Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 08:12 AM

493 posts, read 1,386,132 times

Advertisements

MA, did you get out this weekend? If so where to? Do any good? How about you BH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 02:05 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
MA, did you get out this weekend? If so where to? Do any good? How about you BH?
No I spent the weekend trimming my 27 sable palms...uhggh. Hard work.
Today, however, while I was working I saw tarpon feeding on mullet right behind my yard. I dropped the pruning pole and grabbed the fishing pole. I cast a top water plug at them a few times but to no avail. I was thinking how funny it would be to hook my first tarpon in my own backyard.

I have my eye on the wind for the upcoming week to see when the best day to launch will be. I'm off for two weeks.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:16 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
No I spent the weekend trimming my 27 sable palms...uhggh. Hard work.
Today, however, while I was working I saw tarpon feeding on mullet right behind my yard. I dropped the pruning pole and grabbed the fishing pole. I cast a top water plug at them a few times but to no avail. I was thinking how funny it would be to hook my first tarpon in my own backyard.

I have my eye on the wind for the upcoming week to see when the best day to launch will be. I'm off for two weeks.
I went out, caught a bunch of sea trout, and two black tip sharks. My brother caught a cormaran, and he managed to cut it free, but not until it bit him. I have a picture - I'll try to post it later.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 PM

463 posts, read 866,561 times
Has nothing to do with fishing but funny just the same

HIS AND HER DIARY FOR THE SAME DAY

Her Diary:

Tonight, I thought my husband was acting weird. We had

made plans to meet at a nice restaurant for dinner. I was

shopping with my friends all day long, so I thought he was

upset at the fact that I was a bit late, but he made no

comment on it. Conversation wasn't flowing, so I suggested

that we go somewhere quiet so we could talk. He agreed,

but he didn't say much. I asked him what was wrong; he

said, 'Nothing.' I asked him if it was my fault that he was

upset. He said he wasn't upset, that it had nothing to do

with me, and not to worry about it.

On the way home, I told him that I loved him. He smiled slightly, and kept driving. I can't explain his behavior; I don't

know why he didn't say, 'I love you, too.'

When we got home, I felt as if I had lost him completely, as

if he wanted nothing to do with me anymore. He just sat

there quietly, and watched TV. He continued to seem

distant and absent. Finally, with silence all around us, I

decided to go to bed. About 15 minutes later, he came to

bed. But I still felt that he was distracted, and his thoughts

were somewhere else. He fell asleep -- I cried.

I don't know what to do. I'm almost sure that his thoughts

are with someone else. My life is a disaster.

His Diary:

Boat wouldn't start; can't figure out why.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Fished all day. Took out my youngest son (15) visiting from AZ. Went to BGP and it paid off. First line in the water at 11:00 AM. First fish on the line at 11:00:05 AM. My boy landed 11 fish and I landed 8. Before you bust my chops, you guys know the captain always fishes the least. We caught and released red grouper, gag grouper, blue runner, mangrove snapper, one cat that stabbed me like a two dollar hooker escaping her pimp, and an alien fish we have yet to identify. I took a pic but I'm too tired to post it now. I think it may have been a lion fish. I will post it tomorrow.

I took the kid home at 3PM, by his request, and I re-launched at 4. I tried the mangroves at Aligator Bay and the Myakka Cutoff. Nothing. Not a darn bite. If anyone wants some free popping corks, they are hanging in the trees where I cast them. Should have not let my good luck charm off the boat. My ride home at sunset was nasty winds and waves. However, it was a great day for my son and I together.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 AM

Default Report

Quote:
Fished all day. Took out my youngest son (15) visiting from AZ. Went to BGP and it paid off. First line in the water at 11:00 AM. First fish on the line at 11:00:05 AM. My boy landed 11 fish and I landed 8. Before you bust my chops, you guys know the captain always fishes the least. We caught and released red grouper, gag grouper, blue runner, mangrove snapper, one cat that stabbed me like a two dollar hooker escaping her pimp, and an alien fish we have yet to identify. I took a pic but I'm too tired to post it now. I think it may have been a lion fish. I will post it tomorrow.

I took the kid home at 3PM, by his request, and I re-launched at 4. I tried the mangroves at Aligator Bay and the Myakka Cutoff. Nothing. Not a darn bite. If anyone wants some free popping corks, they are hanging in the trees where I cast them. Should have not let my good luck charm off the boat. My ride home at sunset was nasty winds and waves. However, it was a great day for my son and I together.

Great report MA, it will be interesting to see the pic of the anonymous fish. Post the other fish pics if you have them.

I went out with my Son and his friend yesterday by a local lake, we all caught fish, they kicked my butt for the first two hours, I missed one fish after another, then started hooking up and I think we ended the day with about 7 or 8 bass each. By the way, I found out what my boat does with 3 people and gear in boat on top end, my son wanted me to give his friend a thrill so I had them hold on to their hats and trimmed the motor all the way down, gave it the gun, on plane little over 2 seconds, trimmed up on beatiful calm lake water, topped out at around 70! Didn't think I could hit that with 3 people in the boat. Needless to say my Son's friend got his first taste of riding in a bass boat!

My Son leaves next week for Navy boot camp, we are empty nesters officially on Monday.

I'm going to try to get out with him one more time before he leaves and do a little Crappie fishing.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Love that, Pat!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Fox, thank you for your son and thanks to him for his service. My oldest boy enlisted at 17 and served in Iraq. He made it home and now works for the same company as I, but in Arizona.

We caught so many fish yesterday, there wasn't much time for photos. I did take the below shot of my Billy with his first Gag Grouper. The weird fish was identified by a local captain as being a Gulf Toadfish, pictured below.

The other thing I forgot to share was how choppy the seas were on the way out. Not normally news here but when we arrived at BGP I noticed I had lost a light rod with my newest reel from the tee top rocket launcher. It was a Penn Fierce 4000 on a Shimano 6'6" rod. Dagnabit. I liked that rig. Oh well, I have a twin for it so now I just have reason to buy another new rig. I feel lucky because I had 4 rigs up there and only lost 1. I will certainly be more careful about what goes up there in the future though. Maybe start using small bungee cords to lock them down.

Pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-img00385-20110607-1110.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-img00387-20110607-1336.jpg  

Old 06-08-2011, 01:54 PM

MA, maybe BH has a remedy for the rod retention issue, but I was thinking a bungee or similar type arrangement, take a look at some of the other boats similar to yours to see what they are doing, might be someone has a better long term solution.

Nice pics, that is one weird looking fish!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:19 PM

463 posts, read 866,561 times
Quote:
Fox, thank you for your son and thanks to him for his service. My oldest boy enlisted at 17 and served in Iraq. He made it home and now works for the same company as I, but in Arizona.

We caught so many fish yesterday, there wasn't much time for photos. I did take the below shot of my Billy with his first Gag Grouper. The weird fish was identified by a local captain as being a Gulf Toadfish, pictured below.

The other thing I forgot to share was how choppy the seas were on the way out. Not normally news here but when we arrived at BGP I noticed I had lost a light rod with my newest reel from the tee top rocket launcher. It was a Penn Fierce 4000 on a Shimano 6'6" rod. Dagnabit. I liked that rig. Oh well, I have a twin for it so now I just have reason to buy another new rig. I feel lucky because I had 4 rigs up there and only lost 1. I will certainly be more careful about what goes up there in the future though. Maybe start using small bungee cords to lock them down.

Pics below.
I think We caught one of those a couple years ago a guy said it was a mother in law fish. has a couple spikes on its back under the skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte