Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Tiger View Post
How to commute by rail from your house to your workplace or shopping/school/hospital? At least, you still need to drive to a rail station, park there, then take the rail, arrive at a rail station which is next to your workplace/shopping/school/hospital, then either walk or take taxi to your final destination.

Unless like Tokyo or New York City, which already have networked public transportation (that means at any spot there is a public transportation station which is 10 to 15 minutes walk away), there is no way for average Americans to use commute by rail.

Think about how small the average house/apartment is in Tokyo or New York city, you will never like the idea of rail.
I was car free in Charlotte by choice and now in DC. The near 20 miles of rail in clt with the bus system being completed reconfigured from a centralized bus hub uptown to a decentralized bus system utilizing each light rail station as mini bus hubs. DC already operates like that.

Charlotte’s revamped bus routes that now has way more cross town routes with an endpoint at ightrail stations

DC bus routes do the same generally terminating and originating at metro stops

DC/Baltimore commuter rail and metro and planned light rail map:

I think there’s wayyyy more people than New Yorkers who use mass transit daily and it’s convenient for them than you realize. I’m nearly certain mass transit had 0 to do with Austin being chosen, I think it was due to talent and culture (it’s a hip, cool place, etc). That said... If Raleigh is content with the status quo, don’t expect to get Apple and Amazon caliber job expansions. Many people on here have said they didn’t even want amazon or Apple and they don’t want to be an extension of Silicon Valley or Austin or Denver. Sometimes you have to stay fresh or change it up, stay relevant, etc. to grow. Adapt. That said, Raleigh will still continue to score jobs and be fast growing. Advanced Auto for example.

And to make one last point about mass transit. I know Raleigh just got a grant for a larger bus hub in downtown Raleigh. I don’t think it’s the best idea unless it had a few solid core major routes that had super high frequency with cross town routes intersecting them.

Having a central bus hub is very inefficient because there’s generally less cross town routes. Cross town routes I read save an average of 45 minutes from a trip

Last edited by Charlotte485; 12-17-2018 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I was car free in Charlotte by choice and now in DC. The near 20 miles of rail in clt with the bus system being completed reconfigured from a centralized bus hub uptown to a decentralized bus system utilizing each light rail station as mini bus hubs. DC already operates like that.

Charlotte’s revamped bus routes that now has way more cross town routes with an endpoint at ightrail stations

DC bus routes do the same generally terminating and originating at metro stops

DC/Baltimore commuter rail and metro and planned light rail map:

I think there’s wayyyy more people than New Yorkers who use mass transit daily and it’s convenient for them than you realize. I’m nearly certain mass transit had 0 to do with Austin being chosen, I think it was due to talent and culture (it’s a hip, cool place, etc). That said... If Raleigh is content with the status quo, don’t expect to get Apple and Amazon caliber job expansions. Many people on here have said they didn’t even want amazon or Apple and they don’t want to be an extension of Silicon Valley or Austin or Denver. Sometimes you have to stay fresh or change it up, stay relevant, etc. to grow. Adapt. That said, Raleigh will still continue to score jobs and be fast growing. Advanced Auto for example.
I know about the Purple Line extensio now under construction in Maryland, but can I find information about the Light Green Line extensions depicte on that map?

Old 12-17-2018, 06:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I know about the Purple Line extensio now under construction in Maryland, but can I find information about the Light Green Line extensions depicte on that map?

It’s VRE and MARC

Old 12-17-2018, 06:53 PM

715 posts, read 888,632 times
Think all these comparisons are unfair to Raleigh as it simply does not have the urban hipster movement and that should be seen as a good thing.

I understand all are enthralled with these soulless companies and glad we keep some of our soul without selling out which is how this place different and is a premier player in tech just not how y’all are thinking.

All these white kids who can’t talk with anyone and have no clue what it means to take care of anything other than themselves.... yep we lost big time on all this

Old 12-17-2018, 07:09 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
I understand all are enthralled with these soulless companies and glad we keep some of our soul without selling out which is how this place different and is a premier player in tech just not how y’all are thinking.
So Infosys, Red Hat and Advance Auto are "soulfull" companies that Raleigh didn't sell out for? The reality is that Raleigh put out the red carpet for both Apple and Amazon and would have welcomed them with open arms. Had they selected Raleigh, of course. Which they didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
All these white kids who can’t talk with anyone and have no clue what it means to take care of anything other than themselves.... yep we lost big time on all this
"All these white kids"? What?

Old 12-17-2018, 07:10 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,585,559 times
Quote:
Having a central bus hub is very inefficient because there’s generally less cross town routes. Cross town routes I read save an average of 45 minutes from a trip
While downtown is getting a lot of the attention with the new GoRaleigh bus station and planned bus station at Raleigh Union Station, there actually are going to be a bunch of major transfer points or even bus stations built around Wake County as part of the transit plan. And the routes on that Capital Area Transit map are going to be shortened up to improve schedule reliability and split up around these transfer points and run more frequently.

Map: http://goforwardnc.org/wp-content/up...ds-Updated.pdf

(Transit Centers, Enhanced Transfer Points, and Park and Ride Lots shown on the 2nd page)

It'll still be mostly a hub and spoke system around downtown Raleigh which sucks but building the transfer stations allows for more flexibility in the future when planning new routes since those new "hubs" are already there.

More info on route changes:
GoRaleigh - http://goforwardnc.org/wp-content/up...GO-RALEIGH.pdf
GoTriangle - http://goforwardnc.org/wp-content/up...O-TRIANGLE.pdf
GoCary - http://goforwardnc.org/wp-content/up...-3-GO-CARY.pdf

Old 12-17-2018, 07:39 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Quote:
It’s VRE and MARC
Oh

Old 12-17-2018, 08:59 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
While downtown is getting a lot of the attention with the new GoRaleigh bus station and planned bus station at Raleigh Union Station, there actually are going to be a bunch of major transfer points or even bus stations built around Wake County as part of the transit plan. And the routes on that Capital Area Transit map are going to be shortened up to improve schedule reliability and split up around these transfer points and run more frequently.

Map: http://goforwardnc.org/wp-content/up...ds-Updated.pdf

(Transit Centers, Enhanced Transfer Points, and Park and Ride Lots shown on the 2nd page)

It'll still be mostly a hub and spoke system around downtown Raleigh which sucks but building the transfer stations allows for more flexibility in the future when planning new routes since those new "hubs" are already there.

More info on route changes:
GoRaleigh - http://goforwardnc.org/wp-content/up...GO-RALEIGH.pdf
GoTriangle - http://goforwardnc.org/wp-content/up...O-TRIANGLE.pdf
GoCary - http://goforwardnc.org/wp-content/up...-3-GO-CARY.pdf
As well as the Moore Square station still serving the other end of downtown too.

BRT and commuter rail is the plan. Hopefully it will be implemented well.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:47 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
In Cupertino, Apple slowly expanded to suck up a good amount of real estate before they finally got to the point that building the spaceship was what they needed in order to house their operations there.
The spaceship happens to be a little less than a mile from from Infinite Loop.

Expanding an existing operation has some definite cost savings, especially in terms of administrative support. You don't need to train an entire new recruiting team... instead, you keep your existing recruiters (who've been hiring for the just-completed expansion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Seattle wanted to enact a small tax to help combat homelessness and Amazon threw a fit and started this whole HQ2 thing to begin with. Companies pretend to appear liberal but their actions speak a lot louder than words - the only reason some relocate to blue areas is due to yuge tax incentives like Boeing got for moving to Chicago.

Otherwise look at the migration patterns - many have relocated operations from the northern blue to the southern red states.
Your timing's off. HQ2 was announced in Sep 2017; the head-tax was approved in May 2018.

I lived in Chicago during the Boeing relocation, and the incentive packages were broadly similar to those offered by Dallas and Denver, the other finalists. What it came down to was (a) having a location between the Seattle civil-aviation and Arlington/Wichita military-aviation facilities, (b) speaking of civil aviation, no other mid-American cities have three airline hubs, (c) the then-CEO liked sailing and opera, which pretty much meant Chicago.

Two broader points:
1. Overall economic growth doesn't favor southern red states. Only one of the top ten states for 2017 GDP growth, and none of the top 10 states for per-capita GDP growth, were "southern red states."

2. As a rule, larger and better established companies, with more routinized operations, tend to locate operations in cheaper locations. Younger, faster growing, and more innovative companies tend not to. So simply looking at relocations, and not births/deaths, misses much of the picture when it comes to economic growth... or population growth, for that matter.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:11 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
The spaceship happens to be a little less than a mile from from Infinite Loop.

Expanding an existing operation has some definite cost savings, especially in terms of administrative support. You don't need to train an entire new recruiting team... instead, you keep your existing recruiters (who've been hiring for the just-completed expansion).

Your timing's off. HQ2 was announced in Sep 2017; the head-tax was approved in May 2018.

I lived in Chicago during the Boeing relocation, and the incentive packages were broadly similar to those offered by Dallas and Denver, the other finalists. What it came down to was (a) having a location between the Seattle civil-aviation and Arlington/Wichita military-aviation facilities, (b) speaking of civil aviation, no other mid-American cities have three airline hubs, (c) the then-CEO liked sailing and opera, which pretty much meant Chicago.

Two broader points:
1. Overall economic growth doesn't favor southern red states. Only one of the top ten states for 2017 GDP growth, and none of the top 10 states for per-capita GDP growth, were "southern red states."

2. As a rule, larger and better established companies, with more routinized operations, tend to locate operations in cheaper locations. Younger, faster growing, and more innovative companies tend not to. So simply looking at relocations, and not births/deaths, misses much of the picture when it comes to economic growth... or population growth, for that matter.
You might be right - here is a quote. I was remembering incorrectly. Amazon threatened to stop their expansion there.

Quote:
Then, in early May, before the council had even voted on the head tax, Amazon announced that it was halting construction on a new downtown Seattle tower. An Amazon spokesman told The Seattle Times that the company was considering subleasing space instead—implying that the company might leave Seattle if the head tax passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary