Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:57 PM

768 posts, read 943,290 times

Advertisements

I'm going to stuff my freezer full!!! USDA choice grade! Which would you get more of, which is the better deal to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 12:59 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,715 times
The beef tenderloin without a doubt. That is a STEAL!!! There are places in NYC where it is over $25 per pound. Grab it up!!! Lucky you ....

Old 02-27-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
The beef tenderloin without a doubt. That is a STEAL!!! There are places in NYC where it is over $25 per pound. Grab it up!!! Lucky you ....
Thanks! I've never made a rib roast before, but 5 a pound I might have to snag one of them too!

Old 02-27-2010, 01:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,715 times
Without a doubt! It's funny, I was numbly watching TV one day last week and it was that Christopher Kimball of Test Kitchen. They were cooking the beef tenderloin. And Thinkin about it, if you could have seen the way he praised that cut of meat, you would double your purchase right now! And here is a tip from that show - do NOT sear the meat before roasting it - sear it AFTER it is done roasting. It looked beautiful. Also, she gave it like a butter bath prior to roasting (other than salt and pepper - that was all they used). She rubbed like 2 tablespoons of butter over the loin, and let it sit for 30-60 (??) minutes. It actually took on a sheen to the meat after it had been left standing. Eat well, my friend!!! I'm VERY jealous!

Old 02-27-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Without a doubt! It's funny, I was numbly watching TV one day last week and it was that Christopher Kimball of Test Kitchen. They were cooking the beef tenderloin. And Thinkin about it, if you could have seen the way he praised that cut of meat, you would double your purchase right now! And here is a tip from that show - do NOT sear the meat before roasting it - sear it AFTER it is done roasting. It looked beautiful. Also, she gave it like a butter bath prior to roasting (other than salt and pepper - that was all they used). She rubbed like 2 tablespoons of butter over the loin, and let it sit for 30-60 (??) minutes. It actually took on a sheen to the meat after it had been left standing. Eat well, my friend!!! I'm VERY jealous!
This may be the greatest post in the history of the internet.

I want to go get it right now.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:46 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Tenderloin would be my last choice as it has a lot less taste than the other cuts mentioned above. The Strip loin is probably the best deal, but I would prefer having the bones.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Tenderloin would be my last choice as it has a lot less taste than the other cuts mentioned above. The Strip loin is probably the best deal, but I would prefer having the bones.
Thank you! I can't determine what I like best, I'm a big weirdo. Sometimes I eat a ribeye and think "This cannot be topped." But other times there is just too "stuff" you have to get around, and I don't like my meal turned into an anatomy class. Strip steak I haven't had much experience with. Filet, I agree, could be more flavorful, but to me it's the best all purpose cut. For a ribeye it's just salt and pepper, but if you get something sexy together for flavor on a tenderloin, the texture can't be beat IMO. No nasty bits of hunkin' fat to dig around, which I hate.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:55 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
I'd buy all of them. Those are good prices!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:42 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,323,004 times
I'm just partial to beef tenderloin. Cooked just right, don't even need a knife-just like butter! But we don't eat that much beef.

For me-I always go with least amount of fat-if your younger go with more marbeling.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:27 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
I'm going to stuff my freezer full!!! USDA choice grade! Which would you get more of, which is the better deal to you?
None of them.

Up here in expensive CT, it isn't difficult for me to find sales on those cuts in Angus grade for less than the prices that you're listing for Choice. I just purchased a semi-boneless Angus rib roast at $3.98/lb. yesterday actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink