Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:49 AM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times

Advertisements

jkmewright....here's my recipe, and hope, anyone trying it, will be happy with it, just as much as I am.
It's NOT hard...because I keep on hearing from people, that they are shy of making a Standing Rib Roast, because they think it is complicated, and they will mess it up.
Beef Rib Roast or also Prime Rib, is one of the most forgiving roasts you can cook. It has sufficient fat on....so, even if you do cook it longer, it will never end up dry, and tasteless.
Start cooking with a meat thermometer....I highly and strongly recommend it, since every ones oven is different!

Here it is.....

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
3 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme, divided
1/4 cup = 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
7-8 lbs. standing rib roast
1 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
olive oil
4 shallots, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
20 oz mushrooms (shiitake or reg....any you like, create a good mix out of different ones) stems off, sliced
1/2 cup madeira, sherry or a good red whine
3/4 cup beef broth
1 tbsp. cornstarch
Left over, additional fresh herbs (optional)

Preheat oven to 450F.
Combine parsley, rosemary and 2 tbsp. thyme.
Rub mustard over fat side of beef roast; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt.
Press fresh herb mix over mustard.
Place meat on rack set in roasting pan. Place meat in oven; reduce temperature to 350F.
Roast until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 135F (for medium rare), approx, 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Transfer to platter, let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium- high heat. Add shallots, garlic,; cook, stirring until mixture is slightly browned, approx, 1 minute.
Stir in mushrooms, and salt, stirring until they soften, approx. 4 minutes.
Stir in madeira, sherry or red wine and thyme, cook until most liquid is absorbed, approx. 3 min.
Stir in beef broth, boil about 3 minutes.
Stir together cornstarch and 1 tbsp. water.
Add to mushroom mixture, bring to a boil.
Cook until thick, approx. 1 min.
Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired!

BTW....I had tried this recipe with Beef Tenderloin as well (cooking time and temperature needs to be adjusted though (keep that in mind!)......WITH THE SAME EXCELLENT RESULTS!
It tastes like something you would get in a 5 star exquisite restaurant.
I would say that the prep time for roast and sauce is about 30 to 40 minutes.
Enjoy.....y'all, and let me know how you guys liked it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:56 AM

And here's a recipe for a veggie dish to go with the roast...
Golden Glazed Carrots, Turnip & Onions

1 1/2 lbs. white turnips, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch wedges, about 4 cups
8 oz. mini peeled carrots, about 2 cups
2 cups frozen small whole onions, thawed
1/4 cup butter
3 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

In large, deep skillet over medium heat, combine 1 cup water with turnips, carrots, onions, butter, sugar, salt and pepper.
Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently until most liquid is absorbed, about 30 min.
Stir in coriander and nutmeg, cook until veggies are tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Transfer to bowl, serve.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 PM

859 posts, read 2,149,109 times
omg that sounds soooooooooooo good

Old 11-27-2007, 03:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Note to self: Do not open threads like this when hungry.

I agree about the meat thermometer. My new oven seems to be a lot hotter than my former one back in Denver.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:37 PM

187 posts, read 589,368 times
Oh, yum! Make my egg salad sandwich seem pretty blah!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:16 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Sounds wonderful. I will get a second mortgage on the house so I can afford an 8 lb rib roast

Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Sounds wonderful. I will get a second mortgage on the house so I can afford an 8 lb rib roast
During the holidays, the Rib Roasts are usually on sale (I know in PA and here in FL we ran them on sale for $4.99 lb in PA, and here in FL $5.99 and $7.99 lb )
So, not to bad....if you can get it now for a good price, go ahead, and freeze it!
Just make sure, it is covered good with approved freezer paper, so it doesn't freezer burn.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
During the holidays, the Rib Roasts are usually on sale (I know in PA and here in FL we ran them on sale for $4.99 lb in PA, and here in FL $5.99 and $7.99 lb )
So, not to bad....if you can get it now for a good price, go ahead, and freeze it!
Just make sure, it is covered good with approved freezer paper, so it doesn't freezer burn.
Good Idea, I will keep an eye out for sales. >LOVE prime rib ( and I dont eat meat often)

Old 11-30-2007, 02:08 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,837 times
mmm mmm mmm... I'll do prep if I get to eat at the big peoples table.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:23 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
OK..this sounds so good. This will be a "have-to-have" dinner! Since it's only my husband and myself perhaps I could cut the rib roast in half and freeze the other half for a future dinner?? Seems I have to cut every other recipe in half now that our kids are grown. And of course the cooking time would have to be adjusted--good old meat thermometers! Now with the veggie dish--could I use pearl onions in the produce section? Seems the cooking time would be close to the same as the other ingredients.

And cil....you are so right about not opening these threads about recipes when hungry! Bad idea. Now I want to make everything I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes