Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:47 PM

19,989 posts, read 30,475,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
I have used this recipe...

Boneless Prime Rib w/ Garlic and Rosemary and Red Wine Mushroom Sauce

1 boneless rib roast----the bone in is fine it makes it more tender. 5lbs
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS salt
2 Tablespoons ground pepper
8 large garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS minced fresh rosemary, plus 1/2 tsp for the sauce
1 cup of chicken broth
1/4 cup red wine, that you like to drink...I have a glass to make sure it's good..
1 TBS dijon mustard
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbs water

I let roast come to room temp.

Adjust oven rack to center postion and heat oven to 250 degrees. Heat a large (12 inch) skillet over med-high heat. Rub roast on all sides with oil, salt and pepper. Turn on exhaust fan, add roast to hot skillet, and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer roast to a plate. When cool enough to handle, rub garlic and rosemary all over.

Meanwhile, pour off all but 2 TBS of the beef drippings. Add mushrooms to hot skillet and saute until well browned about 8 minutes. Mix broth, wine...better drink another glass to make sure it's still good....and add mustard, add mixture to mushrooms and simmer to blend flavors and reduce slightly, about 3 minutes. Pour mushroom sauce into a bowl; set aside.

Set a wire rack over the skillet, and set roast on rack or use a regular roasting pan with a V-rack. Slow-roast meat (250) in oven 2/12 to 3 hours, until meat reaches internal temp of 135 for med-rare to 140 deg for med.

Transfer roast to a cutting board, and remove rack from skillet or pan. Pour off excess fat, if any. Set skillet or pan over med-high heat, return mushroom sauce to pan and heat to a simmer. Add cornstarch and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about a minute. Carve meat and serve with the sauce.

My dad was a butcher and recommends cutting a bone in roast before cooking along the bone lines a little to loosen them up so it's easier to carve when roast is cooked.

Awesome Horseradish Sauce

3/4 cup good mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons sour cream
Kosher salt

Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustards, horseradish, sour cream, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Serve at room temperature.

Good Luck!
hiya jen, great post!! it use to be customery to "crack the bone" in many roasts, particularly bone in pork roasts,,,most bone in rib roast are "boned and tied" cut the meat from the bone, and tie back on,,,when done just cut the strings, remove roast from on top of bones, and start carving.

the rib consists of 7 ribs, 1-4 ribs is considered the small end,,4-7 is considered the large end, the 4-7 ribs has the vein of kernel fat in the middle,,personally,,thats my fav end,,more flavor,,
yrs ago, thier use to be a much larger "cap" left on the rib,,very marbled, full of flavor,,but now most dont have them,,,consumer demand for leaner meats.
rib-eye steak, delmonico steak are pretty much the same thing, taken from the rib,,same place as rib roasts,
the large end of the 7-rib connects to the chuck,,the small end to the short-loin, where t-bones and porterhouse steaks come from and sirloin strip steaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 PM

69 posts, read 255,256 times
Default Rib Roast so Cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&KsMom View Post
DH bought the wrong roast but I don't want it to go to waste since it was $16. Any ideas on how to cook it? Thank you!
You actually bought a "Rib Roast" for $16.00? Where, might I ask? A rib roast (bone in) that will feed 4 people usually costs in the neighborhood of $35.00. If you only paid $16.00, you got a whale of a bargain!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 PM

440 posts, read 1,697,993 times
Default Rib Roast Help...

I bought a rib roast.. hate to overcook it!! I tried the method of heating the oven and then turning it off.. didn't work for me.. Any suggestions on how to cook the PERFECT prime rib.. medium rare????????

Old 12-23-2009, 09:07 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,125,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
I bought a rib roast.. hate to overcook it!! I tried the method of heating the oven and then turning it off.. didn't work for me.. Any suggestions on how to cook the PERFECT prime rib.. medium rare????????

This was my mother's fail-proof way of cooking prime rib:

assuming dinner is at 7pm (adjust as needed depending on serving time)

at 3pm preheat oven to 375
cook prime rib at 375 for one hour
turn oven OFF and DO NOT OPEN OVEN
45 min before serving turn oven back on at 300

* we liked our meat a little more on the rare side of medium rare so I would suggest cooking the meat at 300 for an additional 10-15 minutes and slicing to test after the meat rests

Hope that helps but I don't know if it differs from the way you tried it. The meat should NOT be frozen when you start.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:31 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,295,438 times
Here's a nice video that should help for a boneless roast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERjClX--2ho

And here's a great one for a bone in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXPBjXFIbgI

Old 12-24-2009, 04:15 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,923,924 times
Never put it in the oven right from the refrig. Let it sit out an hour prior to cooking.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:43 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,183,707 times
Should I try it on the gas grill?
I am tempted.
Ours isn't that big--just about 4 pounds.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:47 AM

BWP-you could but off heat if you have a 2 burner.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,183,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
BWP-you could but off heat if you have a 2 burner.
Thanks Lacey.
I think I am just going to use the oven this year.
We have oysters that I would like to put on the grill, and I would hate to somehow mess up the beef roast.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:35 AM

That's a hunk of change to mess up. Merry Christmas BWP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes