Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,446,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Saw someone on Twitter talk about how even though Apple's campus is in Austin, it's still a sprawling suburban campus isolated from the rest of the city (unlike Amazon and their search for an urban campus integrated with the city)
All the more reason RTP would have been a good fit, sitewise. So now the Triangle has lost out on both types of projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,998,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm talking about expanding an existing location vs starting up fresh in a new one.

That sort of money. And, yes, the NCGA may have sweetened the incentives pot, but the fact that they are already running a mini-campus there PLUS whatever Texas was offering them financially likely tipped those scales in their favor.

I do think if there's a lifestyle component it may be that Austin is seen as a more "edgy" locale than the Triangle, but we cannot become instantly edgy over here.
Listen to the cure
Become vegan
Vape

Old 12-13-2018, 09:25 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,690,523 times
I like the Wake County area and seriously considered making a move from the Dallas suburbs a few months back with my company.I ultimately decided against it for now,but overall I enjoyed our scouting visits to North Carolina...

-Texas came in 3rd for Amazon
-Got the Army Headquarters
-Got Apple
-Also got the new PGA Headquarters

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.pga.c...te-partnership

Desirability is relative..I think Raleigh has the potential to be an incredible metro area.

Texas has a lot going for it.I detest the weather here as I am a cold weather person.But the Texas suburbs are difficult to leave.Austin and Dallas have become magnets for young professionals.It is difficult to find comparable suburbs attached to cities like Austin and Dallas.Collin County suburbs are incredible.I choose to stay here despite the weather because everything else is so darn pleasant.Losing Apple to Texas is respectable and North Carolina has a bright future.

Last edited by CREW747; 12-13-2018 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 AM

52 posts, read 43,334 times
We have the General Assembly to thank for this one.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 AM

1,204 posts, read 789,654 times
One visit to Austin you will not be surprised why Apple chose this city over other places. It's huge. It's totally hip. It takes the best of the TX culture - BBQ, Willie Nelson, but blends it in a way that you never feel like you actually live in TX, a red state. It's very well off. There is a lot of money so that attracts people. A lot of Californian companies have been moving there for years... it has the infrastructure to attract young talent.

Most importantly, it is a known tech hub. Can you convince a VERY good tech school grad to take a job in Austin? Sure, you can. If Apple doesn't work out, there are tons of well-known startups and other tech companies. Can you do the same for RTP area?

Either NC needs to lose the political s**t-show reputation it's acquired recently, or Raleigh/Durham need to get their own strong identity as progressive places that can attract and retain talent no matter what kind of stupid situation the state gets itself into.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:41 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,580,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post
if it's due to TX offering more "incentives" than NC than I say 'good riddance Apple'.
Nope. Apple took comparatively little in state incentives, about $5,000/job. I haven't seen a figure on the property tax exemption, but ballparking it... wow, Texas property taxes are high, and that school district's getting a bum deal... could be above $20,000/job over the 15 years. Or $4,000, if it's just the county.

Seems like NC's baseline JDIG offer is around $12,000 per job per year, for 12 years. The new JDIG tailored to Apple was for 90% of personal income tax withholding for 30 years. For 5,000 jobs at $70K apiece, with a 5.5% state tax rate, that's $75,000 per job. (Apple apparently doesn't pay that grandly in Austin.)

Compare those to the $119K per job that NYC/NYS is paying to Amazon, and the $13K per that Virginia is paying for the same Amazon jobs. Which goes to show that these aren't just reverse auctions, because if it were, NY would've gotten all of HQ2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Does Austin have light rail?
Yes, and the site is 1.3 miles away from the light rail line... but a 4+ mile drive from the nearest station. Argh.

Fun fact: the nearest town name is Jollyville, Texas. Ho ho ho!

Last edited by paytonc; 12-13-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 09:41 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Listen to the cure
Become vegan
Vape
Well, I already listen to The Cure. I do eat some vegan stuff, but I think I couldn't go beyond pescatarian, really.

And, no vaping.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:42 AM

9,574 posts, read 7,418,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Saw someone on Twitter talk about how even though Apple's campus is in Austin, it's still a sprawling suburban campus isolated from the rest of the city (unlike Amazon and their search for an urban campus integrated with the city)
We talked about that months ago with the Amazon/Apple speculation that each company has different mindsets/cultures, with Apple being a more suburbs/office park kind of company, just look at the spaceship in Cupertino.

Could Apple have built a 1,000 ft. skyscraper in downtown San Jose or San Francisco, sure, but that's not their style. Amazon, on the other hand, is more of an urban/downtown kind of company. Is either style/mentality right or wrong, no, it's all relative with how they like/want to do things.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:48 AM

6,664 posts, read 5,639,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
We talked about that months ago with the Amazon/Apple speculation that each company has different mindsets/cultures, with Apple being a more suburbs/office park kind of company, just look at the spaceship in Cupertino.

Could Apple have built a 1,000 ft. skyscraper in downtown San Jose or San Francisco, sure, but that's not their style. Amazon, on the other hand, is more of an urban/downtown kind of company. Is either style/mentality right or wrong, no, it's all relative with how they like/want to do things.
Agreed - the point I'm trying to make is that people are pointing to the same things that Amazon was looking at as the reason why Raleigh didn't get Apple over Austin.......might not be the same case.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:06 AM

4,659 posts, read 3,859,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Listen to the cure
Become vegan
Vape
True, but vaping leads to popcorn lung. don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary