Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,490,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
What do you mean by let the meat "sit" for a few hours? Will it make me sick? Salmonella? For some reason I'm paranoid about getting bacteria? I've been sick before...
You must let a roast like this "rest" for 20-30 minutes to allow the juices to thicken, so they are retained by the meat. If you carve immediately the juices just flow out to the carving board.

Very long "rest times", in my opinion, are trying to make up for a lack of precision in cooking. If you use a good thermometer the mystery evaporates, and you can cook the roast exactly the way you want it to be.

Food poisoning at this point would be extremely unlikely, without some form of cross-contamination happening from another source. But yes, 2 hours later that roast should be headed for the refrigerator or back into the oven for a reheat.

Quote:
What would you cook as a side? I was thinking some form of potato, asparagus sauteed, Caesar salad.
Rice pilaf, oven roasted brussels sprouts, sauteed carrots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 AM

32,694 posts, read 48,238,918 times
Quote:
What do you mean by let the meat "sit" for a few hours?
No, you don't rest the meat for a few hours. You pull it out of the oven and wait 15-20 minutes before you carve it. it will actually continue to cook a bit in the middle, so pull it out with the interior a few degrees below what you want the final degree of done-ness to be. Let it rest for a short time and you will lose less juice as you carve.

It will not ruin your roast if you carve it straight out of the oven, but accept my advice and allow it to rest for about 15-20 minutes before you cut into it. It's an expensive roast, you might as well get the very best you can out of it.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,797,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No, you don't rest the meat for a few hours. You pull it out of the oven and wait 15-20 minutes before you carve it.
Not true and all depends on the cooking method. See my post #11. I cooked a huge ribeye every Saturday for 16 years at my restaurant using this method and it was foolproof.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,948,962 times
Quote:
What do you mean by let the meat "sit" for a few hours? Will it make me sick? Salmonella? For some reason I'm paranoid about getting bacteria? I've been sick before...
What would you cook as a side?
I was thinking some form of potato, asparagus sauteed, Caesar salad.
Any good Caesar dressings?
No, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. The idea is to bring the meat to room temp before roasting. That can be an hour in some cases or a little longer in other cases. We are having twice baked potatoes with ours. I have already done the baking and refilling. They are enjoying themselves in the fridge right now. Yes, Caesar salad is a good choice, we are doing the same and our daughter is bringing the vegetable. If we had our choice it would be Asparagus but our son in law can't stand it, so I am guessing we will be eating broccoli.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,948,962 times
Default the best prime rib

Just thought I would let everyone know about our Prime Rib last night: as most of you know, I do love to cook and love to do it from scratch, but I did buy the Prime rib (actually boneless rib eye roast) from Sam's. it came complete, in an aluminum pan, with all the herbs and spices. All I had to do was pop it in the oven.Except for leaving it cooking a few minutes too long, it had to be the best I have ever had and you could cut it with a fork. We did cut it with forks as a matter of fact. There were 5 adults, all loving meat eating it and we did not even eat 1/2 of it: so there is a lot left for yummy sandwhiches...Just thought you might all want to know, if you get tempted to pick one up sometime and don't know it will be good or not.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM

20,971 posts, read 28,508,718 times
Standing Rib Roast Recipe : Anne Burrell : Recipes : Food Network I made this one last year and I am making it again for tomorrow night's dinner. It comes out fabulous!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,779,864 times
Default Help !! Crown Rib Roast 17 Bones!!

I was fortunate enough to find this at the commissary for 1.69 a lb. So tomorrow is my B- day and I have company coming. I have been unable to locate the recipe where you cook a short while and turn it off, then wait and cook a while longer. Also there is a controversy as whether to salt or not to salt!! Just how long do the CD er experts suggest I cook this beauty? It is 14.12 lbs I prefer medium rare..

Thank you in advance!!!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,547,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I was fortunate enough to find this at the commissary for 1.69 a lb. So tomorrow is my B- day and I have company coming. I have been unable to locate the recipe where you cook a short while and turn it off, then wait and cook a while longer. Also there is a controversy as whether to salt or not to salt!! Just how long do the CD er experts suggest I cook this beauty? It is 14.12 lbs I prefer medium rare..

Thank you in advance!!!
I've made this one before and it turned out well. Happy Birthday!!! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/special...wn-pork-roast/

Be sure to use the calculator to double it!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:15 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,779,864 times
will this work for beef?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,620,938 times
You need a meat thermometer. Medium rare is in the 135-140F range, but you'll need to take the meat out at about 5 degrees lower because the temp will still rise while the roast rests. It will be about 15 minutes per pound, at 300 degrees, so figure 3.5 hours for cooking and another 15 or so minutes to rest before serving, plus 10 minutes for a quick run under very high heat after resting (450-500) to brown/crisp the exterior . Plus you'll need to take it out of the fridge about an hour before it goes in the oven so the chill will come off. I do like to salt my meat as it makes it more yummy, and I would do that tonight, then rub off the excess salt using paper towels when you take it out of the fridge tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes