Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 AM

20,956 posts, read 28,491,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Pork should be cooked to 145 degrees, not to 130 as posted above. The former guidelines were for 160 degrees but that was lowered a couple years ago.
OOPs I forgot that the OP roast was pork I thought it was beef
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 04:09 PM

107 posts, read 164,343 times
Default Standing Rib Roast

What are some ways to cook this? Like seasoning etc ~

Old 12-18-2013, 04:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,751,279 times
I always use Paula Dean's recipe and that whole DO NOT OPEN is the key....every year this comes out awesome!! In fact making this for hubby as a romantic Christmas dinner.

Just remember that her season mix is for a whole jar full and use the what she stated for the prime rib. Same as seasoning as salt and pepper would normally be.

This is fool proof and always in our house works great! Three years in a row!

Foolproof Standing Rib Roast Recipe : Paula Deen : Recipes : Food Network

Making a thread about this soon!

Old 12-19-2013, 02:33 PM

I use Anne Burrell's recipe:Standing Rib Roast Recipe : Anne Burrell : Recipes : Food Network
comes out perfect every time. In fact I have one in my freezer which I plan to make soon.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:46 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,278,373 times
cook 325 18 minutes per lb..

if you like rare take out at 130, if you like medium rare take out at 135 if you like medium take out at 140

let roast set for 15-20 minutes before carving-the roast will still cook 7-10 degrees after you remove

if you really like rare,,,remove from oven at 125

serving size- usually around 1-1.5lbs per serving depending on how many adults -if many kids,,,1lb per serving is about right - this is for bone in- for boneless, figure 1/2-3/4lb per person

do not cover roast-(tinfoil)this is very important- if you cover the roast, it steams it and tastes more like a chuck roast

i like oiling the roast up with garlic oil- then make a rub of salt/pepper/garlic or onion powder- and light on the rosemary
rub on the roast ,,,

oh yes,,,bring the roast to room temp before you cook it...

most people reference a "prime rib" as a rib-eye roast bone in -and some folks call and ask for a boneless prime rib,,
a standing rib is usually a bone in rib eye roast

ask the butcher to bone and tie for easier carving (taking the roast off the feather bones and tie back on- once cooked , cut the string,,,take the roast off the bones and slice (carve)
these roasts can be pricey depending on grade

a couple other roasts are good too the sirloin strip roast,,,or a top-butt sirloin roast-also known as a spoon and holiday roast
these are leaner, cheaper, but still fairly tender and tasty

pork is cheap this year-crown roasts or center cut roasts

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 12-19-2013 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 03:55 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,229,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
cook 325 18 minutes per lb..

if you like rare take out at 130, if you like medium rare take out at 135 if you like medium take out at 140

let roast set for 15-20 minutes before carving-the roast will still cook 7-10 degrees after you remove

if you really like rare,,,remove from oven at 125

serving size- usually around 1-1.5lbs per serving depending on how many adults -if many kids,,,1lb per serving is about right - this is for bone in- for boneless, figure 1/2-3/4lb per person

do not cover roast-(tinfoil)this is very important- if you cover the roast, it steams it and tastes more like a chuck roast

i like oiling the roast up with garlic oil- then make a rub of salt/pepper/garlic or onion powder- and light on the rosemary
rub on the roast ,,,

oh yes,,,bring the roast to room temp before you cook it...

most people reference a "prime rib" as a rib-eye roast bone in -and some folks call and ask for a boneless prime rib,,
a standing rib is usually a bone in rib eye roast

ask the butcher to bone and tie for easier carving (taking the roast off the feather bones and tie back on- once cooked , cut the string,,,take the roast off the bones and slice (carve)

these roasts can be pricey depending on grade

a couple other roasts are good too the sirloin strip roast,,,or a top-butt sirloin roast-also known as a spoon and holiday roast
these are leaner, cheaper, but still fairly tender and tasty
Use the same seasonings here for my rib roast! S/P rubbed on with some EVOO and garlic..I use this Old
cookbook my mom had for the timing, and it comes out MONEY every time.
Nice and crispy on the outside and red (but not rare) in the middle..I let it stand for at least 20 minutes before i cut the roast..Enjoy your holiday meals all!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:23 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,305,883 times
When seasoning a rib roast, simple is best. You don’t need much more than salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic. One very useful ingredient however is Kosher salt. Because it is half as dense as table salt (i.e., 1 tablespoon of table salt = 2 tablespoons of Kosher salt), it is easier to spread evenly and can create a nice crust. Note: rock salt or sea salt are not the same as Kosher salt. If you use them in the same proportions it recipes will be much too salty.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:53 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
My hint for standing rib roast: get the one with the boines and after it is cooked, cut the bones off with a generous layer of meat left on them. Put the bones away for later.

Carve up the rib eye and serve it.

Next day or so, put those meaty bones onto the grill to warm them up and coat with your favorite BBQ sauce. You will have the very best barbecue ribs, ever.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,751,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My hint for standing rib roast: get the one with the boines and after it is cooked, cut the bones off with a generous layer of meat left on them. Put the bones away for later.

Carve up the rib eye and serve it.

Next day or so, put those meaty bones onto the grill to warm them up and coat with your favorite BBQ sauce. You will have the very best barbecue ribs, ever.
Thank you! I usually save the bones for a beef stock, but would love them this way as well.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:37 PM

Default standing rib roast recipe

Standing Rib Roast Recipe : Anne Burrell : Food Network This will be my 3rd year in a row using this recipe. I am making it for dinner on New Years day. It hasn't failed me yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes