Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 07:44 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
It's also odd that the articles I'm reading keep saying that a lot of people are saying, "no comment". That really sounds like they're hiding something. Maybe I'm reading into it too much...
most everything I've read said "couldn't be reached for comment", which is far different. But I also haven't gone back to the news articles since ~ 10 am to see if anyone DID respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 07:48 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
You guys are nuts

If the mega office fell apart in rtp why would apple buy an Outpost just to preserve our feelings
Apple highlighted they are adding 500 jobs at a data center in Maiden. So obviously they’re not too upset my NC politics. And if the government and Wake officials were so blind sided and just knew Apple was coming, that leads me to believe politics, HB2, etc. wasn’t a big deal for them. They would’ve mentioned it or pushed back or there would’ve been clues. There’s 0 evidence to believe politics or HB2 has any impact at all. Also, from WRAL, it wasn’t incentives

Quote:

Austin’s incentive package was likely “much, much smaller” than what North Carolina was offering to Apple, he said. A $25 million grant from the Texas Enterprise Fund and an incentive from Travis County were the only enticements on the table there, he said.

Austin was probably a good fit as were the others for some reason. As noted by other posters, Austin was already home to a large Austin operation. It probably made complete sense to continue building out that campus.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
Great news for homebuyers this Spring, had that campus been announced for Raleigh it would’ve been a challenge to buy.

With the loss of Amazon and Apple, the Raleigh area home prices will plummet.
No. They won’t.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:26 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,710,427 times
Setting NC politics aside... some people say that RTP is obsolete because everybody wants to be downtown these days. Perhaps so. But given the outcomes on Apple and Amazon, the accomplishments of RTP in bringing IBM, Nortel, Glaxo, Burroughs Wellcome, etc to an absolutely unheralded Triangle in the 1960s and 1970s look even more remarkable in hindsight. Our current leaders are having a very difficult time repeating that degree of success.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:37 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,565,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post

I honestly feel that Apple's best days are behind it anyway (at least until they show they can innovate w/o Steve Jobs LOL) so maybe in 5-10 years we'll see the high costs of housing (including property taxes) in the Austin area, congestion and hassles there and be thankful...
Apple is a trillion dollar company that has tons of cash. They need to start investing heavily in enterprise-class cloud services and AI if they want to stay relevant.

Smart home products are gimmicky. Perhaps that's the lane they want to stay in?

Old 12-14-2018, 04:49 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,103 times
There was just something about this on NPR news, it will probably repeat. Interesting comment from one person saying that the appearance of consideration of one location being done to influence other locations.

Also made me wonder if prospective companies mine forums like this one for intel on these decisions.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:12 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Setting NC politics aside... some people say that RTP is obsolete because everybody wants to be downtown these days. Perhaps so. But given the outcomes on Apple and Amazon, the accomplishments of RTP in bringing IBM, Nortel, Glaxo, Burroughs Wellcome, etc to an absolutely unheralded Triangle in the 1960s and 1970s look even more remarkable in hindsight. Our current leaders are having a very difficult time repeating that degree of success.
RTP needs to evolve to a full "Live, Work, Play" area, with internal mixed use and dedicated internal mass transit that is connected to regional transit via hubs.
Of course, regional transit is woeful, but maybe? Some day?

Old 12-14-2018, 05:20 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
RTP needs to evolve to a full "Live, Work, Play" area, with internal mixed use and dedicated internal mass transit that is connected to regional transit via hubs.
Of course, regional transit is woeful, but maybe? Some day?
Not likely as long as the state maintains the current 10% cap on state funding for light/commuter rail projects.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:32 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Were we chasing waterfalls when we should of stuck to the rivers and the lakes that we're used too
LOL, yes lets run this state based on Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes brilliant philosophies, which by the way if the state had followed 50 years ago, RTP would be full of vacant tobacco and textile mills.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:38 AM

346 posts, read 339,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
Texas is a tale of two states. About half of the 28M population lives in the blue city centers of Dallas, Houston, Austin (and San Antonio). The remaining population lives in rural areas that typically vote Republican and give the state the overall red color. Austin for sure is more progressive than any North Carolina city regardless of NC being a predominantly blue state.

Austin also makes sense given Apple already has roots there.
NC is not a predominately blue. This is the state of Jesse Helms and since I’ve been here has voted just 1 time for a Dem in a presidential election. I hope we can avoid bills like HB2 as they draw negative headlines to the state. Not sure if it factored in Apple’s decision, but it certainly didn’t help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary