Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:58 AM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,436,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
OK..this sounds so good. This will be a "have-to-have" dinner! Since it's only my husband and myself perhaps I could cut the rib roast in half and freeze the other half for a future dinner?? Seems I have to cut every other recipe in half now that our kids are grown. And of course the cooking time would have to be adjusted--good old meat thermometers! Now with the veggie dish--could I use pearl onions in the produce section? Seems the cooking time would be close to the same as the other ingredients.

And cil....you are so right about not opening these threads about recipes when hungry! Bad idea. Now I want to make everything I see.
I don't see, why the pearl onions wouldn't work..........but have to admit, that I haven't tried the fresh ones yet. (But, I will now...LOL....just to find out....lol.)
If it's just you and your husband, I would stick with a 2 ribs, rib roast (you want it cut at your butcher shop from the so called "small end"...which is really the "large end"....lol.....meat business slang, sometimes very confusing....sorry.)
If the price is right, go ahead and take more, freezing whatever you don't need.
Another helpful hint....when you buy Prime Rib/ Standing Rib Roast....have them take the BONE OFF, but TIE back on.
This way, you STILL get the taste and moisture from the bone, but once it's done, just cut the strings, take the whole bone away, and voila....slice it right down, serve it WITHOUT wrestling with a bone. (Especially, when you have guests....it's faster, cleaner and easier!)
I have done it like this for years.....and turned MANY customers of mine into doing the same thing.
It's just the practical way of going about it, without any sacrifice in taste, texture, moisture or changing the integrity of the roast.
Also, even though the Beef Tenderloin roast is rated much more exquisite and expensive....it's a more tricky meat/ roast to prepare, because it's a very lean piece of meat to begin with, and doesn't get the moisture from the fat of the out or inside (unlike the Rib Roast).
Also, if wanting to make an impression on guests.....the Rib Roast has such a presence on the table....you WILL be the talk of the town, and you WILL get compliments for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 01:49 PM

104 posts, read 338,791 times
Default anyone have a recipe for a beef rib roast?

DH bought the wrong roast but I don't want it to go to waste since it was $16. Any ideas on how to cook it? Thank you!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:02 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,861,348 times
What kind of roast? Rib roast boneless?

Old 01-07-2008, 05:17 PM

104 posts, read 338,791 times
it is not boneless and it says angus beef rib roast???? not sure

Old 01-07-2008, 05:46 PM

Season well with salt/pepper/garlic. Depending on weight (?) I would do 350 for 1 1/2 hrs. What Is the weight?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 PM

563 posts, read 2,571,048 times
I just cooked a 3.75 lb (give to take a few) first cut rib roast for christmas. The difference between a first cut rib roast and an angus rib roast or just a regular rib roast is the area of the cow where the cut is from. Regular angus rib roasts come from closer to the shoulder of the angus cow. The first cut is just from a different side. Anyway, It came out great. I suggest 15 minutes per pound at 350...season with salt, pepper, or whatever seasonings you prefer. I put onions and carrots around it. Mine was on the bone so after cooking the time frame needed, I cut it into chops inch to inch and a 1/4 and placed my future mother in laws in for some more time as she prefers well done and I prefer medium rare. Its actually relatively easy to cook but is intimidating if u never cooked something like it before.

PS. Mine was a smaller one with three ribs....the bigger they are the more time it will take....prob cost around 16-20 bucks...5.99 lb.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,247,151 times
rib roasts are awesome,,,also called prime rib, or standing rib (bone in) angus , black angus, and certified angus (best of the angus's) usually means "choice" which is the second best grade of beef thier is,,behind prime..
id roast it uncovered, season, then roast 18-20 mins per lb at 350, let it "set" for at least 15 mins before carving,,
if using a thermometer, take it out of the oven at 130, let it set,,it will heat to 138-140 degrees, thats on the medium-rare side,,,,the best flavor,,
good luck!!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:55 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,063,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
rib roasts are awesome,,,also called prime rib, or standing rib (bone in) angus , black angus, and certified angus (best of the angus's) usually means "choice" which is the second best grade of beef thier is,,behind prime..
id roast it uncovered, season, then roast 18-20 mins per lb at 350, let it "set" for at least 15 mins before carving,,
if using a thermometer, take it out of the oven at 130, let it set,,it will heat to 138-140 degrees, thats on the medium-rare side,,,,the best flavor,,
good luck!!
I'd roast for the first 15-20 mins at your oven's hottest temp, then turn down to 350 for rest of the time.

I second the meat thermometer trick- it's the only way to get the meat how you like it if you're not so experienced and definitely let it rest once out of the oven for 15 mins. Much juicier. Yum.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM

323 posts, read 993,673 times
I have used this recipe...

Boneless Prime Rib w/ Garlic and Rosemary and Red Wine Mushroom Sauce

1 boneless rib roast----the bone in is fine it makes it more tender. 5lbs
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS salt
2 Tablespoons ground pepper
8 large garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS minced fresh rosemary, plus 1/2 tsp for the sauce
1 cup of chicken broth
1/4 cup red wine, that you like to drink...I have a glass to make sure it's good..
1 TBS dijon mustard
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbs water

I let roast come to room temp.

Adjust oven rack to center postion and heat oven to 250 degrees. Heat a large (12 inch) skillet over med-high heat. Rub roast on all sides with oil, salt and pepper. Turn on exhaust fan, add roast to hot skillet, and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer roast to a plate. When cool enough to handle, rub garlic and rosemary all over.

Meanwhile, pour off all but 2 TBS of the beef drippings. Add mushrooms to hot skillet and saute until well browned about 8 minutes. Mix broth, wine...better drink another glass to make sure it's still good....and add mustard, add mixture to mushrooms and simmer to blend flavors and reduce slightly, about 3 minutes. Pour mushroom sauce into a bowl; set aside.

Set a wire rack over the skillet, and set roast on rack or use a regular roasting pan with a V-rack. Slow-roast meat (250) in oven 2/12 to 3 hours, until meat reaches internal temp of 135 for med-rare to 140 deg for med.

Transfer roast to a cutting board, and remove rack from skillet or pan. Pour off excess fat, if any. Set skillet or pan over med-high heat, return mushroom sauce to pan and heat to a simmer. Add cornstarch and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about a minute. Carve meat and serve with the sauce.

My dad was a butcher and recommends cutting a bone in roast before cooking along the bone lines a little to loosen them up so it's easier to carve when roast is cooked.

Awesome Horseradish Sauce

3/4 cup good mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons sour cream
Kosher salt

Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustards, horseradish, sour cream, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Serve at room temperature.

Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 11:21 AM

Made that horseradish cream sauce for our prime rib New Year's Day-it was delicious.

We had a 3 ribber-dinner NYr's, leftover next day then made beef barley soup with rest-that was 2 nights plus 4 large containers in freezer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes