doesn't really get into the meat since it is so thick. IMHO, the best way is to cross-hatch the fat cap just to the meat, no more. Then rub all sides w/worchest or dales steak marinade(mix of soy sauce and worchest, + some other stuff). I then put alot of k.salt on (I do one side at a time), then I put on a somewhat fine ground black pepper and I put it on thick, all black. I'll then add garlic pwder to coat thin and add some Tony C's cajun rub/shake. This all adds a nice crust, and sometimes I'll add even more pepper after the tony c's. Pepper is really good w/beef. Brisket and this cut gets as much as I can put on.

Then it is on the smoker at 225-250*. I personally like 225, but to be honest...I don't know if there is much difference in 225-275. I have a meat prob that stays in and reads the temp to me on the outside so I don't have to open up the smoker and I go until it hits 10* below what people what the finished product at. Then it go's into an alum foil pan w/a tent of foil to rest. Then sliced after a good hr or so of rest and back into same pan.

Gotta keep it simple on a cut w/plenty of flavor, imho. Smoke does add a nice flavor if you can do it. It's like add'n salt or pepper, just an "ingredient".

Good luck

Old 11-29-2010, 05:57 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
I guess I'm a lot more primitive than most of you. Whether it is standing or not, I like to brown at a high temperature, then slow roast to the desired temperature, when done, let it rest while you use the drippings for aux jus or gravy ( I like roasting potatoes in the pan with the meat). I don't salt it in the oven, I either salt as it is resting or I let the people salt it on the table.....no salt, no pepper, garlic, onion, rosemary.....nothing. Just the flavor of the beef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes