Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 08:39 PM

493 posts, read 1,386,672 times

Advertisements

Good luck guys, hope you do well! We've got a series of T-storms moving thru our area, haven't been able to get out up here for a bit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
We rented scooters in Key West this time. Great fun! Got us all around the island in a jiffy and easy to park on a busy holiday weekend. $65 for 24 hours. This will be our new routine when in KW.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
We rented scooters in Key West this time. Great fun! Got us all around the island in a jiffy and easy to park on a busy holiday weekend. $65 for 24 hours. This will be our new routine when in KW.
I just bought a scooter from my neighbor. He bought it almost new from a friend of his. He bought it for his wife - he has a harley, and wanted to get her to learn to ride, but she didn't like it - so he sold it to me. I had only 135 miles on it. Great gas mileage, and awesome fun, the sense of freedom is unreal, and you don't need a special drivers license to use it.

Just another fun toy to help us enjoy Florida living.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 PM

BH, are you launching on Tuesday? We are going to head out. According to what I saw online today, there were no gusts recorded over 15 and most of the day was 10MPH winds. We are going to be at the bait shop at 6 and launch by 7. Last day of grouper season.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
BH, are you launching on Tuesday? We are going to head out. According to what I saw online today, there were no gusts recorded over 15 and most of the day was 10MPH winds. We are going to be at the bait shop at 6 and launch by 7. Last day of grouper season.
Well, no pictures. We went out yesterday, and caught bait fish in the afternoon. Then we went through the pass for several hours and watched others catch fish. None for us.

Later we went behind cayo costa, and chummed the water and had several lines out for shark. We had several hits, and eventually hooked a 4' tarpon, which broke free 6' from the boat. Another line was tangled with it, and I was trying to reel it in simultaneously, and let it out simultaneously, and cut it off so it would not interfere with the fight.

So we stayed out till about 7:30 - 8:00. Then the wind just began to pick up so I said lets bring them in and go eat dinner. Unfortunately the weather became miserable. It took us 2 hours just to get to the middle of the harbor near Burnt Store - the more we headed east the worse it got, so we headed North for home. It took us until 11:30 to make it back. The storm caused my navigation lights to go out - so I have to get that fixed. No dinner - completely soaked! I never felt threatened, but every time I opened my eyes, another big splash would fill them so I couldn't see. I was hunkered down below the center console so I could see the gps and compass.

It was definitely a fishing trip the boys that were with me will never forget!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM

We went out today. Trip out from my house wasn't bad, was able to do about 22 knots most of the way, with a few bangs. Started in the Boca Pass with 2-3' seas. Caught and released many short grouper, one snapper and one nice size blue runner. Moved on to Bull Bay. No hookups, just us feeding the local fish our shrimp, but it was beautiful spot to get out of the wind and take in the flats. Moved on to the Myakka Cutoff and caught and released trout while anchored down in 20" of water. About a dozen fish on the day for the two of us. Afternoon winds were easier than the morning, surprisingly. Ran 47 miles on the day. Very enjoyable afternoon.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:20 AM

Default Trip

Quote:
We went out today. Trip out from my house wasn't bad, was able to do about 22 knots most of the way, with a few bangs. Started in the Boca Pass with 2-3' seas. Caught and released many short grouper, one snapper and one nice size blue runner. Moved on to Bull Bay. No hookups, just us feeding the local fish our shrimp, but it was beautiful spot to get out of the wind and take in the flats. Moved on to the Myakka Cutoff and caught and released trout while anchored down in 20" of water. About a dozen fish on the day for the two of us. Afternoon winds were easier than the morning, surprisingly. Ran 47 miles on the day. Very enjoyable afternoon.
MA, any size to the Trout?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
MA, any size to the Trout?
No size to speak of...about 12" but beautiful color and markings.

I was so tired when I posted, I forgot to report of the one that got away.
While in 47 feet of water in Boca Grande Pass, with a 3/0 circle hook, 80# leader and a huge live shrimp for bait, I hooked into I don't know what.
It wasn't a snag because in the end, my 2 oz sinker, swivel and leader were in tact. Only my hook was gone and there was no curly Q on the end. It was a clean break off the leader. My rig was a Penn 114H on a Penn 6/0 rod with 50# mono.

The fight lasted 20 minutes and kicked my 280lb azz. Because the fish didn't drag the boat out to sea, I don't suspect shark. Because nothing ever jumped to the surface or ran with the drag I don't suspect tarpon.

The only thing big enough to do this was a Goliath Grouper (aka Jewfish).
It would pull an inch or two of my line and I had my buddy use the outboard to try to regain a foot or two but there came a point where I just had to hold on. The 6/0 rod was competely bent over when we weren't powering forward. Finally, the line snapped right above the hook.

Like I said, there was no evidence of a snag on my sinker. Your thoughts?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:14 PM

Sounds like a Grouper since it didn't wander. Any cover around the area that you know of? Docks, so fourth??

Old 06-01-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
Sounds like a Grouper since it didn't wander. Any cover around the area that you know of? Docks, so fourth??

It was in the middle of the Pass, so no docks but my bottom machine showed plenty of structure on the floor; i.e. rocks for him to wedge into.
I was hoping it was a nice gag of keeper size, since yesterday was the last day of the season to harvest. I still have yet to catch a keeper grouper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte