Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 03:14 PM

493 posts, read 1,386,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
All over WNY they do fish frys every Friday night. Down here they don't. They have a lot of seafood restaurant, but people down here don't know about the Friday Night Fish Fry ritual / religion that goes on up north. You will have to do your own, and I do. I bought a small deep fryer, but I have to use it out on the Lanai, and keep the doors closed when I use it. I am lucky I can even bring it in the house to clean it up. And, I also usually wait for my wife to go for a day or so, so I can have a fish fry.
You and I have alot in common, my wife goes nuts when we(I) fry fish, already pre-warned me against my proposed Crappie fry in the next couple of weeks. It just isn't right!

Hey, in WNY do they have Supper Clubs? We sort of have something like that around here, but they were more popular back in Northern IL, and Wisconsin. You would get a great fish fry on Friday nights then Prime Rib on Saturday. The fish was either Cod, Haddock, or Pollack, or Lake Perch. Beer batter of course!

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 04:02 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Stuck in Virginia Beach; at least on the beach, hanging out in the oceanfront bar at the Hampton Inn. Flight home tomorrow, Jimmy Buffett on Saturday in Tampa.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:19 PM

MA, so does that mean no fishing this weekend?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:39 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
You and I have alot in common, my wife goes nuts when we(I) fry fish, already pre-warned me against my proposed Crappie fry in the next couple of weeks. It just isn't right!

Hey, in WNY do they have Supper Clubs? We sort of have something like that around here, but they were more popular back in Northern IL, and Wisconsin. You would get a great fish fry on Friday nights then Prime Rib on Saturday. The fish was either Cod, Haddock, or Pollack, or Lake Perch. Beer batter of course!

Rich

Yeah, Haddock was the fish fry of choice, but they did all of that and whiting.

They didn't so much have supper clubs, but did get together for many things starting on Thursday night and ending early on Sundays.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:20 AM

BH, been out lately, catch anything worth taking a picture of?

Old 04-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Hey all. First time online in days. Came home from VA Beach Friday, departed early Saturday for JB concert in Tampa and spent the night there. Came home long enough to mow the lawn and departed for the Fishing gear show at Charlotte Fairgrounds. Got some great deals on hooks and lures. Bought a nice satellite image of the Harbor to put up at home and show guests. Resisted buying another Penn combo, although it was a smoking deal. That April show is where you need to spend your annual gear budget. Great deals. It was called the Nautical Flea Market. Anyone else go? Any fish this weekend BH?

Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 PM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Hey all. First time online in days. Came home from VA Beach Friday, departed early Saturday for JB concert in Tampa and spent the night there. Came home long enough to mow the lawn and departed for the Fishing gear show at Charlotte Fairgrounds. Got some great deals on hooks and lures. Bought a nice satellite image of the Harbor to put up at home and show guests. Resisted buying another Penn combo, although it was a smoking deal. That April show is where you need to spend your annual gear budget. Great deals. It was called the Nautical Flea Market. Anyone else go? Any fish this weekend BH?

I would have loved to be there .I have one of those big satalite images in my fishing room .I stick pins in it and mark down the date and what was caught.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 AM

Off to Puerto Rico for the week. Strictly business days, no fishing. Perhaps imbibe in a few rum drinks each evening. Sure wonder how BH's fishing trip went last Friday.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:04 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Off to Puerto Rico for the week. Strictly business days, no fishing. Perhaps imbibe in a few rum drinks each evening. Sure wonder how BH's fishing trip went last Friday.
OK, fishing up date. My guest left and we had one good day out on the water. We caught a ton of bait fish then took a couple passes through Boca Grande Pass. We caught a nice shark, and one of my buddies hooked up a big one. Then I made a rookie mistake. We had the fish hooked on a very stout rod, and I had the 150# test on it with a 200 steel leader and a huge strong hook. So I tightened the drag so he could put some real muscle into the fight. The pole bent way over (again very stout rod), and he fought it for a few minutes. It was dragging the boat around. I kept saying come-on don't be a girl haul that fish up. His arms began to quiver, and he is a very strong guy in good shape. I figured I tie him up, pass the rod to the other buddies, and then after the fish was all tuckered out, I'd be the victor finishing off the fight. Then the darn fish decided to show its strength, and pulled and pulled and pulled some more - something had to give. Yep, it was the line!! It broke 150# test line. So we lost that fish, and I feel terrible - I'll never do that again! That was one huge fish to do that!

Later we caught a several more sharks - so we all caught something.

I did get my buddy hooked on fishing! We all had a great time, and can't wait to do it all again, ((with a little looser drag next time!!)

Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 PM

Great report BH, did you get to see the shark at all, I wonder if it was a Hammerhead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte