Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:35 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times

Advertisements

If you wanted "Roast beef" for dinner, and maybe some sandwiches later - what cut would you purchase?

When I used to buy meat at the grocery store, my favorite deli roast beef was Boar's Head "Deluxe Cap-Off Top Round Roast Beef". I do not know what they mean by "cap-off" but I'm guessing the cut is a 'Top Round' roast.

A little investigation says Top Round is "A thick beefsteak cut from the inside muscle of the upper portion of the rear leg (the round primal)." Also sometimes called a London Broil.

I'm guessing that "Eye of Round" is also taken from the rear leg round primal?

The reason I ask - as some of your know, I get my beef directly from a farmer who sells at the Raleigh Farmer's market. He's a nice guy, but he loves to talk and sometimes he can get a little distracted. I had wanted a roast to make roast beef in my rotisserie. I asked for an Eye of Round, because I'd made them that way before and had good luck. He helped me pick a nice one from his freezer. It wasn't until I opened it that I noticed it said "London Broil" on the package. I thought maybe he had grabbed the wrong roast, and wasn't sure if it would turn out well. I'm knowledgeable on my rib and loin primals, but not so much the round.

Well I'm here to tell you that it turned out freakin' great. It was probably the best roast beef I've ever made, and the leftovers are so good cold that it's scary. I guess London Broil and Eye of round are close enough, but next time I'm going to ask about top round for sure.

Anyone know what Boar's Head means by "Cap off"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
If I were cooking a roast for dinner, I would use a sirloin tip roast. I like to put some potatoes and carrots in with it. cook it medium rare to medium. slice leftovers and warm up. this way, when re-heated, it is not overdone. sirloin tip is typically more tender than the round.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:04 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Eye of round is the least used inner muscle of the back leg and therefore the most tender part of the round. It's literally inside the round. A very lean cut of beef. Often markets will take it out of the round slice and sell it as eye round steak. It also makes excellent cubed steak. Eye round roasts are also very good if care is taken in cooking not to dry them out.

Not sure about the cap off term. Been to many moons since I cut meat. Back then the term London Broil was not even used as round stead or roast was still just that without the marketing hype....

Old 09-18-2008, 09:36 AM

Yep, from what I understand London Broil was never meant to signify a cut, but rather a cooking method, and it can be flank steak, top round, or center round.

And sirloin - sure, that would be ****, but that's another couple of bucks a pound, and this was just a weekday dinner. It's not the most tender meat ever, but I sliced it on the bias, across grain and thin - plus it's nice and rare.

Random fact: Harris Teeter brand prepared horseradish is WIMPY. I think my mom always bought Yoder's - need to get some, this HT stuff isn't worth taking up space in my fridge.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
I have eaten and enjoyed most all the cuts of beef. As the years have passed I've acquired a liking for slow cooked chuck roasts the best I think. I know the round and sirloin is leaner but the chuck cooked right is just better to me. My all time favorite is thinly slice brisket that's been grilled over charcoal. I'm not sure if it is technically a roast but to me any large cut that is not steak sized is a roast. Not being a fan of rare meat the front quarter just stays more moist for me.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:21 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times
I like bottom of the round rump. Usually I do a rub and slice garlic and put it inside the roast. Let that sit all day and I like to cook it three different ways...One on the rotisserie (which is the best) in the oven on 325 or just place it right on the grill covered...Don't touch it until it is done as the juices stay right inside.

IMO Eye of the Round doesn't have the flavor I like.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Usually I do a rub and slice garlic and put it inside the roast. Let that sit all day....
What do use for a rub; or is that a secret you take to your grave?

Possibly part of the reason this turned out so well was that I did a spice rub and parked it in the fridge overnight, but it was sort of by accident. My wife - bless her soul, she gets paranoid that she's not going to put the roast on the spit correctly. So I started putting the meat on the spit for her the night before, then spice it up and wrap it in plastic wrap.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 AM

Nope I never mind sharing my secrets. I use garlic powder, black pepper, a little cajun spice (not too much) and a touch of seasoned salt. Mix it up and sprinkle on the meat and then rub it in. Pop in a gallon ziploc bag and refrigerate until you want to cook it. Sometimes I will do this the night before.

I also do this when I roast a chicken only without the garlic slices.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 AM

Sounds great!

Mine was rosemary, a generic Italian seasoning mix that I'm trying to use up, kosher salt, garlic powder and fresh ground pepper.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 AM

That too sounds great. I think everything tastes great this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink